Planet Fitness

2»

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    ...In any case. yeah, if you grunt or make noise or drop your weights, or let go of the machine you are using so the thing makes a lot of noise, or anything that overly draws attention to yourself, you get this "lunk alarm". Supposedly they didn't allow tank tops in either. There are signs all over the place to tell you what not to do, but then you also see all these "Judgement Free Zone" signs which is an oxymoron in my opinion. They don't want intimidation, but if you are a serious body builder, it can be intimidating...
    That's what keeps me from even considering Planet Fitness. For being a "Judgment Free Zone", they sure are awful judgmental about how people choose to get in shape. Hypocrites.
  • KatD1226
    KatD1226 Posts: 12 Member
    No tank tops? Really??
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    edited October 2015
    KatD1226 wrote: »
    No tank tops? Really??

Their shaming of "the fitness culture" knows no bounds. Tank tops make some people feel bad and PF wants everyone to feel good, or safe, or something.... Depends on which flashing ad on their corporate website you read. They basically wrote off the normal gym crowd between paternalistic rules, limited free weights, and not offering classes. But that is also how they keep their overhead down and it seems to be a winning business model for the franchise.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    The hypocrisy is annoying (how does one establish a judgement free zone by judging others?), and the Smith machines suck, but it's not bad for the price. The leg press also has a distressingly low limit, but whatever.

How is free pizza night hypocritical though? I went tonight, did my cardio, and grabbed a slice on the way out. It's a nice perk. Nothing hypocritical about giving away pizza. I mean, what about free bagel day? Those bagels have as many calories as pizza. Maybe more.

The tank top thing is stupid. I've seen women walking around in sports bras not get called out, but a man with a tank top is forced to change. Makes no sensse.
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    All the PFs in my area are 24/7. It could be due to the franchise owner and how each decides to operate. I think it would be good to see what gyms are in the area and look to see what kind of amenities they offer. PF should be fine for basic amenities, and there is an option where you can sign up for a month and then choose to renew each month afterward instead of signing up for a whole year.
  • TBeverly49
    TBeverly49 Posts: 322 Member
    Wow You talked me out of it! Thank goodness there is none in our town.m :o
  • tkfunkyfrogg
    tkfunkyfrogg Posts: 58 Member
    I just joined one and gone a couple times. I wear shorts and tank tops and have yet to get grief. I haven't done my 5x5 yet so not sure what I'm in for. You get what you get for $10/month. The employees at my PF seem pretty chill. The concept behind the gym is ridiculous but I cannot afford more right now and definitely not lifting 60 pound dumbbells so don't need anything more.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Not bad for the price.
  • tkfunkyfrogg
    tkfunkyfrogg Posts: 58 Member
    PF works for my needs with treadmills, rowers, and stair climbers. I dig the free weights as well. The class people mentioned is to show you how to use the machines, which is helpful so you don't go in feeling lost. I've seen women at my PF wearing shorts and sports bras and men with tank tops. No one sets off an alarm on these folks. If you don't need to lift more than 60#, a PF is cheap, clean, and offers the basic essentials. Mine is open 24/7 (as a lot are I notice at the website).

I don't appreciate the pizza and bagels etc that they put out for folks. I'm there to sweat and stay away from that stuff. So far that is my biggest complaint. I'm sure once I move to my 5x5 and hear the lunk alarm go off I will be back here to revise my post ;)
  • kerbeya1
    kerbeya1 Posts: 53 Member
    I'm currently just walking and doing a little jogging, but I'm interested in expanding into some upper body work outs.

Does anyone has Planet Fitness? Do you like it? What kind of machines do then have?

I don't know if it's been said but planet fitness is a joke. Any gym that offers members pizza and has a hulk alarm is a gym to stay away from imo
  • daymommy
    daymommy Posts: 2 Member
    I met with a planet fitness trainer today. So glad I did. Feel like I have a plan now and will help me lose more after bariatric surgery.
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    kerbeya1 wrote: »
    I'm currently just walking and doing a little jogging, but I'm interested in expanding into some upper body work outs.

Does anyone has Planet Fitness? Do you like it? What kind of machines do then have?

I don't know if it's been said but planet fitness is a joke. Any gym that offers members pizza and has a hulk alarm is a gym to stay away from imo

Although I think the pizza and tootsie rolls are rediculous, PF is a good fit for some people. It may not be for everyone, but people who are intimidated by the gym or new to exercise, may see it as a good fit. I went to PF a few years back and it serves my needs at that time. I eventually had to move on to a gym that offered more, but I won't bash people who go to it. Like I said, it works for some people.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    It must depend on the owner on what is allowed. We belong to one. Many folks where tank tops and you hear weights drop often and the alarm never goes off.

You can sign up with their PT to learn how to use the weights, both machine and free weights and get a routine/plan written up.