For All You Fitness Walkers

Replies

• mrsnazario1219
    mrsnazario1219 Posts: 173 Member
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    If you are a fitness walker like me, you know how important a good pair of shoes are. There is nothing worse than being half way through a five mile walk when your feet and shins start killing you, and no matter which way you go you still have two and a half miles to walk. Every step is a nightmare, but you just pain your way through it.

I went on a quest to find the best walking shoe, and thought I would share my findings to help others who are serious about walking.

I have tried Nike, Skechers, Ecco, Asics, New Balance, Abeo, and have probably spent almost $1,000.00 on this quest so far. Today I purchased a pair of Under Armour SpeedForm Gemini's at Dicks Sporting Goods, and I think my quest is finally over.

They are the most comfortable shoe to date, and walking hard and fast like I do, I can't even hear my feet hitting the ground with these shoes (and I walk on asphalt). Very little shin pain, no foot pain, no leg pain or knee pain, no hip pain, and all that makes for a much more enjoyable walk.

Today I did a 4.5 mile walk at lunch, and a 3 mile walk before dinner, and both walks were at over a 4mph pace on asphalt. After both walks, I felt just fine, and probably could have done even more.

So if you're serious about walking, the Under Armour SpeedForm Gemini's are definitely worth checking out.

Here is a link...

https://underarmour.com/en-us/mens-ua-speedform-gemini-team-running-shoes/pid1264304-001

Happy Walking... :)

I love my Under Armour sneakers!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I'm not spending that much on a pair of shoes, considering that I have to buy new ones every 6 months, typically.

I got my last ones on Amazon for $30 and they are just fine (Saucony).
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I have a pair of Keen hiking sandals. Lots of room in the toe box and my feet stay cool.

These are getting more and more popular; I really need to look into getting a pair (or at least trying them out). I have a wide toe box, and I usually am stuck wearing shoes that I can rock with socks because my feet sweat. Seems like the keen sandals could be a good fix for my issues.
  • Francl27
    I have a pair of Keen hiking sandals. Lots of room in the toe box and my feet stay cool.

I need to find some of those for next year!

Got to look into Sketchers too. No more cheap Saucony's on Amazon right now sadly.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    moyer566 wrote: »
    sketchers are rather wonderful

every foot is different. my cousin loooooooves her asics, but i think they squish my feet.

I currently have Saucony Rides. Though it's about time to get some new ones
    Thats the same with me! Sketches and Saucony are my favorite :)
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    My feet seem to be agreeable with just about any shoe/boot I put on it. The little amount of Under Armour apparel that I do own, I really like, so the next time I'm ready to buy shoes, I'll have to give UA a look.
    My biggest issue with long walks are my shoulders/trapezoid muscles. After 14-15 miles, those begin to really ache. I wish shoes could fix that!
  • GETU1N
    GETU1N Posts: 1,811 Member
    Brooks! Hands down best shoe
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    I like you!

I like you too... :)
  • fattgrlneeds2bthin
    fattgrlneeds2bthin Posts: 32 Member
    Love my Brooks. Expensive but worth every penny. Wear for work to when on my feet for 12hour shifts and feet no longer hurt at the end of the day.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    Another Salomon convert here. I found them through ActiveGear and they were on sale. Took a shot and they are comfy, even with my plantar faciitis. I have not needed the extra insert for my heel like with my other shoes. I bought two pair for $100, so I will see how long they last. I like the bungee lacing as well.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    crosbylee wrote: »
    Another Salomon convert here. I found them through ActiveGear and they were on sale. Took a shot and they are comfy, even with my plantar faciitis. I have not needed the extra insert for my heel like with my other shoes. I bought two pair for $100, so I will see how long they last. I like the bungee lacing as well.

My water aerobics instructor told me about them (we have a similar foot issue) so I tried hers on and fell in love immediately. I found mine on Amazon for $55 bucks a pair and bought 2. With the mileage I put on, six months seems to be the life span. I have snow walking shoes so I might get 8 months over the winter because I won't be wearing them every day when the weather gets cold and snowy.
  • Bhlinebee
    Bhlinebee Posts: 71 Member
    desweds wrote: »
    I love my Hokas: http://www.hokaoneone.com/

They are the Rockports of running shoes. Cushy with tons of support.

Couldn't agree more; it's like pillows for your feet!
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    THANKS A LOT BROOKS PEOPLE!!!

After reading about the Brooks posts, now I went out and got a pair of "Brooks Glycerin 13's".

Did a 5 mile walk today in 1 hour 11 minutes with them... :)
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    My husband wears Brooks. He has back issues and flat feet and they have been the best yet for him. Well worth the price since he was going through a pair of sneaks a month.
  • Francl27
    How long do you all keep your shoes? Mine have all pretty much failed at the top of the toes after a few months, so I'm very hesitant to spend more than $40 on a pair.
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    I walk barefoot.
    No money from me.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    How long do you all keep your shoes? Mine have all pretty much failed at the top of the toes after a few months, so I'm very hesitant to spend more than $40 on a pair.

I have a funny pinky toe on my right foot and blow out the sides of the shoes pretty quickly, not the Salomon's. The tread is worn down enough after 6 months (and the toe box is still in perfect shape) that I have two pairs now. One for short neighborhood walks on sidewalks and a new pair with better treads for trails and long walks. I would say 8 months or so before they need to be totally retired. My fitness center collects old shoes that then get recycled into the springy surface parks use under the playground equipment.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Honestly, my $15 pair of shoes I got from Walmart are more comfortable than almost any shoe (except a particular kind of Asics) I've ever worn. I've had Nikes that I had to buy orthopedic insoles for and my feet still killed. I don't buy shoes just for walking, though I'm on my feet for 9.5 hours at work. The shoes I wear now don't have insoles and they're super comfortable. I also struggle with shoes since I am incredibly flat footed (very minimal arch). I walk around 6-8 miles a day and these shoes are great.

Hi Laura
    What I did once I found shoes that I liked was buy a spare pair just in case they discontinued that model. Then when I put the spare pair into use I found two more of the same shoes on Amazon and picked them up. They are in the closet right no waiting. What I like is they fir well, Comfortable and I could put them on out of the box and start walking with no break in period. Not Super easy finding a comfortable 4E wide shoe.

In My Case they are New balance MW577BK. M brother found shoes he liked and went through a lot of trouble when he went to replace them and they were discontinued. :)

Good Luck
    Roger
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2015
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm not spending that much on a pair of shoes, considering that I have to buy new ones every 6 months, typically.

I got my last ones on Amazon for $30 and they are just fine (Saucony).

I have a compromise as well: I buy the same "Brooks Pure Connect" over and over. I buy the pair that's 1 to 2 seasons "old" at a great discount. I get these from my local small box shoe store.

And for my day to day walking: I buy the same Nike minimal shoes over and over. A couple of iterations ago's version. These I usually buy from Amazon.