Tips to increase steps if you have a sedentary job

Hi all,

I have a desk job and I thought I'd share a few of my ways of clocking up a few hundred/thousand steps easily:-

When I'm brushing my teeth first and last thing I jog on the spot for the few mins I brush - its amazing how easy it is to add a few hundred steps like this :smiley:

When I'm doing the ironing, I'll iron an item and then go put it away, this requires more steps as I move back and forth between rooms :smile:

The same goes for any household chores, I find ways to move more than necessary.

While waiting on the kettle boiling for a cup of tea I'll run back and forth or on the spot :smile:

At work I sometimes do a 100 steps whilst I'm at the loo (I refer to this as loo-jogging :smiley:) - I use the loo quite a lot as I drink a lot of water. I'll do those 100 really quickly, gets my heart rate up and takes around 30 seconds.

So you can see how relatively easy it would be for anyone to add a few extra 1000+ steps to their day.

I obviously don't do these all the time, if I'm going to be having a proper walk etc its not necessary. Before work 3 days a week I run 3 - 5 miles and most days I do make time after work for a walk.

I do what it takes to make sure I average 15k steps a day.

My one constant habit is the moving while brushing my teeth thing (both hubby and I do this and sometimes together so our bathroom can feel crowded lol) - its a great way to start and end the day - while the teeth are getting looked after so is the body :smiley:

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Good ideas.

I also walk to the water fountain/printer that's further away, and will go and find other members of staff in their offices rather than phoning/emailing where possible.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    yesimpson wrote: »
    Good ideas.

I also walk to the water fountain/printer that's further away, and will go and find other members of staff in their offices rather than phoning/emailing where possible.

:smile: great stuff :smile:
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    There are a few people in my office that are up for walking while we meet.

I get up and walk a 5 minute lap around the office every hour unless in a long meeting.

I walk during my kids' dance practices since we aren't allowed to watch them anyway.

Parking farther away is obvious. Using the stairs for part or all of your elevator ride.

Don't try to carry as many shopping bags into the house at the same time as humanly possible. Make more trips.

Do more yard work.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    @ModernRock thanks for sharing :smiley:
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    I saw some interesting research too. It says that being a naturally fidgety person also help counteract being sedentary a bit. You know that toe tapping, switching positions, etc. That's me for sure.

I also do a few other things:

1- Walk to see someone instead of Email or IM
    2- Stand on the train
    3- Stand when we are out on weekends (that is the fidget in me too, hate sitting at dinner for 3 hours, I sit all week and now you want me to sit more, ick)
    4- Walk the long way around to get back to my desk after a meeting or a chat with someone

Your right its easy to add some extra steps. I don't know how many I do, but some days I do better than others.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Great thread! My job is very sedentary and I work from home.

I do things like squats while doing the dishes.

Sometimes I will do walking lunges going from the front of the house to the back.

When on the phone I usually pace or get on my mini-stepper.

I will gladly offer to go down/up stairs to get my get something. (He LOVES this one by the way. haha!)

I walk/ jog in place randomly.

Doing all of this helps to increase my TDEE, but I don't count any as my exercise steps or part of a workout. It's just a bonus. :) I do make time to get in a power walk for at least 3 miles each day.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,211 Member
    These are great ideas! For anyone who is interested, we are holding a "Sit Less Boot Camp" on MFP for the month of October. A month of sitting less and moving more in a supportive environment. Please join us! For details and how to join please see:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260460/please-join-us-for-octobers-sit-less-boot-camp-on-mfp
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    These are great ideas! For anyone who is interested, we are holding a "Sit Less Boot Camp" on MFP for the month of October. A month of sitting less and moving more in a supportive environment. Please join us! For details and how to join please see:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260460/please-join-us-for-octobers-sit-less-boot-camp-on-mfp

Thanks, I've joined the challenge :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    Great thread! My job is very sedentary and I work from home.

I do things like squats while doing the dishes.

Sometimes I will do walking lunges going from the front of the house to the back.

When on the phone I usually pace or get on my mini-stepper.

I will gladly offer to go down/up stairs to get my get something. (He LOVES this one by the way. haha!)

I walk/ jog in place randomly.

Doing all of this helps to increase my TDEE, but I don't count any as my exercise steps or part of a workout. It's just a bonus. :) I do make time to get in a power walk for at least 3 miles each day.

Loving your input, yes its all about increasing TDEE :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    fannyfrost wrote: »
    I saw some interesting research too. It says that being a naturally fidgety person also help counteract being sedentary a bit. You know that toe tapping, switching positions, etc. That's me for sure.

I also do a few other things:

1- Walk to see someone instead of Email or IM
    2- Stand on the train
    3- Stand when we are out on weekends (that is the fidget in me too, hate sitting at dinner for 3 hours, I sit all week and now you want me to sit more, ick)
    4- Walk the long way around to get back to my desk after a meeting or a chat with someone

Your right its easy to add some extra steps. I don't know how many I do, but some days I do better than others.

Thanks @fannyfrost great tips :smile:
    Oh I know I easily clock up an extra 4k just by implementing my strategies (best buy ever:- Fitbit!) :smile:
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Don't use drive ups, park your vehicle and walk into all these places that have them.

Hand deliver items instead of using interoffice mail if possible.

Get up every couple of hours, walk to the opposite side of building and back just to stretch your legs.

If you're stuck on your phone for example work in a call center, pace inside your cubicle between calls or if possible while on the call. Customer service comes first please. :wink:

Go to the lunch room and make a pot of coffee once a day whether it's for you or others, I promise you'll even make friends.

Place your trash/recycling can at work where you can't quite reach it and have to get up to toss something.
  • zkhanman
    zkhanman Posts: 132 Member
    If you have an office job, ask if it would be possible for you to get a standing desk, or perhaps an adjustable desk. With one of those you're on your feet all day which is burning more calories and is way better for your back. You can also then walk in place, do mini squats etc.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,715 Member
    My boss at my old job would have walking meetings: we had one-on-one check-in meetings with her once a week, and rather than sit in her office, we'd go walking during the meeting.