Following program to a T and it's not working.

Replies

• beth0277
    beth0277 Posts: 217 Member
    Are you factoring in water retention, from sodium or your time of the month? My time of the month, causes me to gain 5 Pounds & even though mine only lasts for 5 days, I start retaining about 1 week before & lose all waste 2 days after. So for approximately 2 weeks, every month; I don't know what my accurate weight/measurements are.

I'm not factoring anything like that in only because I have no idea when that will be. Since I stopped BC for a month, I assume it will be a while before that happens as my cycles are irregular. I shouldn't have stopped it, but it was just a bad timing issue with not having the prescription and then it being a week late.
  • beth0277
    To answer the question, yes, I'm pretty new to working out. I've only started in the last month or so and only been consistent the last 2-3 weeks. I guess maybe it could be a muscle repair thing? I'm going to email my doctor today and ask her about getting back on the BC. I don't know if she will make me wait until my cycle starts.
  • beth0277
    I've had my thyroid checked in the past and never had an issue. It's probably been a year or so since it was checked.
  • beth0277
    tjwing001 wrote: »
    Are you drinking enough water? Do you physically feel different? Have you noticed any changes that you can focus on instead of the scale for the moment? I can't think of anything more frustrating that losing weight. You CAN do this... be patient. :smile:

I'm drinking at least 100 ounces of water a day. I don't feel much different, physically. My gma who hadn't seen me for a few months said "You've really lost a lot of weight" but I don't notice a physical change nor do my clothes seem to fit any differently.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Sorry this is going slow for you. I agree with others thinking that you have started a new exercise program and have a bit of muscle inflammation or temporary hormonal water weight.

you are losing weight. Keep at what you are doing and evaluate it then. I think you will see results at that time and your body will tell you what adjustments to make.
  • QS82
    QS82 Posts: 65 Member
    I can't offer better advice than you've already had but I can sympathise. It's taken me four months to lose 9lbs, which is the same time taken for me to lose 2 stone a couple of years ago, doing the same things. It can be immensely frustrating but as long as the general trend is down, please don't get too disheartened. I find the longer it takes, the easier it is to remain consistent because it's much more like daily life than a diet. I know that's not much of a consolation, but hopefully it'll mean keeping it off is less difficult.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    beth0277 wrote: »
    The loss from 200 to 193 has probably taken 2 months. I bought the scale a few weeks ago and haven't lost hardly anything since then.

So you've lost a pound a week on average. So in reality no issue other than your mind not excepting the non linear part of weightloss. Keep doing what your doing and stop looking for issues where there are none . Good luck
  • Damien_Scott
    Damien_Scott Posts: 108 Member
    If you are using MFP to track exercise and are eating back any calories burned then that might be the issue.

Water retention is another issue when starting new workouts. Muscle gain as well.

And then sometimes you just it the wall. I've done it a couple times in the past couple months.
  • beth0277
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    The loss from 200 to 193 has probably taken 2 months. I bought the scale a few weeks ago and haven't lost hardly anything since then.

So you've lost a pound a week on average. So in reality no issue other than your mind not excepting the non linear part of weightloss. Keep doing what your doing and stop looking for issues where there are none . Good luck

Well, I see where you are coming from, but most of the loss happened at the very beginning and for the last few weeks it has been nonexistent.
  • beth0277
    If you are using MFP to track exercise and are eating back any calories burned then that might be the issue.

Water retention is another issue when starting new workouts. Muscle gain as well.

And then sometimes you just it the wall. I've done it a couple times in the past couple months.

I enter my exercise into MFP but do not eat any of the calories back. I do not use MFP to calculate calories burned, but use my Polar chest strap.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Is your period due soon? It's common not to lose anything before it comes (or even gain a little).
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    I have to agree with those telling you that weight loss is not linear. I lost 4lbs one week near the beginning of logging, then I didn't lose anything at all for the next several weeks. Since then it's been slow going where it's been less than 1lb per week, sometimes even showing a gain. It sucks but like someone else said, it's good to lose slowly as it helps retrain how we think about food and it may be easier to maintain! Good luck and keep going!
  • beth0277
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Is your period due soon? It's common not to lose anything before it comes (or even gain a little).

Technically it probably should be within a week or so, but since I stopped bc it may be up to 3 months before I start based on my history of cycles.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    A lot of people blame BC for weight gain, but the truth is, it merely effects the hormones which can impact water weight retention and hunger levels. In my experience, this has been as equally true going off the pill as it has going on.

If you've quit the pill in the last month, it's quite possible this is a hormonal adjustment. The last time I went on, it took around two months for my body to get in the full swing of things. (I know you're not eating more, just lumping hunger in with water weight because it can happen.)

I do agree that you're seeing normal losses, though, so don't give up! As a turtle-paced loser myself, I can say that this is the way it goes sometimes.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Another vote for "weight loss isn't linear".

Some weeks I lose 2lbs, some weeks I lose 0.1 lbs. You have to look at your trend over time. By that I mean look at what you've lost in the last two months and judge your progress based on that. By that measure, you're losing at a good rate.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Does doing cardio cause an increase in water weight? I've been doing a lot of cardio, did an hour yesterday, so I'm just wondering if that makes a difference?

Starting a new exercise program or increasing intensity can cause water weight. I've experienced that with cardio as well as weights. One week is never going to tell you that much because of stuff like water weight. The BC/cycle thing could be playing a role too -- when I was actively losing I'd always lose better the week of and after my period and lose poorly the week before. People have different patterns, so you simply need to learn yours (or just accept that there may be some weirdness).
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    I would advise taking the long view for another 4-6 weeks, continuing doing what you are doing, and re-assess.
  • beth0277
    So, given this info, should I skip my cardio workouts for a few days and see if that helps or should I just not concentrate as much on the scale?
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    So, given this info, should I skip my cardio workouts for a few days and see if that helps or should I just not concentrate as much on the scale?

Keep doing your workouts, just adjust your expectations. Look at weight loss over the long term (months) instead of the short term (days/week).