Light headedness

Weird question. My husband is just over a month post-op, he's down a total of 57 pounds. He said he's noticed that he has started getting light headed when he stands up. BP is good. Protein intake is good. Just wondering if anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    I had this when I was losing quickly. I believe it is called Orthostatic hypotension (postural hypotension). I found it was tied to how much water I was drinking as well. I noticed it most at Church, when there is a lot of sitting and standing. About 10-15 seconds after standing, I would start to get light headed and it lasted for about 10-15 seconds. I would just make sure I had a hand on the seat in front of me in case I needed to stabilize myself.

Rob
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    yeah, I'm the same way, especially when I bounce up out of bed, or have to get up too quickly. I've read that it could be carb related, as in not enough.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Same here. When I bend and stand up quickly everything goes black. Thanks rpyle111 for the info. That all makes sense.
  • sunshine5474
    sunshine5474 Posts: 21 Member
    My blood sugars started to go low and I would get light headed and no I am not or ever was diabetic.
  • I have heard that after bypass your sugars can get low. My husband and i are preparing now for band to bypass, hes a diabetic and already has issues with low blood sugars so i must admit that worries me :'(
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 626 Member
    Orthostatic hypotension. You can check it easy enough. Take your blood pressure while sitting or lying down, then immediately on standing. If you are lightheaded and it drops, it's orthostatic hypotension.

It's pretty common in the first year after WLS. Get up slowly, drink more fluids, add extra salt or other electrolytes. It eventually goes away, but be careful in the meantime. I passed out a couple of times because of it.
  • jenean52
    jenean52 Posts: 80 Member
    Low hemoglobin can also cause lightheadedness.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    I had a full on blackout dizzy spell a few minutes ago. Squatted down to cuddle on the doge, and when I stood, my vision went black,, and I lost my balance. Thankfully, I was very close to the sink, and grabbed on. Be careful out there!
  • shale000
    shale000 Posts: 4 Member
    I've had the same, and grim_traveller is describing basically what my family doctor and cardiologist said. Both recommended having something salty when I have episodes (and said I would never hear them recommend salt again). I had success adding a bottle of Gatorade G2 to my diet each day to keep the electrolytes in check.
    Orthostatic hypotension. You can check it easy enough. Take your blood pressure while sitting or lying down, then immediately on standing. If you are lightheaded and it drops, it's orthostatic hypotension.

It's pretty common in the first year after WLS. Get up slowly, drink more fluids, add extra salt or other electrolytes. It eventually goes away, but be careful in the meantime. I passed out a couple of times because of it.

• nilklynn
    nilklynn Posts: 61 Member
    I had it bad too. I started eating a little bit more and it helped. I also started drinking a vitamin water zero every afternoon and they have pretty much gone away.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Wonderwomanvik Posts: 2,932 Member
    I've had lightheadedness since my surgery off and on. I know mine is caused by low blood sugar because of my extended stay at the hospital. It was happening daily for the first 4 weeks. I had to drink juice each time it happened. It usually happened at night and wasn't aggravated by standing or changing positions. Take care and talk to the surgeon or family doctor!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,672 Member
    edited October 2015
    For me water and Gatoraid helped. ...glug glug glug glug glug... Also cardiologist okayed salty foods after low blood pressure resulted after losing so much weight.
  • QuilterGirl3
    QuilterGirl3 Posts: 99 Member
    I almost fainted yesterday. Came on suddenly. This was the first time it happened post-surgery.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,672 Member
    Almost fainting happened a lot to me too. Turned out to be the low blood pressure thing. Drinking more helped (and salt) but I talked to my doctor about it first...