Gained 10 lbs in 1 Month Total Nightmare

twofingerspeacepeaceforever
twofingerspeacepeaceforever Posts: 6 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I don't know what went wrong but, maybe it had something to do with the protein shakes I started which is this tiny powder scoop you mix with water and it's sugarfree, gluten-free, and vegan so I figured it was healthy and assists losing weight. I went from 180lbs eating lightly and having only 1 protein shake a day think I was losing weight then at doctors appt find out I'm 190!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't even look 190 I look 140 but the scale says 190 at doctors...... I don't even notice weight gain I'm surprised. Now I'm faced with having to find an extreme diet plan, I'm only 28 years old, I'm 5 feet tall, I CANNOT weigh 190!!!!!!!!!!!! This is my worst nightmare.

What can I do aside from managing my calorie intake? I'm thinking of very little carbs, no protein powder, and just high protein in meat to burn carbs stored in fat.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Did you weigh on the same scale? Was the previous weight of 180 on the same scale at the doctor?
  • Yes the previous weight on the same scale was 180.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    I do a protein shake too but you have to weigh that scoop out. When I do a scoop, it always seems to be quite a bit more than what the container lists for the weight of one serving size.

But I've also heard that a doctor's scale can be really off from our home scales, so that could be. Did you weigh yourself at home before or after? Could it be a scale discrepancy?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    You don't need an extreme diet plan, you just need to cut your calories below what you are using.

Your in shock right now, try not to make a huge change without giving yourself time to adjust. You can do this :)
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    You can overeat "healthy" things too. How high cal was that protein shake?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    I don't know what went wrong but, maybe it had something to do with the protein shakes I started which is this tiny powder scoop you mix with water and it's sugarfree, gluten-free, and vegan so I figured it was healthy and assists losing weight. I went from 180lbs eating lightly and having only 1 protein shake a day think I was losing weight then at doctors appt find out I'm 190!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't even look 190 I look 140 but the scale says 190 at doctors...... I don't even notice weight gain I'm surprised. Now I'm faced with having to find an extreme diet plan, I'm only 28 years old, I'm 5 feet tall, I CANNOT weigh 190!!!!!!!!!!!! This is my worst nightmare.

What can I do aside from managing my calorie intake? I'm thinking of very little carbs, no protein powder, and just high protein in meat to burn carbs stored in fat.

There is the possibility that the weigh in was overly inflated, especially if you weighed in different clothes, shoes, under different levels of hydration, water retention, different times of the month, etc. So you may not need to panic just yet.

There's no need for an extreme diet plan. Set up your profile with MFP, track your food, stay within your calorie goals, and try to eat plenty of foods with good nutrients. Cutting your carbs is personal preference. If you feel better doing that, then great! But just be aware that it's not necessary for weight loss.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

• That's a possibly I'm going to buy a scale today to see if that's the case. A digital one. If I still am 190 according to new scale from store then something is seriously wrong because this isn't normal to gain 10 lbs in 1 month, that would be like gaining 2 to 3 lbs a week.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Different scales. What does your scale read? Did you weight with shoes fully dressed? Water retention. Menustation. Weighing and measuring food. Glycogen stores I know its crazy...ive been there too just like the majority.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited September 2015
    That's a possibly I'm going to buy a scale today to see if that's the case. A digital one. If I still am 190 according to new scale from store then something is seriously wrong because this isn't normal to gain 10 lbs in 1 month, that would be like gaining 2 to 3 lbs a week.

I gained 10 lbs in a month. For me it was about 6 lbs of muscle and 2 lbs of fat and 2 lbs of water. I was vegetarian and then added a couple servings of meat each day. Guess I was over maintenance, though... Are you lifting weights?

Try not to stress out this much. Track your calories, healthy food or no.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    That's a possibly I'm going to buy a scale today to see if that's the case. A digital one. If I still am 190 according to new scale from store then something is seriously wrong because this isn't normal to gain 10 lbs in 1 month, that would be like gaining 2 to 3 lbs a week.

Except, if you buy a new scale, that one will be calibrated differently, and will likely be different.

Don't put such a huge emphasis on one weigh in. As it's already been said, it could be that you happen to be retaining water and wearing heavier shoes, or maybe your doctor's appointment happened at a different time of day from your usual weigh in, which could also change things.

Even if you really did gain 10 lbs though, it's not a reason to panic. Set yourself a good deficit, not an extreme one, and continue working out for a little extra burn (and mood enhancing endorphins, which can help improve your frame of mind).

I would also take a closer look at that protein shake and make sure you're weighing out the calorie count you believe it to have. One could absolutely believe that a vegan, sugar-free protein shake would help you lose - but sometimes products like that can be hiding calories.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member

Hey,

It's just a number...

