Lots of advice needed

Hi this is my first post on here. My name is Michael, I am 23 years old, 6ft tall and weigh 420 lbs. I have used this app previously and failed but I am now on my 10th consecutive day of dieting and I am feeling a positivity and determination that I have not felt on previous attempts.

I feel I have the diet side of losing weight pretty much sussed out but I am clueless when it comes to the excercise part of it.

As you would expect of someone my size I am very unfit so please take that into account when suggesting workout routines.

I need someone who knows their stuff to advise me on how long and regular to excercise for. I own a bike and can ride it, I also have a dumbbell and barbell weight set so would also like some guidance on using them. I would be comfortable in joining my local gym so if you feel that is needed then that is not a problem.

Sorry for such a long and needy post but I hope someone can give me the guidance I need.

Thank you for reading and good luck in all your own journeys.

Replies

• socalgardengal
    socalgardengal Posts: 116 Member
    Good luck to you! I would suggest going for a walk, just down a block or 2 or more if you can. Then gradually add 1 more block, then another the time after. Just do what feels comfortable for you. Take a break for a day between if needed. You really don't have to exercise to lose weight, just eat at a calorie deficit. Baby steps ☺ You can do it! You can add me to your friends if you'd like.
  • The best advice I can give you (and this goes for any goal you want) is to be patient and consistent. As you stated in your post, this is your 10th consecutive day... So congrats on that!! Now set a goal to do 20 consecutive, and so on. Every milestone you set should make you that much more excited about accomplishing your goals.

As for actual exercises/routines, there are wayyyyyy too many out there to explain. You say you are clueless, so just keep it simple at first (develop coordination and a sense of how your body reacts to certain exercises/routines). Push yourself, and progressively do more sets/add more weight (or miles on your bike). Good luck, and kick some *kitten* in the gym!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Good luck to you! I would suggest going for a walk, just down a block or 2 or more if you can. Then gradually add 1 more block, then another the time after. Just do what feels comfortable for you. Take a break for a day between if needed. You really don't have to exercise to lose weight, just eat at a calorie deficit. Baby steps ☺ You can do it! You can add me to your friends if you'd like.

Baby steps for the win :)

For people who are totally out of shape I usually suggest something like walking 10-15 minutes 3x/wk. After a couple of weeks add either another walking session or 5 minutes to each walk. Keep adding in increments.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Find something you love to do for exercise and nick anything you can't see yourself committing to do on a daily basis. If you like riding your bike find a group or friends to bike with. If the gym ends up boring you and you don't see yourself committing to it, ditch it. Explore a little...try boxing, hiking, swimming, anything that sparks your interest. Exercise will always suck at first...always. It will get easier as you get more experience. Once you get comfortable with your routine, take it up a notch- you will have to in order to get stronger. Your success long term will depend if you stay active and find something that will keep you active.
  • CoffeeInTheMtns
    CoffeeInTheMtns Posts: 24 Member
    One thing I have heard larger beginners start with is simple house exercises like walking up and down your stairs a few extra times that day. Doing sit to stands from your couch or chair in repetition. Go from standing to an all fours position and then back up. Standing marching. Mini walking lunges. Anything you can think of hat basically just gets you moving, but also your body can tolerate. Biggest thing to watch for is ussuallu knee (or other joint) pain. Just keep within your tolerance and you will slowly start to see progress.

Good luck to you! Feel free to add me if you would like some extra support!
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Keep track! I never exercised consistently until I could see my improvement. It is so encouraging to keep getting better at whatever exercise you choose!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,327 Member
    Littl3wood wrote: »
    Hi this is my first post on here. My name is Michael, I am 23 years old, 6ft tall and weigh 420 lbs. I have used this app previously and failed but I am now on my 10th consecutive day of dieting and I am feeling a positivity and determination that I have not felt on previous attempts.

I feel I have the diet side of losing weight pretty much sussed out but I am clueless when it comes to the excercise part of it.

As you would expect of someone my size I am very unfit so please take that into account when suggesting workout routines.

I need someone who knows their stuff to advise me on how long and regular to excercise for. I own a bike and can ride it, I also have a dumbbell and barbell weight set so would also like some guidance on using them. I would be comfortable in joining my local gym so if you feel that is needed then that is not a problem.

