need to lose 100 lbs 7 months

shellinut
shellinut Posts: 33 Member
edited October 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I need to lose 100 lbs by the end of April so my dr can do a robotic assisted laparoscopic hysterectomy. She said she can do it now but at my weight the risk of pneumonia is higher as the table is tilted and excess weight puts pressure on the lungs during surgery. The reason for the time frame is I have reached my out of pocket max on my insurance and so if I have the surgery before the end of June, I won't have to pay anything for it. So she gave me until My appointment in May to lose the weight. So far I have lost 6.1 lbs in the 5 days since I have been trying. My primary dr has put me on topamax and phentermine to help me lose weight. I also have MS and that makes it harder for me to exercise. I have been swimming 3-5 times a week before work as my form of exercise until recently (until my surgery last week) and will resume next week when I am cleared to swim again. For now, I have reduced my calorie intake to 1600 calories a day and will increase that when I begin swimming again.

Looking for friends on here for support as I have a total of 200 lbs to lose in the long run. I am currently at 353.2.

Replies

• suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    edited October 2015
    Hi, I'd love to be your MFP friend and will try to give you as much support as I possibly can because my love, you deserve it :)

Edit: I mean general support, not just mine lol
  • shellinut
    Awww thanks! I want to lose weight for myself, my health, my wife and this is just a bonus motivation for me. Its just hard to think about that much weight in so little time. I have lost that much in that amount of time before so I know I can do it and as much as I weigh I know it can be done. Both my drs believe I can do it. They have tested my resting metabolism and it is high (I can't blame my weight on my metabolism, lol).
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    shellinut wrote: »
    I need to lose 100 lbs by the end of April so my dr can do a robotic assisted laparoscopic hysterectomy. She said she can do it now but at my weight the risk of pneumonia is higher as the table is tilted and excess weight puts pressure on the lungs during surgery. The reason for the time frame is I have reached my out of pocket max on my insurance and so if I have the surgery before the end of June, I won't have to pay anything for it.So she gave me until My appointment in May to lose the weight. So far I have lost 6.1 lbs in the 5 days since I have been trying. My primary dr has put me on topamax and phentermine to help me lose weight. I also have MS and that makes it harder for me to exercise. I have been swimming 3-5 times a week before work as my form of exercise until recently (until my surgery last week) and will resume next week when I am cleared to swim again. For now, I have reduced my calorie intake to 1600 calories a day and will increase that when I begin swimming again.

Looking for friends on here for support as I have a total of 200 lbs to lose in the long run. I am currently at 353.2.

If I were you, I would post pone it and take time to lose weight safely instead of putting your self at risk/injury from losing so quickly.

Medication decisions should come from you and your dr and no one should try to interfere, but I personally would stay away from both drugs. The side effects are just not worth it IMO. I took topamax a few years back for mood stabilization and it was honestly the worst medication I ever tried. I had severe memory issues, and felt really stupid (it's nick named "dopamax" for a reason) on it. Phentermine can also be dangerous as it is basically prescription speed. It can cause serious heart issues (speed up heart rate to a dangerous level/cause a dangerous cardiac rhythm). I would try accurate logging (weighing Food) before jumping to medication.

While you are heavier (not trying to be rude) and you may safely lose a lot in the beginning, a goal of 3.5 lbs a week is not a good idea.
  • BrickFox
    BrickFox Posts: 61 Member
    Just thought I would link you this video for inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8svuSIYQu74
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Your doctors know you can do it, you know you can do it and just by reading your post I know you can do it :) I have some great friends on here who are very supportive and definitely keep me motivated. It's the small things, like saying well done when I've managed a bit of exercise [I have a damaged back] and cheering me on when I've lost a bit of weight. If I want to talk to someone privately I can message them, its great!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    @shellinut - what's the reason behind the hysterectomy? I ask because this is a procedure that is often done despite not being medically necessary and one that my own GYN has offered me to deal with a large fibroid. My primary says my GYN, being a surgeon, is often overly quick to recommend surgery, and is sending me for a second opinion to the new GYN, who is younger and less likely to recommend hysterectomies.

Do You Really Need a Hysterectomy?

One in 3 American women will have her uterus removed by the time she turns 60. Hysterectomies have declined over the past decade—430,000 procedures were performed in the U.S. in 2010, compared with 680,000 in 2002—but some medical experts warn that the number is still unnecessarily high. In a new study published in the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, researchers at the University of Michigan and Wayne State University examined the medical histories of more than 3,400 women who received hysterectomies at 52 hospitals across Michigan in 2013 and found that nearly 1 in 5 of them may not have been necessary.

In some cases—like uterine cancer—a hysterectomy is the standard procedure. But for benign conditions—like abnormal uterine bleeding or endometriosis—the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommends the consideration of alternative treatments, such as hormonal therapy, an IUD, or less invasive surgeries. The study found that in nearly 38 percent of those cases, alternative treatments weren’t attempted before the hysterectomies. And in 18 percent of cases, pathology reports indicated that the hysterectomies weren’t medically supported. The researchers concluded that many of those women were likely suffering from abnormal uterine bleeding, for which the ACOG does not recommend surgery.