Couple of things can be going on

- you're on your period or close to it, this means you can gain upwards of 10lbs
    - The body stores water to deal with muscle repair
    - Seriously it's just a number ...

Anyways, if you find you are obsessed with the number on the scale I'd speak to someone as it can be a serious issue.

• cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    You don't need and extreem "diet" you just need to stay within your calorie goal. Set up you profile and eat whatever you want but stay within your range. Good luck to ya!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Please, please forget the 'extreme diet' idea - PLEASE!
    This won't work. It won't be sustainable and it is so, so bad for your body. Give yourself a break, there could be so many factors at play here. It's very unlikely you have gained 10lb in a month especially if you have kept at a deficit. Weighing yourself on a different scale at a different time of day can definitely equal a different number than you are used to. The posters above have offered some great suggestions as to what could be going on but the important thing is to breathe and carry on being healthy and happy - you'll work this out. :)
  • ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    I don't know what went wrong but, maybe it had something to do with the protein shakes I started which is this tiny powder scoop you mix with water and it's sugarfree, gluten-free, and vegan so I figured it was healthy and assists losing weight.

Protein shakes can have lots of calories. The ultimate thing that makes you lose weight is having a caloric deficit, not specific types of foods, or cutting carbs, etc. It would be entirely possible to put on a lot of weight from eating large portions of food that we would consider "healthy" foods (even fruits and vegetables still contain calories!). For example, nuts contain lots of healthy goodness for your body, but have a surprisingly large amount of calories for just a small handful.

If you stick to the number of calories that MFP tells you to eat, you will lose weight. There's no point doing an "extreme diet", just eat less calories each day (you can still eat lots of food, just have smaller portions or choose lower calorie options)
  • cjmastersonkp
    cjmastersonkp Posts: 1 Member
    It was probably the time of day you got weighed...many things can make the numbers on the scale off...water retention...a full bowel...if you just ate...etc...that is why I never base my progress on a number...but instead, on how I feel and how my clothes fit...I totally understand your fear/panic....But, like my hubby always says, "This is just a minor little hiccup...you can do anything you set your mind on...just refocus on your game plan and take it one day at a time...one step at a time and you will eventually reach your goals."
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    As mentioned above, there are numerous reasons why you might have "gained" 10 lbs.

Buying a new scale though is a good move, but do not compare your initial weight to the one from the doctor. Start afresh. Note your initial weight from your new scale and weigh yourself under the same (!) circumstances: at the same time of the day, e.g. after you went to the washroom, nude and preferably right in the morning.

Also, yes protein shakes do have calories! So log them. Actually make sure you log EVERYTHING you put into your mouth and if you can - get a food scale. It is very easy to underestimate portions! I never thought 30g of oatmeal would be so little!

One thing that really helped me tons, was and is to cut unnecessary calories from drinks! Even if it is a healthy orange juice, they usually contain a lot of sugar and calories. I am now drinking only water, tea or coffee. By just cutting my beloved Coke (I know it contains super high calories...) I lost 12 lbs in no time.

Make small changes to your diet, nothing too drastically as it is much more important that you can keep up those changes long term! A bit more veggies as they are filling you up nicely without containing too many calories...

If you can, start doing some form of exercise and if it is "just" walking, any kind of movement helps. Try and do a bit more each week.

Most importantly, do not panick! If you log your food meticulously and make sure you stay under your allowance you should steadily lose weight.

Best of luck
    Stef.
    P.S. I have been successfully in maintenance for a year now so it does work for me.
  • lezerlies
    lezerlies Posts: 39 Member
    I always weigh a MINIMUM of 5 pounds more on a doctors scale in the afternoon than I do at home, first thing in the morning, naked, which is how I track my weight normally. You can easily fluctuate 5-10 pounds based on time of day, time of the month and individual circumstances. Please don't panic off of one scale reading. :)
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    And how exactly did you put on 6 lbs of muscle in a month??????
    WBB55 wrote: »

I gained 10 lbs in a month. For me it was about 6 lbs of muscle and 2 lbs of fat and 2 lbs of water. I was vegetarian and then added a couple servings of meat each day. Guess I was over maintenance, though... Are you lifting weights?

Try not to stress out this much. Track your calories, healthy food or no.

• JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    edited September 2015

Stop looking at the scale as a guide, look at your measurements, or start taking some. Pictures, un-flexed will help a ton. When you go to the Dr. most of the time you have clothes on, shoes on, something in your pocket. I weighed 8 more pounds at my Dr. Office... Make sure you're weighing yourself consistently, always at the same time, like when you first wake up, make sure that the scale has a good battery ( if it needs one), and not on a slanted floor. Other than that, keep track of your calories, weight measurements, workout routine and adjust accordingly, it's really all you can do, oh and be realistic... Good luck!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    you are probably eating more than you think you are. especially true if you are not weighing your food on a scale.