Why are rice cakes considered a "diet food"?

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    I used to eat rice cakes until I discovered that I get the same nutritional content and the same great taste from eating Styrofoam packing peanuts and the packing peanuts are free! :D
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    "Why are rice cakes considered a "diet food"?"

A more precise question is:"Why "were rice cakes considered a "diet food"?"

There answer is: They are low fat and were an "ideal" snack during the low fat diet/fad of the '80s-'90s.

Nowadays we have different fads to worry about and that's why rice cakes are not the rage anymore.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Because they're low calorie and have the taste and texture of sadness?

This is how I feel about rice cakes.
    I have never had a yummy rice cake.

• refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    corn cakes are more yummier, especially with pate
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    They taste like punishment, and that's how people think dieting should be.
    they are punishment, same as cottage cheese, and celery.
  • refuseresist
    I just had cottage cheese, celery and rice cakes for my afternoon snack
  • Therealobi1

oh no, why, why?
  • refuseresist

oh no, why, why?

because I love punishment :p
  • Therealobi1

oh no, why, why?

because I love punishment :p

lol, you really must do. ha
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Why are rice cakes considered a "food"?

FIFY.

I am curious about these non-cardboardy, yummy rice cakes. All the ones I've ever tried are tasteless packing material.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    andrikosDE wrote: »

There answer is: They are low fat and were an "ideal" snack during the low fat diet/fad of the '80s-'90s.

Nowadays we have different fads to worry about and that's why rice cakes are not the rage anymore.

This.

On the other hand, I love cottage cheese and celery. I used to eat lots of cottage cheese as a snack when I was getting fat. I tend to eat it with breakfast or dinner and in smaller quantities now.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Because of those features-- low calorie, lack in nutrition, yet taste good, I love them. I find that they're an excellent vessel to deliver yummy, nutrition filled things to my mouth. Cottage cheese, peanut butter, regular cheese, beans, anything! They add some texture and make you feel like you're eating something even more substantial.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2015
    seska422 wrote: »
    That idea is from the "low fat" era. Rice cakes have almost no fat.

This^

Back in the day low fat was the "key" to losing weight.

FIFY.

I am curious about these non-cardboardy, yummy rice cakes. All the ones I've ever tried are tasteless packing material.

Look for Quaker Popped - these are the smaller (much thinner) rice cakes. Sweet Chili flavor....mmmm. These are more like chips. I agree the thick round ones in the tube - blech! (it's like eating firmly packed sawdust).
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »
    seska422 wrote: »
    That idea is from the "low fat" era. Rice cakes have almost no fat.

This^

Back in the day low fat was the "key" to losing weight.

FIFY.

Look for Quaker Popped - these are the smaller (much thinner) rice cakes. Sweet Chili flavor....mmmm. These are more like chips. I agree the thick round ones in the tube - blech! (it's like eating firmly packed sawdust).

Ugh those quaker popped are so good. I love the cheddar cheese ones so much I can't buy them or I will probably eat them all within a matter of days. Sweet chili and the apple one is pretty good too.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Because they're low calorie and have the taste and texture of sadness?

This. Exactly this.
  • livj94
    livj94 Posts: 6 Member
    I'm on team rice cake.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    andrikosDE wrote: »

This.

On the other hand, I love cottage cheese and celery. I used to eat lots of cottage cheese as a snack when I was getting fat. I tend to eat it with breakfast or dinner and in smaller quantities now.

I also like cottage cheese and celery. Especially with peanut butter on the celery. But celery makes my tongue numb.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I like rice cakes. But I like about 7, which ends up being the same as a whole bag of popcorn...so I just have that instead.
  • tinger12
    tinger12 Posts: 62 Member
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the "rice cake cleanse" :wink:
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member

FIFY.

I have some another's brand caramel rice and corn cakes in my pantry right now. Like I said, they're pretty good with some almond butter on top or dipped in pumpkin greek yogurt. Lundburg makes an apple cinnamon flavor that's tasty, too.