Question - have you had your cute dresses 'taken in' after losing weight?

2»

Replies

• SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    I'm currently from a size 22 to a size 14. I took my dresses into a tailor and he actually suggested I not bother. He said at this point he'd be cutting new dresses out of the fabric and the price was around what a new dress would cost. He suggested saving that for truely itreplacable dresses.

Mine got bagged up for goodwill. There was lots of nice stuff and I hope someone is enjoying them! I'm in goodwill myself till I bottom out ;)

Yep. At my highest I was a 16 and at my lowest I was a 0. I found that it was about 4 sizes before it's the same price as a new dress.

• hcs00
    hcs00 Posts: 40 Member
    I'm currently from a size 22 to a size 14. I took my dresses into a tailor and he actually suggested I not bother. He said at this point he'd be cutting new dresses out of the fabric and the price was around what a new dress would cost. He suggested saving that for truely itreplacable dresses.

Mine got bagged up for goodwill. There was lots of nice stuff and I hope someone is enjoying them! I'm in goodwill myself till I bottom out ;)

Yep. At my highest I was a 16 and at my lowest I was a 0. I found that it was about 4 sizes before it's the same price as a new dress.

If I can take them from an 18 down to a 14 or 12 I'll be happy enough. It will give me more quality time with the newer ones :)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    I gave all mine to charity. I had some really nice suits but never really thought about alterations as there was so much of the stuff. I had a good laugh with my daughter trying them all on, and then bagged them up
  • Amy3935
    Amy3935 Posts: 94 Member
    I'm down from an 18+ to a 12/14 - when I was around a 14/16 I had a few dresses taken in and it wasn't cheap - but I had events to wear them to and was a little fearful of buying new things. Those dresses that I paid a lot to take in are now too big again and the money was basically a waste - I got one or two wears out of them.

If you do it when you're at a "goal" weight and really think you'll stay there it might be more worth the cost, but if it's too much of a change it will be even more expensive - and the fiddlier and more "unique" the dress the more it will cost. There are always cheaper places but it doesn't sound like you'd want to trust your beloved dresses to them. I borrowed a friend's sewing machine and did a few shirts and simple things myself, but you need much better skills to do dresses.

About a month ago I donated a large majority of my "fat" clothes and I've bought a modest amount new. If I ever manage to get back on the losing wagon I'll have to reassess what those new clothes will be like then.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    I'm pretty handy with a sewing machine, and have made things from patterns also. But even then, taking things in was a gamble, with only minimally good results. In my case, it was take in some things, or go naked, I literally had no money.

It forced me to look at my wardrobe and build a much smaller (size and quantity) that I am much happier with, and I no longer own things I "love" but don't ever wear.
  • littlebagofbones
    littlebagofbones Posts: 7 Member
    There are a few ModCloth BST groups on FaceBook. Have you thought about seeing what you could get in trade?
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    I feel your pain. I am like you with the dresses and have some beauties and it breaks my heart to think they may get too, too big! I like brands like Hell Bunny and Collectif and once a season is gone that is that for certain styles and fabric patterns. It is definitely worth keeping an eye on eBay but be prepared to pay near to the original price for some sort after old styles! I have a few dresses I want to replace in a smaller size and I think I will start keeping an eye out now.
  • kfdcem
    kfdcem Posts: 17 Member
    I'm *very* handy with a sewing machine and always take loose clothes in, but between my original size 24 and my current 14 I have exactly zero of my favourite dresses left. I can generally get an extra two sizes out of something with alterations, but after that... Nope. Just starts to get weird and does the dress and my body a disservice. My wardrobe is a lot smaller in a lot of ways, and, while I miss having all my pretty things to choose from, I'm getting enjoyment out of creating seasonal and size specific capsule wardrobes each season.
    I understand how sad it is to give things up though. I've had to pass on all the beautiful sweaters I knit for myself :(
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!