ETL GBOMBS October

tdh1991
tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
We missed starting the new thread yesterday. Everyone must be re ally busy right now. It completely slipped my mind yesterday.

Title is a little reminder for all of us to eat those foods everyday.

I have been really strict and I am down to my body's set point weight. Last time I was down here it liked being at this weight unless I was really strict and exercising a lot. Will see this time.

Need to make some fall food this weekend. If anyone has a great fall recipe they would like share I would appreciate it.

Mahini hope everything is ok with you.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    GBOMBS are the bomb!
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    I'll be pouring through my recipes this week, now that it's cooling off and I can start using the oven again. I'll post something soon. October will be the month I start seeing the scale come down. My two goals this month: (1) work some regular exercise into my routine; and (2) the very simple, but not easy, task of continuing to eat ONLY when hungry and not for any other reason.
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,891 Member
    Hi all, yikes I am so far behind. I went back and read the posts I missed in September. I am going back on the 6 week plan, figure through Thanksgiving and need to get down some more pounds before that arrives. I do have one thing coming up that will be out for drinks and dinner, but I will have a glass or two of wine and eat something reasonably ETL that one evening. Anyway, I'm still down 6 from where I was a couple months ago and have a ways to go to get back down to my previous low.

Terri, thanks for starting the thread and that's a great title! I can always use that reminder. I can't believe I actually forgot it was a new month.

Hi Sabine!

Lisa, great goals. I eat a lot of soups, especially in winter, always have a bunch in the freezer.

Tonight I'm making the OSG black bean and butternut squash burritos. Not really ETL but they are one of my all time favorite foods and I want to have them before I start the 6 week plan. I'll eat some of the leftovers tomorrow and then start the 6 week plan on Monday.

Work is still really crazy. I've been staying late just about every evening, and still working most weekends as I have been most of this year it seems, although I ended up taking today off. I got up early but decided to go back to bed for just a little while, which ended up being 4 hours lol. Oops. Oh well, maybe it will help. I was a lot more energetic this past week and I wondered if it had something to do with taking last Saturday off.

My other big goal is to get back to regular exercise. I've really been bad about that and it helps so much. Not just with firming up but with my energy and mood. I think I'm going to try to do the 30 day shred DVD again. It really gets me feeling stronger and leaner fast.

• tdh1991
    Hi All,

Doing some cooking today. Making a few soups.
    Yam and split pea soup
    mushroom barley soup
    black bean and red lentil chilli

tonight for dinner I am making Spicy thai braised kale and cauliflower

Tomorrow is my appointment with the RA doctor sure hoping she takes me off the steroids. Looking on the bright side I am down 10 lbs this past month.

Everyone have a fun Sunday.

• lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    I made comfort food: a humble lentil soup with zucchini, low-sodium vegetable stock, shredded carrots. Weather has been turning cooler and I do love lentil soup. I know Dr. F says to not worry about calories, but I can eat two large bowls of lentils and that's a lot of calories. Which is what I did today, of course. No exercise. :-(
  • liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Happy October, everyone. It seemed to sneak up on everyone I guess.

Lisa, soup sounds perfect right now. It's suddenly soup season!! I don't blame you, lentil soup is comforting. If it's any consolation, think about what you would have eaten a few years ago! For me, it wouldn't have been as healthy as two servings of lentil soup lol.

Terri, you are on a roll!! Woohoo, awesome re the weight loss and the cooking stock pile!

Mihani, happy to have you back! Hope you're feeling okay. How goes DAy 1 of the plan?

I'm still trucking with the meal plans. I got away from them too much this weekend. I was at my parents' house for my Dad's bday and their house often equals comfort, which is usually in the form of bread products. But yesterday, we put in 4 hours of meal prep and I'm set for the week! I know in two months, this weather will feel balmy, but it was such a shock to change from summer to damp fall, that my body is so shivery! Yay for teas and soups :)
  • Phoenix4me18
    Phoenix4me18 Posts: 133 Member
    Hi all, just swinging through. Was a busy weekend. Yesterday we got new family photos done. First ones in 10 years. Decided it was finally time! lol The weather was cooperative - we had a crappy, cold, rainy Saturday which turned into a great sunny, warmer Sunday which was perfect for outdoor photos. The photographer was great and kept them casual, laid back and fun. I am looking forward to seeing them. I had set up a session for my parents as well, so, we were all out there together and even got some with my mom and dad. The rest of the weekend was spent running around doing errands or running to soccer games. Lots of time away from home, which, while it was fun, always makes me feel like I didn't have a weekend. I am a real homebody and use that time to recharge. I tried to just soak it all up though because classes start in a week and I know I won't be as "free" for the next 6 weeks. It is refreshing to think of it as only a 6 week window. Having a light at the end of the tunnel will hopefully keep me out of the "I am trapped - this is never going to end - completely overwhelmed" mentality.