Sorry for such a long and needy post but I hope someone can give me the guidance I need.

Thank you for reading and good luck in all your own journeys.

I am also struggling with getting myself moving and finding an exercise plan that I can do with a bad knee, so I don't have any advice for you, but I did want to congratulate you on your 10th consecutive day and to tell you good luck on your journey!
  • FleaBailey
    FleaBailey Posts: 18 Member
    A personal trainer has done great things for me, but that really does depend upon the trainer. I got a recommendation and signing up with him motivated me to regularly go to the gym. He was able to show me what machines and weights and cardio to do and at what levels. I am a 59 YO woman who started at 345 and am currently down to 234 after 20 months. (You are younger and male, you will lose weight faster.) I still go to my trainer and plan to do so indefinitely--I still have plenty of weight to lose.

A recumbent bicycle is very good for someone like me with a cranky knee. After I lost 20 pounds I moved to walking on a treadmill part of the time. After 50 pounds I moved to the elliptical and the rowing machine, but I still have to baby my knee (arthritic) so sometimes I go off the rowing machine for a while. Also, a heart rate monitor has been very helpful to me--I find that I am better at doing high intensity training and the "calories burned" calculations are pretty accurate for cardio work (I just turn it off when I'm doing weight work).

But all this is what works for me. I don't like to run and I do like working out in air conditioning, so that is why the gym with weight training has worked for me. Other people are successful with pure cardio work and/or working out at home. The main thing is to try some stuff and see what you actually enjoy, even if it's only mildly. Oh, and I do believe that doing weight training while losing is important, since I believe it helps you to lose less muscle while you are losing.
  • ladytwilight72
    ladytwilight72 Posts: 70 Member
    I started with a one mile walk away the pounds video and some days I could barely make it thru. But I kept at it and it got easier. Now I do at least a mile a day Monday thru Friday. Sometimes I do two. Mon Wed and Fridays I use my dumbbells. The way I see it is some effort is better than none. Good luck
  • gemmi33
    gemmi33 Posts: 67 Member
    Just wanted to say good luck to you Michael :-) you can do this and there's already some good advice here. Also there are loads of apps you can download on your phone with mini exercises that you can do at home, I love these. :)
  • Littl3wood
    Littl3wood Posts: 13 Member
    Hi thank you for all the replies. I have taken what you have all said into consideration and I am going to start going for short bike rides and walks. I am also going to start doing some basic weight lifting excercises.

I will be sure to keep my profile updated so feel free to add me if you want.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Littl3wood wrote: »
    Hi thank you for all the replies. I have taken what you have all said into consideration and I am going to start going for short bike rides and walks. I am also going to start doing some basic weight lifting excercises.

I will be sure to keep my profile updated so feel free to add me if you want.

Michael, if you can afford it, a couple of sessions with a personal trainer to get you started with your weights might be a good idea.
  • Good luck to you Michael! All I will say is break your final goal into lots of little milestones and focus on each of those in turn rather than worrying about the whole journey in a oner. You can do this!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2015
    At this stage, the act of simply moving around will burn lots of calories for you. Walking and bike riding are great activities, first because they are easy and second because they are low impact. With your extra weight, you'll want to avoid higher impact exercises for awhile as they will be particularly hard on your knees.

I highly, highly recommend weight lifting so I'm really glad to see that you're planning on it. When we lose weight, it's a combination of losing fat, muscle and water. By lifting weights in a progressively heavier lifting program, you'll retain more of the muscle you would have lost. So, not only will you lose more fat but your metabolism will stay a little higher. In addition, maintaining muscle you already have is much easier than building new muscle later. Your body has built up extra muscle over time to carry your excess weight. If you can keep more of that muscle while losing fat, you're going to look amazing when you get to your goal weight!
  • gemmi33
    gemmi33 Posts: 67 Member
    Hey, how are you getting on?
  • rnohou2010
    rnohou2010 Posts: 271 Member
    Start slowly and gradually, but whatever you do, try to do it daily. Even if it's a 15 minute walk. Consistency is the key. Good luck!