Does the diet coke really has 0 calories?

According to this app and many other sources, the coke diet has 0 calories. But some doctor told me that actually it has some calories and unhealthy sugar. Does anybody know anything about that?

Replies

• RobertWilkens
    RobertWilkens Posts: 77 Member
    People will argue about this (last time, one of them was wearing a coke logo'd t-shirt, presumably an employee of company), but
    -I've read of studies saying that people who drink diet coke eat more calories (I don' remember what % more) and tend to gain more weight. There are a lot of opinions on why that happens, some people say the sweetness from the fake sugar makes you crave more food so you eat more.
    -What's wrong with water? Have it ice cold (over ice even) and filtered, evenually i promise you once you break the addiction to sweet drinks you'll find water served properly tastes better.
    -Nothing wrong with an occasional coke, heck yesterday i had a small (8oz) coke slurpee.
    -rob
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    > -I've read of studies

They must be true then.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    I have lost all my weight and am in maintenance mode all the while drinking diet soda. I do no crave sweets at all nor eat more calories because of diet soda.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited October 2015
    It really does have 0 calories.
    I think the thing about eating more is because it MAY cause cravings in some. I don't think there's enough evidence to support it. BUT here's the thing: we're not monkeys, right? Just becasue we have a craving, does not mean we necessarily have to do anything about it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    People will argue about this (last time, one of them was wearing a coke logo'd t-shirt, presumably an employee of company), but
    -I've read of studies saying that people who drink diet coke eat more calories (I don' remember what % more) and tend to gain more weight. There are a lot of opinions on why that happens, some people say the sweetness from the fake sugar makes you crave more food so you eat more.
    -What's wrong with water? Have it ice cold (over ice even) and filtered, evenually i promise you once you break the addiction to sweet drinks you'll find water served properly tastes better.
    -Nothing wrong with an occasional coke, heck yesterday i had a small (8oz) coke slurpee.
    -rob

Do you have a link to the study?

I've seen the one that says people who drink diet pop tend to be overweight which could be for a number of reasons. Correlation =/= causation.
  • RobertWilkens

i told you up front people argue about this, i don't care to convince people one way or the other, believe what you must. For me, i just think diet soda tastes awful.

A quick search on http://scholar.google.com found an old study which seems to say amongst normal weight people, those who consume at least 21 artificially sweetened beverages per week (3 per day) were twice as likely to become Overweight/Obese (If I'm reading it right).

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2008.284/full

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    It has anywhere from 0-5 calories per serving. USDA guidelines allow companies to round down if <5. Honestly, the 5-10 extra calories you might get won't halt your weight loss, but it's when you install the mindset of "I'm having a diet soda instead of regular and can now have that large fries AND Big Mac (instead of a small regular soda and a single cheeseburger)" that might cut into your calorie deficit.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    It has zero calories.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

i told you up front people argue about this, i don't care to convince people one way or the other, believe what you must. For me, i just think diet soda tastes awful.

A quick search on http://scholar.google.com found an old study which seems to say amongst normal weight people, those who consume at least 21 artificially sweetened beverages per week (3 per day) were twice as likely to become Overweight/Obese (If I'm reading it right).

Holy defensiveness batman. I asked for the link because I had not seen or heard that one and so I could read it myself.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member

It's not about arguing. It's about spreading information that is valid and stopping the spreading of misinformation. If you're going to say "there are studies" or "I've heard of studies" you need to provide people with them so they can make informed opinions, not base it off "what I believe". Someone can say they believe in unicorn kitties, but that doesn't mean they're real...

To answer OP's question, they do have some caloric content from some ingredients (artificial sweeteners, citric acid, and caramel coloring). But, the number of calories per can is still less than one, and FDA regulations allow any food product that contains fewer than five calories per serving to be advertised as calorie-free.

For my own experience, I've lost 70 lbs and have been drinking diet soda.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    OP it has 0-5 cals, aspartame (which others have pointed out is not unhealthy), and although everyone always trots out the "it makes you crave other sugary foods" claim, I have been drinking diet coke for 25 years and not only is this not the case for me, I've actually never met someone who said that was the case and I know A LOT of Diet Coke drinkers.... Come to think of it I've never even seen someone post on here that they actually have these cravings, just that they heard diet coke was bad for xyz reason so they think they have to give it up.

If you enjoy Diet Coke, drink Diet Coke. And maybe think about a new doctor...
  • RobertWilkens
    Holy defensiveness batman. I asked for the link because I had not seen or heard that one and so I could read it myself.

I am not sure that's the study i heard of it's just one i found now. I searched something like "aspartame weight gain" I'm almost just as sure if i searched "aspartame weight loss" i'd find a study saying aspartame is linked with weight loss.

Studies are based on statistics, one thing i learned in college are statistics are the worst kinds of lies because they sound believable -- "There are three types of lies: Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics" - Mark Twain (was a research methods professor's favorite quote in college).
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Oh goodie. This again.

laub4y5gknzr.jpg
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    edited October 2015

I used to order a big mac and fries, or a four-cheeses pizza, and then say ... ohhh, diet coke please ... Not because the diet coke made me want the pizza, but because I was trying to be slightly (and ironically) virtuous while stuffing my face.

This may be where the 'overweight people and diet sodas' statistics comes from! :)

• RobertWilkens
    It's not about arguing. It's about spreading information that is valid and stopping the spreading of misinformation. If you're going to say "there are studies" or "I've heard of studies" you need to provide people with them so they can make informed opinions, not base it off "what I believe". Someone can say they believe in unicorn kitties, but that doesn't mean they're real...

Why is my "belief" the only one that requires a study? Another post on MFP is not a peer-reviewed study.

My experience is since january:
    -Cut sugar out of coffee
    -Cut soda almost down to none
    -Changed almost nothing else (maybe more exercise, and supplements), i even still have late night snacks like ice cream/cereal/oreos.
    -Lost 30 pound since january

I'm beginning to wonder if i can find a study that links eating oreos with weight loss.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member

Why is my "belief" the only one that requires a study? Another post on MFP is not a peer-reviewed study.

My experience is since january:
    -Cut sugar out of coffee
    -Cut soda almost down to none
    -Changed almost nothing else (maybe more exercise, and supplements), i even still have late night snacks like ice cream/cereal/oreos.
    -Lost 30 pound since january

I'm beginning to wonder if i can find a study that links eating oreos with weight loss.

Because why did you lose? You were in a deficit :)