My food has been ok for the most part. Still not completely 100% ETL, but, definitely continuing to move in that direction. I find I am making better choices every day, so, that is progress I will take!

Last week I had my longest jogging session - 25 minutes on the treadmill. I am still trying to take it easy as I find too much too fast causes my knee to act up. I plan to continue tricking it into this and eventually get back to the running I so enjoyed in previous years.

Best NSV of the week last week? Wearing pants that were once too small to the office and getting a compliment from my DD on how great I am looking. Seriously. It was fabulous.

Gotta get back to work! Will catch up on personals soon!
  • tdh1991
    glad to see everyone checking in and dong so well. Looks like everyone had a fun weekend.

Well I am not sure what to do. The doctor recommended to wean myself off the steroid but to start
    Leflunomide (Arava). Lots of side effects and would not my blood check every 2 to 3 months :(.

I know RA is tricky but my blood work was perfect. -RA factor, C-reactive protein less then 3 (thank you Dr. F),
    -ANA, normal igg antibody count, Rheumatoid Factor of 5 so all very normal. The xray did show some damage to my hands.

So, what to do. 1. do I try to knock it out and be completely strict for 6 months, then if still pain start treatment. or 2. do I follow the advice of my doctor.

Went out to dinner with a friend last night and had a great time. Few too many drinks but it was fun to blow off the stress of the day. Weigh was up a little bit probably from the salt. I had a garden salad and the vegetable Risoto.

gotta run to work

everyone have a great day
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,891 Member
    Hi y'all! Work is still killing me. I'm just at my wit's end. But eating right and exercise makes it easier to cope with the chaos that is my life.

Terri, I am not sure what I would do in your shoes. I certainly believe, and hope, that nutritional excellence can help us with most things, but I also believe medical intervention is necessary at times. What about a compromise of a couple months strict and then see where you are? Is your doctor open to alternative approaches? Drugs always scare me, but sometimes they are necessary. But the side effects are definitely a factor when considering those. I tend to have faith in my doctor, but he's great and I've known him a long time. I can talk to him. Even though he still rolls his eyes that I'm vegan lol.

Lia, glad you are working the meal plans. I was a big fan of HH when I first started going vegetarian to vegan a few years ago, but like you I found a lot of the recipes to be hit or miss. Some I loved, but a lot were kind of meh. I have 3 of her cookbooks, but I don't use them often. I seem to go to Isa, OSG, Nava, and Dreena the most when it comes to my cookbooks. I've had to experiment, but have found a lot that can be made without oil and are still really tasty.

Lisa, lentil soup is soooo good and definitely comfort food. I have really had to retrain my brain that overeating a bit on good healthy food is a totally different thing than overeating junky food. I think when I eat totally "real" food, I am more full and satisfied, I don't crave snacks, etc. Like Lia said, 2 bowls of lentil soup is good for you food! Way better than diving into a bag of chips or something like that. Your body is appreciating that lentil soup.

Laura, the photo shoot sounds like fun! I hope you got some time to rest up and regroup. I crave my home/alone time too. Awesome building up on your running!

I am still getting into the pretzels at work, but I'm putting a ban on pretzels starting tomorrow. They aren't even that good! I just need to stay out of the snack cabinet and eat my fruit and salad. It's plenty enough, there's no real reason for the snacking. Ugh!
  • tdh1991
    HI All,

Still going strog with ETL. Taking a break from logging. So time consuming when you eat a lot of vegetables.

I made a ETL treat last weekend Bean chocolate chip cookies. They were ok hot but really good cold.

Printer friendly version
    Average Rating: ★★★★★
    Rated By: 2 members
    Rate It:
    (click a star to rate this recipe)
    Nutritarian Chocolate Chip Cookies
    Deana Ferreri

Serves: 10

Ingredients:
    1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas or 1 (15 ounce) can low sodium or no salt added chickpeas, drained
    1/2 cup raw almonds
    3/4 cup dates
    1 apple, cored (used a banana instead)
    1 teaspoon alcohol-free vanilla flavor
    1/4 cup water
    2/3 cup old fashioned rolled oats (added extra)
    2/3 cup 100% cacao chocolate chips

Instructions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Blend chickpeas, almonds, dates, apple, vanilla and water in a high-powered blender until smooth.

