For All You Fitness Walkers

If you are a fitness walker like me, you know how important a good pair of shoes are. There is nothing worse than being half way through a five mile walk when your feet and shins start killing you, and no matter which way you go you still have two and a half miles to walk. Every step is a nightmare, but you just pain your way through it.

I went on a quest to find the best walking shoe, and thought I would share my findings to help others who are serious about walking.

I have tried Nike, Skechers, Ecco, Asics, New Balance, Abeo, and have probably spent almost $1,000.00 on this quest so far. Today I purchased a pair of Under Armour SpeedForm Gemini's at Dicks Sporting Goods, and I think my quest is finally over.

They are the most comfortable shoe to date, and walking hard and fast like I do, I can't even hear my feet hitting the ground with these shoes (and I walk on asphalt). Very little shin pain, no foot pain, no leg pain or knee pain, no hip pain, and all that makes for a much more enjoyable walk.

Today I did a 4.5 mile walk at lunch, and a 3 mile walk before dinner, and both walks were at over a 4mph pace on asphalt. After both walks, I felt just fine, and probably could have done even more.

So if you're serious about walking, the Under Armour SpeedForm Gemini's are definitely worth checking out.

Here is a link...

https://underarmour.com/en-us/mens-ua-speedform-gemini-team-running-shoes/pid1264304-001

Happy Walking... :)

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Not at all sponsored by Under Armour right?

I kid, mostly. Glad you found shoes you like.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Not at all sponsored by Under Armour right?

I kid, mostly. Glad you found shoes you like.

not at all. Just trying to share some info to help others.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    I like you!
  • _flawedperfectly_
    _flawedperfectly_ Posts: 34 Member
    Right now my cheap 20 dollar Champion running shoes from Payless shoes seems to be just fine. I only walk 3.5 to 4 miles a day though so I can't really compare. I just don't see myself spending 120 on walking shoes.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    They don't make them small enough!
    Cheers, h.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    edited October 2015
    Honestly, my $15 pair of shoes I got from Walmart are more comfortable than almost any shoe (except a particular kind of Asics) I've ever worn. I've had Nikes that I had to buy orthopedic insoles for and my feet still killed. I don't buy shoes just for walking, though I'm on my feet for 9.5 hours at work. The shoes I wear now don't have insoles and they're super comfortable. I also struggle with shoes since I am incredibly flat footed (very minimal arch). I walk around 6-8 miles a day and these shoes are great.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    LOL @ shoes
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    edited October 2015
    Everyone's feet are so different, that's why they're are so many brands and styles. One size definitely doesn't fit all.
    Glad you found something that works for you. I went to a running store and has the owner (very knowledgeable in stride and strikes) evaluate me. He had me walk and then jog on a treadmill, and finally made some suggestions on 3 different pairs. I chose the Brooks, and they've been amazing. I was wearing Asics that were for over pronation which I don't have. Go figure, no wonder why I was getting shin splints and knee pain after 3 miles. Now I buy neutral shoes and you're right, once you find "the one" it makes all the difference. Maybe you should go back and buy a out 3 pair, in case they change the model soon!
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Going to buy new shoes tomorrow.
    They have the Under Armour, but i saw some Puma's that i had before and loved.

So when they are the same then i know for sure i buy those. :)
    But interesting.

95069916.png
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Brilliant that you found something that works for you. I haven't seen these in the UK but they do have a website so I will keep an eye out for them next time I'm trying on trainers. Interesting that you have gone for a "running" shoe over "walking" shoes. I never got on well with shoes which were supposed to be especially for walking and so have always warn regular trainers (properly fitted though). I think the other thing is that your feet change over time. Having lost a lot of weight, I wear a different style of shoe now to what I used to when I was more overweight.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    [quote="laurae@lauraash03esh0384;34222584my $15 pair of shoes I got from Walmart are more comfortable than almost any shoe (except a particular kind of Asics) I've ever worn. I've had Nikes that I had to buy orthopedic insoles for and my feet still killed. I don't buy shoes just for walking, though I'm on my feet for 9.5 hours at work. The shoes I wear now don't have insoles and they're super comfortable. I also struggle with shoes since I am incredibly flat footed (very minimal arch). I walk around 6-8 miles a day and these shoes are great. [/quote]

What are they @lauraash03esh0384;34222584?
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    My first pair were avias they were awesome but wore out fast. Then I got asics given to me but I didn't know they were not properly fitted and damaged my foot and still hurts now. I got then skechers go run omg so comfy but wore out in 2 months! So while foam is most comfortable for my foot type I have to go for a thicker and harder sole. I bought several other pair o had to return bc of issues w my feet. Settled on 2 pair of nikes in wide (which is hard to find) one pair has the foam and the other a harder sole. The foam is still more comfy. But I got both on sale for 100 so it was a good deal. My problem? Finding one that lasts! Bc I cannot buy new shoes that often! And one that is comy for my mid sole strike my almost flat and under pronation! Most are made for over pronation and I found the stability or movement control shoes are not that good for feet and weaken muscles! I will check out underarmour! O was told to not go so much with a runner as they are built thinner and lighter and for a certain foot strike. But im still in search! I will next try nb then asics ill give one last chance.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    I love my skechers with the memory foam. It was a hard quest for me to find a shoe myself that was both comfortable and supportive. It's great when you find a pair that's perfect isn't it?

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Honestly, my $15 pair of shoes I got from Walmart are more comfortable than almost any shoe (except a particular kind of Asics) I've ever worn. I've had Nikes that I had to buy orthopedic insoles for and my feet still killed. I don't buy shoes just for walking, though I'm on my feet for 9.5 hours at work. The shoes I wear now don't have insoles and they're super comfortable. I also struggle with shoes since I am incredibly flat footed (very minimal arch). I walk around 6-8 miles a day and these shoes are great.

I bought my hiking boots at walmart, and they were super comfortable straight out of the box with no blisters to be had. I was very pleasantly surprised. Not sure why I didn't think to go there when I bought my new "running" shoes (aka, elliptical and walking shoes). I'm actually not all that happy with what I ended up with; even if they feel comfortable in the store, there's just no way to know how they're going to be until you put a few miles on them.
  • amyash78
    amyash78 Posts: 1 Member
    With my flat feet, I have found that Brooks are best for me. I went to a specialty running store for both pairs that I own. Recently, Ross Dress For Less has had a few pair in stock. Happy Walking! :)
  • desweds
    desweds Posts: 126 Member
    I love my Hokas: http://www.hokaoneone.com/

They are the Rockports of running shoes. Cushy with tons of support.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I am totally in love with my Salomon XT Wings. They are super lightweight (necessary for the arthritis in my right foot) but have really good support and deep enough treads for the trails I walk in addition to pounding the pavement. I especially like the bungee lacing with the little pouch to hide the loose laces. Nothing to untie or get caught on my pantleg or the brush.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    sketchers are rather wonderful

every foot is different. my cousin loooooooves her asics, but i think they squish my feet.

I currently have Saucony Rides. Though it's about time to get some new ones
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited October 2015
    I have a pair of Keen hiking sandals. Lots of room in the toe box and my feet stay cool.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I have a pair of Keen hiking sandals. Lots of room in the toe box and my feet stay cool.

Me too!! Love Keen...have several pairs of hiking boots and a pair for trail walking. They are great for hiking...especially waterproof boots. I mountain climb year round..and my feet stay warm and dry. A bit expensive but worth every penny.