Protein fluff where have you been all my life?

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Whoa, I just made a batch with 140g frozen strawberries, 1 scoop vanilla ON casein, 1 cup milk, and 1/8tsp xanthan gum. That stuff is awesome. But way too filling. I just threw what I couldn't eat into half pint jars in the freezer. I figure the xanthan gum will stabilize it.
  • cmtigger
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Whoa, I just made a batch with 140g frozen strawberries, 1 scoop vanilla ON casein, 1 cup milk, and 1/8tsp xanthan gum. That stuff is awesome. But way too filling. I just threw what I couldn't eat into half pint jars in the freezer. I figure the xanthan gum will stabilize it.

Haha. Cutting food. I can eat it all up! I heard it doesn't freeze well and deflates. Lets us know!
  • arditarose
    @cmtigger looks good! You got a good fluff going. Congrats.
  • cmtigger
    arditarose wrote: »

Haha. Cutting food. I can eat it all up! I heard it doesn't freeze well and deflates. Lets us know!
    Worst that happens is I have a frozen milkshake.
  • cmtigger

I heart my vitamix and kitchen aid.
  • arditarose

lol. I have to make mine poverty style with a broken hand mixer. I might get a cheap stand mixer because it really is kind of a pain to stand there for 10-15 minutes. But then again, I probably won't eat this very often in maintenance or a bulk.
  • cmtigger

lol. I have to make mine poverty style with a broken hand mixer. I might get a cheap stand mixer because it really is kind of a pain to stand there for 10-15 minutes. But then again, I probably won't eat this very often in maintenance or a bulk.
    The vitamix was a splurge after lusting over them for years, but my grandma got me the kitchen aid for our last birthday before she died. So it's a basic one, but very useful and sentimental.
  • kwownow
    kwownow Posts: 43 Member
    Tried this first time last night and really loved it. Next time-- use a bigger bowl-- it was flying over the top! I used 1/4 cup 30 cal almond milk, half frozen banana, 1/4 cup chocolate protein and 1/2 tsp gum stuff. Oh and a little PB2!
  • arditarose
    kwownow wrote: »
    Tried this first time last night and really loved it. Next time-- use a bigger bowl-- it was flying over the top! I used 1/4 cup 30 cal almond milk, half frozen banana, 1/4 cup chocolate protein and 1/2 tsp gum stuff. Oh and a little PB2!

Did your PB2 come through? I have a hard time getting the peanut butter taste to come out and then it's just a waste of calories.
  • kwownow
    kwownow Posts: 43 Member
    Agree PB2 flavor not intense and waste of calories! Maybe with vanilla protein would have had more PB taste.
  • cmtigger
    Update on the frozen fluff. While it was frozen it still stayed fluffed, and because it was fluffed it was edible. When thawed it went back to pudding like. I could have probably re whipped it but I just drank it like a thick shake.
  • mikeski52
    mikeski52 Posts: 59 Member
    I just got some xanthan gum, but misread the recipe I was using and put in 5g instead of 1/2 g.... it didn't end well. :/
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    edited October 2015
    These sound delicious
  • ajm_uwe
    ajm_uwe Posts: 17 Member
    Making fluff now! 115g of frozen fruit, 19g of chocolate whey and 55g of hazelnut milk. Trying to resist adding cereal on top :-p
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    edited October 2015
    I just made my first successful protein fluff yesterday (I've tried several times). One recipe I tried had too much milk (a cup), so it came out like a thick milkshake. Another had too much PB powder (2 T), so it came out like gritty pudding. But this one worked perfectly! I really like that it wasn't super sweet (most desserts are just too sweet for me):

40 g casein powder (2 scoops from my giant tub)
    100 mL milk
    200 g frozen strawberries
    .25 tsp xanthan gum

1) Nuke the strawberries for 1 min, mash with a fork
    2) Add the milk
    3) Blend with a hand blender for a minute
    4) Add the casein, blend for a minute
    5) Add the xanthan, blend for another ~3 minutes

By this time, it was so thick I really couldn't blend it anymore. By comparison, with the other recipes I had tried I was blending for 10 minutes and it never really got thick.

Another tip: keep a pair of earplugs in the kitchen!
  • arditarose
    mikeski52 wrote: »
    I just got some xanthan gum, but misread the recipe I was using and put in 5g instead of 1/2 g.... it didn't end well. :/
    What recipe? I use 6 gram and it comes out well.
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    mikeski52 wrote: »
    What recipe? I use 6 gram and it comes out well.
    Does more gum make it fluffier? I've been adding 1/4 tsp but not sure if I should add more.

• betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Question, do you need to add frozen fruit? can you just do the protein, xanthan gum and almond, or cashew milk? Is the frozen fruit necessary for the fluffing?
  • arditarose
    betuel75 wrote: »
    Question, do you need to add frozen fruit? can you just do the protein, xanthan gum and almond, or cashew milk? Is the frozen fruit necessary for the fluffing?

No. I just started adding fruit. I don't like wasting my calories on fruit...BUT, I am finding the fruit makes it a little thicker and chills it a bit. Not necessary though.