Read more: http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2015/01/08/unnecessary_hysterectomies_alternative_treatments_are_recommended_for_fibroids.html
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    If you need the hysterectomy, then I would definitely do everything I could to have it as soon as possible, even if that meant rapid weight loss.

If you're electing to do it in June for financial purposes, I would not recommend crash dieting to achieve an elective surgery. Dieting is hard on your heart on it's own without the added surgery at the end. Surgery right after stressing your heart from 100 lbs of weight loss also doesn't sound like a risk-free proposition to me.

Both of these options have risks and benefits. I lost 100 lbs in about 2 years, and 8 years later I'm still working to overcome some of the damage I did. Just consider the risks of rapid weight loss vs. the benefit of the surgery on the timeline you discussed.
  • eDonatti
    eDonatti Posts: 49 Member
    Good luck!!

Since only you and your doctors know the real situation and you agreed the dates and you've planned weight goal because you need surgery then go for it. Clearly since they wanted to do the surgery now but can't because of your weight it seems to me it's important enough to speed up the weight loss - the money is an issue for many of us so i understand the pressure with the insurance company too.

Anyway :) write, ask, brag, ask more questions and do whatever is necessary to achieve your goals! It looks like you have a plan, make sure you contact your doc if anything worries you and just do it :) you can slow down with the weight loss after you recover.

Sorry if my grammar is not the best by the way - English is not mine first language and I tend to write waaaay too long sentences.
  • shellinut
    I need the hysterectomy. My only other option is to do a traditional abdominal hysterectomy where I will have a 6-8 week rough recovery. So yes, its financial (but i would have the abdominal one before my insurance resets on July 1 anyway) but mostly health wise. I need to lose weight anyways and this laparoscopic surgery is safer and easier recovery.
  • sapphire1166
    sapphire1166 Posts: 114 Member
    edited October 2015
    As someone whose life was derailed by medical bills in my 20's (with insurance!), I can't blame you for trying to get the procedure in ASAP when you've hit your max deductible. 1600 calories a day can be doable if it's done right. I have less to lose and I'm on 1400 calories a day no problem and losing steadily. Good luck with your goal!
  • shellinut
    Thanks sapphire!!!!!! I honestly don't think 1600 calories a day is a crash diet (not sure why some people think it is) at my weight and I have been losing at this level. When I can resume exercising next week I will increase my caloric intake to make up for the exercising.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    100 pounds in 7 months doesn't sound very likely to me. I wish you luck, but I'd discuss options with the surgeon, just in case. Maybe they can do it some other way while you have coverage.

But it's taking me years to lose 100 pounds, so I'm a little biased.

Good luck!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Thats a 4# a week weight loss. At your current size, its possible but it will require alot of determination and focus. If I were in your shoes - I would do everything in my power to have the laproscopic surgery vs the traditional so I understand the desire to lose the weight so quickly!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    That's a pretty aggressive goal. Why initially, you'll lose quickly, I wouldn't expect to keep up that pace. Good luck!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Since you're under medical supervision and following the advice of a doctor, I'm not going to try to argue with it 'cause who am I to know better than the healthcare professionals? It is a really aggressive goal, mind you. Have you discussed with your surgeon whether they can still go ahead if you lose weight, but not all the weight? For instance, if you're at 50 or 60 pounds lost after 7 months can they still proceed?

Also, if you have to delay it and have it later, how much would the out of pocket portion cost? You might want to start setting aside a bit of money per week as a plan B, so you can still have the laparoscopic even if you have to delay it 'til next year.

I'll just say there's a lot of motivation on here. Sign up for some groups, stay active on the website, stay focused on your goal. Wishing you much luck!

(And maybe sooner or later the US will figure out that healthcare shouldn't be only for the privileged, and will institute a decent public universal healthcare program like all other sane countries in the world, instead of leaving you at the financial mercy of private insurance companies. But that's a whole different discussion.)
  • shellinut
    I am hoping to lose the 100 lbs and then cut back to 1-2 lbs a week after that. I am hoping that if my dr sees that I am making the effort she will do the surgery if I even come close. She said the anesthesiologist wants patients to be under 300 but ideally at 250. I only need to lose 53 lbs to be at 300 so I am hoping I come close enough :-)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    I am hoping to lose the 100 lbs and then cut back to 1-2 lbs a week after that. I am hoping that if my dr sees that I am making the effort she will do the surgery if I even come close. She said the anesthesiologist wants patients to be under 300 but ideally at 250. I only need to lose 53 lbs to be at 300 so I am hoping I come close enough :-)

Okay, wow, well it seems like you have a few options then. Given how much you have to lose, 53 pounds in 7 months should be very doable, and you might get close to your 100 if you're really focused. Wishing you all the best of luck with it!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Not possible if you are going to do it in a healthy way.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Yeah, I was wondering if/hoping it was something like this.

I think just keep a positive frame of mind and get started and focus on doing what you can do. Maybe start by setting some process goals. Are you working with a dietician?

I'd be happy to support you.
  • shellinut
    Thanks, I can use all the support. I am working with just a physician assistant at my drs office who I will see monthly for monthly check-ups, medication check-ups and questions on any foods (her and I discussed what I should be eating at our last appointment 2 weeks ago).