SEPTEMBER Challenge

Options

Replies

• janmoulder2
    janmoulder2 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Wow, Kathy!! You're on a roll! I'm impressed that you are working with the tape even though you aren't thrilled with her voice. I haven't been listening to it. I'm thinking I need to hear it again. I'm kind of getting lazy with food choices.

Congratulations for staying on target!
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Did okay this past week. Met steps goal of 5 miles per day. Am doing weight training every other day, but still cutting back on minutes for that as much of the PT is with bands, and the PT routines take 40 minutes total. Trying to stand up straighter. Had what I hope is last PT session, and they said jogging is off the table, but that's fine. I can cut down on some of the ankle exercises, they said, so I'll get back a few minutes for other weight bearing exercise for bone density. Still trying to get on top of the eat back calories for maintenance thing. Seem to still be bouncing around in a 6 pound range, but weight's mainly staying pretty close to target.
    Noticed my ankle felt better at end of day when my weight dropped to the bottom of the 6-pound range, and am toying with using that as the target weight.
    Oh, and almost tapered off cortisone!!!!! Will see gastroenterologist Thursday.
  • janmoulder2
    Options
    Great news Sharon!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    sharondtd wrote: »
    Did okay this past week. Met steps goal of 5 miles per day. Am doing weight training every other day, but still cutting back on minutes for that as much of the PT is with bands, and the PT routines take 40 minutes total. Trying to stand up straighter. Had what I hope is last PT session, and they said jogging is off the table, but that's fine. I can cut down on some of the ankle exercises, they said, so I'll get back a few minutes for other weight bearing exercise for bone density. Still trying to get on top of the eat back calories for maintenance thing. Seem to still be bouncing around in a 6 pound range, but weight's mainly staying pretty close to target.
    Noticed my ankle felt better at end of day when my weight dropped to the bottom of the 6-pound range, and am toying with using that as the target weight.
    Oh, and almost tapered off cortisone!!!!! Will see gastroenterologist Thursday.

Well done. Hope you get off the cortisone. I am amazed you have lost any weight while on that stuff.
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have totally blown this. I cannot get around the emotional/stressful eating.
    I just keep eating and eating. So I am quitting until Oct. Hopefully, I can get
    a hold on this.

If any of you have ideas for me I would be very grateful for your help.

Thanks
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 456 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Rebamae:

Don't be too hard on yourself. Relax.
    (I know; easier said than done; been there, done that)

Give yourself permission to have a snack when you want to eat.
    Then, try sitting down at the table with it; put your snack on one of your Best Dinner plates.
    Have a cup of tea, or coffee with your snack. Listen to some nice music while you eat it.
    Go crazy; light a candle too. o:)

For one thing, doing the prep will slow you down.
    Sitting down will give you time to take a breath.

We're all works in progress.

Thinking about you..

g89shogjj2j4.jpg

• retirehappy
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Rebamae wrote: »
    Hi

I have totally blown this. I cannot get around the emotional/stressful eating.
    I just keep eating and eating. So I am quitting until Oct. Hopefully, I can get
    a hold on this.

If any of you have ideas for me I would be very grateful for your help.

Thanks

Leaving isn't a good action plan. LOG, LOG, LOG and add notes about how you are feeling when you do eat. We all blow it from time to time. Look at what is triggering this, dealing with the trigger is the only way to STOP it in its tracks.

I also agree with Cris's idea too.

I would also suggest not going too low on carbs, they feed our brain and I find if I go too low, I get stressed, depressed, and usually make bad decisions. I'm not saying binge on carbs, but about 50 grams in the morning hours seems to have a tranquilizing effect on me. See if adding some good carbs back will help you gain some control. Have your protein along with them and see how you go. Low fat or no fat yogurt works well for me, it has both C&P, I add a bit of fruit to up the carb count.

{{{HUGS}}}
  • janmoulder2
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Oh Reba, don't quit. I agree wholeheartedly with Joell. Deal with the triggers. Examine the stressors and your emotional reactions. Get to the bottom of this or it will continue to sideline you. Like everyone else here I've been there too and know how hard and scary it can be. But we're here to support you! Don't abandon your support system.

And like Cris said, eat what and when you want and do it mindfully. Maybe when you log you could comment on your feelings and grade your stress level. Do you journal? That's very helpful for some. Getting your thoughts and feelings down on paper can help to objectify them. Do you have someone you can talk to honestly (and who will listen!)? Express yourself!! Scream, yell, cry, throw things (safely of course!) You can do this!! I believe in you!
  • janmoulder2
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Oh, and have you really "totally blown" this? I don't think so. You're just having a rough time right now. My favorite saying is "this too shall pass".
  • CrisEBTrue
    Options
    I like Jan's suggestion about journaling. B)

I did it years ago when I was going through a Very Bad Time. I found it helped to WRITE it out, say whatever I felt and then, at the end of the day, I could turn the page and realize..

there in front of me was a whole new blank page, a new day, right in front of me.

I still do it from time to time; particularly when, like now, I am frustrated with the diabetes crap.
    (Be glad I don't dump EVERYTHING here. LOL o:) )
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    (((Reba))) you have NOT totally blown it if you are still here writing to us. Keep coming back and just telling it like it is, you WILL get through this, I'm sure.

I've had several months of struggling with good days and bad days and I am finally beginning to feel that I am getting stable again. I have been using a self-hypnosis program that seems to be really helping, and that does involve some journaling and becoming aware of my emotional eating triggers as well.

Every morning is a new day, a chance to start fresh. Maybe Sept. 24 is just as good as Oct. 1 to get up and say ... "ok, maybe today can be a good day."

<3 Kathy
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Thank you to each of you. I so appreciate all of your suggestions which I plan to incorporate into my life right now. I know I need to get outside and walk. There is not a single reason why I can't - just laziness on my part.
    Again, Thanks!!
  • CrisEBTrue
    Options
    Thought for today:

mtnmpcpitejt.jpg
  • seeingthelight
    seeingthelight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Love your pictures and your spirit Chis!
  • janmoulder2
    Options
    I sure wish there was a 'like' button for these posts! Love that smiley sun, Cris!!
  • mxchana
    Options
    Thanks for the great graphic, Cris - that's really what this group is so good at! ~ Kathy
  • CrisEBTrue
    Options
    <3 You've all been very helpful and encouraging to me, so I can only try to pass it on.

:)
  • mxchana
    Options
    Sunday is my weigh-in day ... and compared with the end of August I am down 5 pounds. I still have more to lose to get to where I was at the beginning of my vacation in mid-August ... but I am very happy about this! Being careful with my food plan and getting extra exercise is working... gee, whadya know, huh? ;) ~ Kathy
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Kathy a good result for sure.
  • CrisEBTrue
    Options
    <3 Congratulations!!