How Would You Log This?

Tonight I'm planning on making oven roasted cauliflower. I'm using a recipe that calls for putting a tablespoon of olive oil and some spices in a bowl, then tossing the cauliflower florets with the mixture before roasting. How would you log quantity of olive oil? I'm not consuming the whole tablespoon, but not sure how much of it am!

Replies

• herculean1982
    herculean1982 Posts: 29 Member
    Hmmm I always put the whole tablespoon in my calories to be safe. I'm always on the side of caution lol
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Weigh everything and then enter it as a recipe and pick the serving size by weight. A lot of people use grams, like 1 gram equals 1 serving, so it would be total grams for the entire recipe.

Or if you're lazy like me, just be conservative and weigh only the tablespoon of oil and then log it as 1/2 or 1/4 or whatever.
  • cortesd
    cortesd Posts: 58 Member
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Weigh everything and then enter it as a recipe and pick the serving size by weight. A lot of people use grams, like 1 gram equals 1 serving, so it would be total grams for the entire recipe.

Or if you're lazy like me, just be conservative and weigh only the tablespoon of oil and then log it as 1/2 or 1/4 or whatever.

I get how to I can weigh the cauliflower, but once the oil and spices are on it, how can I break it down to get the amount of oil?
  • cortesd
    cortesd Posts: 58 Member
    cortesd wrote: »

I get how to I can weigh the cauliflower, but once the oil and spices are on it, how can I break it down to get the amount of oil?

Nevermind! My bad! I just reread what you posted and it makes sense! :smiley:
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    If I understand the question correctly, you are trying to reflect the fact that there will be some oil still in the bowl after you toss the cauliflower. Ideally, you would only use an amount of oil that barely coats the cauliflower. There shouldn't be anything left in the bowl, nor should the cauliflower be dripping oil onto the baking sheet. But, lets say there is some oil left in the bowl. I suppose you could zero out the scale with the empty bowl (before you toss) and then weigh it again after using it to toss the ingredients. Assuming the only thing left in the bowl is oil and a negligible weight of spices, the weight on the scale is the remaining oil. Subtract that weight from the weight of one tablespoon of oil and you know how much oil you actually used (as a percent of one tablespoon). If you are making multiple servings, you now know how much oil made it into the recipe, so follow the MFP instructions on how to create and save a recipe.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    I log whatever oil I use. It's not as accurate as possible, but I don't care.

I suppose you could weigh the oil mixture, then after cooking, weigh paper towel before and after soaking up all the stuff left in the pan and back out that amount. I've thought about it, but it's more work than I want to do.

I rarely use the stated amount when using a roasting recipe. They invariably call for more than I need.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Just log the whole tablespoon - or use less if you're concerned about the calories.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    I usually just log the whole tablespoon. Since oils are high in calories, I'd rather overestimate than underestimate them.
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    I agree log the whole tablespoon... The rest is way too much work and borderline OCD for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Depends on how much of the cauliflower you're going to eat. I usually use one tablespoon for the whole dish, and log a teaspoon to be safe (considering that 4 of us eat the dish).
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited October 2015
    cortesd wrote: »

Weigh a bowl first...then pour the oil in the bowl and weigh that before adding with spices.....and then divide by however many portions you've made for..