What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• HowlinAl
    HowlinAl Posts: 277 Member
    That even when you let yourself get the unhealthy side of potato chips over fruit, you realize 3 chips in that you just don't want anymore.

Not for me; potato chips are my kryptonite. Lol!

Amen. I often say, only half jokingly, that if potato chips and Doritos had never been invented I'd have never got fat. Something about that salty crunchy stuff drives me absolutely mad.
  • dianaiku
    dianaiku Posts: 96 Member
    With every pound lost my motivation to lose another pound increases tenfold.
    You can keep your hobbies from when you weighed more, but beware: they may become a hundred times more fun!
    You become more assertive with family, especially if family is a big reason why you were fat.
    How gross and nasty it is to eat junk food if you dare try eating it again.
    Love the OP's example that people start treating you like royalty because, well, duh! So true.
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    That you would take more time to get ready because you actually care about what you looked like. I was so unhappy with myself that I didn't mind if I looked like crap because I didn't care. Now I am down 50lbs and 8 inches and I care a lot more!!

Exactly this! It takes WAY more effort now to get ready in the morning because I have a lot more clothing options and if my clothes look so good I want my hair and makeup to look good as well :smile:
  • prettyleelee
    prettyleelee Posts: 236 Member
    That you would take more time to get ready because you actually care about what you looked like. I was so unhappy with myself that I didn't mind if I looked like crap because I didn't care. Now I am down 50lbs and 8 inches and I care a lot more!!

Exactly this! It takes WAY more effort now to get ready in the morning because I have a lot more clothing options and if my clothes look so good I want my hair and makeup to look good as well :smile:

Exactly!!
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    kar328 wrote: »
    Kalici wrote: »

It has also started feeling like I have Tardis clothing. It looks too small to fit, but it always does so it has to be bigger on the inside, right? ;)

YES!! I ordered a fleece hoodie from Old Navy that showed up in yesterday's mail - a small (used to be a 2-3X) - I've just started buying their clothes and they tend to run a little big. I held it up and dang, it was tiny. I figured I'd save it for spring, but tried it on and zipped it up. And smiled.

Aparently they are everywhere because I just bought a size medium coat and I have never worn a medium anything - definitely bigger on the inside.

• GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    bri170lb wrote: »
    kar328 wrote: »
    Kalici wrote: »

It has also started feeling like I have Tardis clothing. It looks too small to fit, but it always does so it has to be bigger on the inside, right? ;)

YES!! I ordered a fleece hoodie from Old Navy that showed up in yesterday's mail - a small (used to be a 2-3X) - I've just started buying their clothes and they tend to run a little big. I held it up and dang, it was tiny. I figured I'd save it for spring, but tried it on and zipped it up. And smiled.

Aparently they are everywhere because I just bought a size medium coat and I have never worn a medium anything - definitely bigger on the inside.

My winter coat was a bit too small. I couldn't get the belt around me. Looking forward to cold day now to know if it fits better!
  • Boobietrap1337
    Boobietrap1337 Posts: 195 Member
    bri170lb wrote: »
    Wait a minute! Hold the phone! So......i can travel through space and time when I put on the coat I bought at Goodwill last night???????!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's time lord technology right there. Very valuable stuff.
  • mogobam
    mogobam Posts: 25 Member

...How silently frustrated I will get with others who claim to be trying to lose weight but are doing it in a completely unhealthy way.

Oh my gosh. Yes. So much.
  • JanolaBarbara
    JanolaBarbara Posts: 322 Member
    This thread is great!

For me, it's that grocery shopping takes so long, because I'm reading every ingredient list. Also, there are some things in the store I just don't know where they are, because I mainly shop the perimeter. Someone asked me if I knew where X was, and I had no idea. They thought I was weird!
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    edited October 2015

. . . . there are some things in the store I just don't know where they are, because I mainly shop the perimeter. Someone asked me if I knew where X was, and I had no idea. They thought I was weird!

I pre plan my weekly meals and shop with a list, which I stick to AND I walk every aisle. How else would I get my steps in on a grimy day. Fitbit assures me that my local Tesco has 1.25 miles of aisles!!!

My NSV is a little scale related: I've been reverse dieting to find my maintenance calories level and dropped another pound - and this week I've stayed at the bottom end of my target range!

I also went to a theatre production last night, staged in a 1000 year old castle. The old seats were so uncomfortable - it seems I don't have enough padding on my rear end.

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    SCP0914 wrote: »
    That trying to keep up with the boys when you're 60 pounds lighter results in you getting embarrassingly plastered. :disappointed:

I'm only 11kgs lighter but yep. My alcohol tolerance has gone out the window
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    The lighter you are, it seems the heavier alcohol is!!! :s
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    This thread is great!

For me, it's that grocery shopping takes so long, because I'm reading every ingredient list. Also, there are some things in the store I just don't know where they are, because I mainly shop the perimeter. Someone asked me if I knew where X was, and I had no idea. They thought I was weird!
    Now that you mention it, I realize that I rarely go up the middle of the store as well.

Grocery stores seem to suspend the laws of time when I go in them. I have no friggin clue what happens but I usually end up shopping for a couple of hours.

Actually, that's not true. Since I am trying to remain on my low sodium diet, I have a very selective list of things that I will buy. Take jello, for instance. I get sugar free jello cups that come in a package of 12. However, the one brand I used to buy all the time has 50mg of sodium per cup and I found another brand that has 15mg per cup. So, since the store where I do most of my shopping doesn't carry the lower sodium variety, I have to make another stop just to get jello.

I usually have four or five "specialty" items like that and have not found a store that has all of it under one roof, so I have to hop from store to store just to get the items I know I'm going to buy. It seems to eat up an entire Saturday afternoon.
  • malcolmjcooper
    malcolmjcooper Posts: 79 Member
    kuwick1230 wrote: »
    That moment when you pull out your drivers license and realize that for the first time in years you actually weigh less than what's printed on the card!!

They put your weight on your licence really that bloody invasive
  • sybabe35
    sybabe35 Posts: 99 Member
    mogobam wrote: »

...How silently frustrated I will get with others who claim to be trying to lose weight but are doing it in a completely unhealthy way.

Oh my gosh. Yes. So much.

Yes! I'm like that too! It makes me feel like they're undermining my efforts when they tell me how they're doing it, with a smug tone. But they don't see results.
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    That moment when you pull out your drivers license and realize that for the first time in years you actually weigh less than what's printed on the card!!

They don't put your weight on your licence? Where are you from? I'm Canadian, and that's standard. No sarcasm intended, just curious?
  • Toria718
    Toria718 Posts: 396 Member

They don't put your weight on your licence? Where are you from? I'm Canadian, and that's standard. No sarcasm intended, just curious?

Im from Pennsylvania and we don't have our weight on ours. My pic is bad enough to show I'm still fat , but so much worse 6 years ago. I wasnt in the sun a lot (bday is in July ) and I wasn't eating well so I looked like a snowman lol
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!