Place in a bowl and mix in oats and chocolate chips.

Drop on a lightly-oiled or parchment-lined baking sheet in 2 tablespoon scoopfuls. Flatten a little with a fork.
    Bake for 10 minutes.

Makes 20 cookies
    Per Serving:
    CALORIES 211; PROTEIN 6g; CARBOHYDRATES 28g; TOTAL FAT 9.5g; SATURATED FAT 3.2g; CHOLESTEROL 0.3mg; SODIUM 5mg; FIBER 5.8g; BETA-CAROTENE 12ug; VITAMIN C 1mg; CALCIUM 45mg; IRON 3.8mg; FOLATE 49ug; MAGNESIUM 63mg; ZINC 1mg; SELENIUM 2.2ug

I need to take a trek to whole foods to stock up on supplies I cannot find in the grocery store .

My children are coming home this weekend. My daughters 21 bday celebration this weekend. Where does the time go.

Mahini; good thing you like you job way too much working for me.

Where is everyone this week. Very quiet. Everyone must be really busy.

• liapr
    Mmmm thanks for the recipe, Terri! Wow, happy 21st to your daughter. How many children in total do you have? I like the beans in sweets recipes. Dr. Fuhrman's daughter has one that it pb brownies, and there are black beans and white beans in them! I'd like to try it sometime.

Great job with the long job, Laura, that's awesome. How were the knees the day after? My ankle is feeling a lot better, still stiff, but I think I'm going to start back on my T25 videos again.

Mihani, any chats with your boss about alleviating the work load? This sounds awful. How has it been with ETL this week?

I'm off work early today to head to the Blue Jays baseball game! First playoff since the 90s, sad but exciting!!

I've been up and down like crazy lately. I haven't weighed myself in a few weeks because I'm so overly emotional about the whole thing that my main goal is just calming down. Eating what my body wants and not what my brain wants. Or trying to anyway haha.
  • tdh1991
    Goodmorning all,

Lia: Glad too hear your ankle is feeling better. NO fun to be injured. I have two children a son 22 and my daughter as you know is turning 21 next week. They are getting so old. Where does the time go.

Went on a shopping spree yesteday. So, nice to be able to put on clothes and everything fits right. When I was heavier nothing ever fit--loose there tight here etc.

My goal is to get more blended salads in my day, but I am having a hard time with that. Don't really like them so much. I will need to find a few recipes that I like that are very low sugar.

I am thinking about taking Dr. Fuhrman's online nutartarian course. Thought it might be fun to do. I read it takes about 6 months to get thru the course. So, not sure I have the time right now. Will see.

Off to work, everyone have a nice day.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Sounds like everyone is doing great! (except mihani's work! ugh!) I'm doing well too, all things considered. My peri-menopause became menopause and my 'mones tanked again. Each time they tank it takes me a week or so to get them wrangled in again. sheesh. But I feel like I've figured a few things out, and have a decent handle on things.
    I'm still trying to eat a lower carb, but higher fat (nuts and avocados galore), nutrient dense, plant based diet. Not a lot of animal products, but when I do: it's usually cheese or cold water fish. Fatty fish seems to help my symptoms. So I've been adding sardines or herring, or sometimes salmon to my salads. Not 100% nutritarian, but the best I can do now.

cheers!
  • liapr
    Sabine, nice to see you!! Wow I'm so impressed that you've been able to navigate so well and figure out what works and doesn't work. Sounds like you've got a great handle on it, minus the hormones this week. Hope next week feels back to normal!

Terri, let us know if you take the course!! Reading your posts is really encouraging, especially right now - I LOVE shopping but lately I hate it because nothing is fitting me the way I want it to. I just need to kick it up a notch too and keep the end goal in sight.

Is anyone doing anything exciting this weekend? In Canada, we have our thanksgiving this weekend- woohoo (Happy T-giving Sloth and Karrie!). I'm heading up to visit the in-laws this weekend. I'm looking forward to it and a mini getaway from the city - and luckily my MIL serves lots of veggies! Happy Friday everyone <3
  • tdh1991
    HI all,

Had a really nice weekend. My daughter made it home :) but my son did not :(. Her dinner bday party was a success. I made the most delicious dinner. See recipes below. The Hominy dish was excellent.

I let a little too many starches in my diet this weekend so back to the grind today.

Sabine: I do the same thing. Low bread starch serving higher fat. It seems to work for me. And that way I can eat enough calories.

Lia: Happy Thanksgiving. Hope you visit to the inlaws was fun.

Spicy Fall Stew Baked in a Pumpkin

Serves 4
    You don't need a magic spell to turn a pumpkin into the edible serving dish for this satisfying autumn recipe. If you can't find a large pumpkin or squash, bake this stew in two smaller ones. Serve with Poblano-Cucumber Salsa (linked below).

1 medium onion, diced (1 cup)
    2 Tbs. olive oil, divided
    1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch dice
    2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
    1 tsp. chili powder, preferably New Mexican
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    ½ tsp. dried oregano
    ½ lb. tomatillos, husked and quartered (1½ cups)
    1 15-oz. can hominy, rinsed and drained (can substitute quinona)
    ¾ tsp. salt
    1 3- to 4-lb. pumpkin, either sugar pie, cheese, red kuri, kabocha, or buttercup squash
    2 oz. grated sharp Cheddar cheese (½ cup packed) (can leave our or use vegan cheese)

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat 1 Tbs. oil in pot over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Sauté 7 minutes, or until softened. Stir in chili powder, cumin, and oregano, and cook 3 minutes more, or until spices darken.

2. Add tomatillos, hominy, 1/2 cup water, and salt. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, partially covered, 10 to 12 minutes, or until tomatillos are softened. Uncover, and cook 5 minutes more to thicken stew, if necessary.

3. Meanwhile, cut top of pumpkin around stem to make lid. Scoop out pumpkin seeds and strings. Rub inside of pumpkin with remaining 1 Tbs. oil, and sprinkle generously with salt. Sprinkle cheese in bottom of pumpkin.

4. Fill pumpkin with stew, then top with pumpkin lid. Place on parchment-covered baking sheet and bake 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until pumpkin flesh is fork-tender. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes.

5. Scoop stew, including pumpkin, into bowls and serve hot, topped with Poblano-Cucumber Salsa (Click here for recipe).

Pablano Cucumber Salsa
    Makes 1 1/2 cups
    This cool, slightly spicy condiment can be served with tortilla chips as an hors d’oeuvre or used as a topping for black bean soup.

½ cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into small dice
    1 poblano chile
    ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
    2 Tbs. lime juice
    1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
    1 jalapeño chile, stemmed, seeded, and minced
    ½ tsp. salt
    1 ripe avocado, diced

Preheat oven to broil. Roast poblano chile 15 to 20 minutes, or until skin is blackened, turning occasionally. Cool until easy to handle. Remove charred skin, discard seeds and stem, and cut into small dice. Combine poblano, cucumber, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, jalapeño, and salt in small bowl. Gently fold in avocado. Season with salt and pepper.

Slow Cooked Onion Salad

4 medium leeks
    2 tbs mild honey
    1 tbs olive oil
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1 sweet oonion
    1 large ed onion
    1 large white onion
    6 medium shallots
    8 fresh thyme sprigs

1 tbs olive oil
    2 tsp fres lemon juice
    1 tsp chopped garlic
    1 tsp coarse grain mustard
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    2 belgian endives
    5 cups baby spinach
    1/4 cup fresh chives or scallions

add to recipes
    print

email
    pinit
    Tweet
    googleplus
    In this rich, sweet salad, we've included not just onions but their relatives in the Allium family — shallots, leeks, garlic, and chives. For meltingly tender results, be sure to peel off the papery outer layer, the leathery second layer, and any paper-thin membranes from the onions, shallots, and leeks.

Cook
    Reviews (7)

YIELD: Makes 6 servings

ACTIVE TIME: 35 min

TOTAL TIME: 1 1/2 hr
    Ingredients
    For onion mixture

4 medium leeks (1 lb total; white and pale green parts only), trimmed and cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces (1 cup)
    2 tablespoons mild honey
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1 sweet onion such as Vidalia (1/2 lb), trimmed and cut crosswise into 6 slices
    1 large red onion (1/2 lb), trimmed and cut lengthwise into 6 wedges
    1 large white onion (10 oz), trimmed and cut lengthwise into 6 wedges
    6 medium shallots (10 oz total), trimmed
    8 fresh thyme sprigs

For salad

1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
    1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
    1 teaspoon coarse-grain mustard
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    2 Belgian endives