anti-gym snobbery

Replies

• sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    edited October 2015
    Living intermountan west..Yah its great except in the winter. I plan on joining VASA for a few months then back to outdoors. Mountain hiking burns a lot of calories and enjoyable.

I dont care where it is, as long as I am moving.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Ya, I see it all the time and just laugh.

Normally is something like.

Poster 1: I'm looking into a treadmill or joining a gym for my cardio.....

Poster 2: Go out side, its free, fresh air, etc.......

We'll ya, it was just 15 below where poster 1 is, where the overnight low where poster 2 is was something like 40.

I wonder if people like Poster 2 actually regularly exercise outside. While I do prefer to exercise outside, the weather doesn't always cooperate, and sometimes for months on end. I'm currently living in Massachusetts and was snow bound for a good part of last winter. When I lived in South Florida, it was just too hot for me for a good part of the year.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I'm guilty of taking the superior air. Anything I find out that someone is paying $100+ a month on their gym membership. I pay $10 a month at my gym for all the same gym equipment, childcare, personal trainers and group fitness classes that every other gym has.
    Why the heck would anyone pay $100+ just to go to a gym that has a cafe, nail salon, gift shop, etc...seems like a terrible waste of money.
    There I go again, me and my superior air......

Why would the fact that other people want to spend their money differently make you feel superior? Are you like this in every aspect of your life, or just when it comes to gyms?

They go out to eat. I eat at home. *superior pat on back*
    She buys her clothes from a high end boutique. I get mine at Target. *superior pat on back*
    He shops at Whole Foods. I shop at Walmart. *superior pat on back*

• krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    I went to the gym for years. Eventually, I stop going but kept paying for membership for while. When I did go, I did so because I know I should do it, not because I enjoyed it.

Before I had kids, I had so much disposable time. Now, I challenge the need for every minute I don't spend with them that they are awake. That is not to say I don't, I just have to have a damn good reason. For my exercise now, I mountain bike, something that I love. It gives me the cardio benefits I was getting from the gym but now I want to do it. That time I can use multiple justifications for it: exercise, me time, stress relief, and more. Gym time only fills one of those buckets for me--exercise.

It won't make sense till you have kids how much time that can or that you want them to consume. When I read about people on MFP working out 6 days a week for 1-2 hrs, I do the typical parent thing and think either they don't have kids, don't work, or have different priorities than me. Still, one should manage their time and take care of their health, if not for themselves, then for their kids.

I agree. It's simply not the same pre and post kids. Post kids, you have to do everything you did pre kids and throw in children into the mix. Keeping kids alive, fed, dry and warm is pretty darn hard. It takes a lot more work to plan your meals and workouts around them.

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    I run and go to the gym - I always ask "anti-gym" people what their strategy is to build, tone, and maintain their muscle mass, as "scrawny" isn't exactly a coveted image for most.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

We'll ya, it was just 15 below where poster 1 is, where the overnight low where poster 2 is was something like 40.

Not only weather, but safety and timing. When my husband first moved in with me, it opened up the morning time slot for the first time (so much easier than after work when your kids have extracurriculars as well) since I didn't have to be home while my child was asleep. Anyway, I had to workout at 4am to be back in time for him to head to work. I live in a low crime area, but even I'm not risking going for a run in the dark when nobody is up!

This. Unless it's a group run, I'm not running in the dark. With life being what it is, that means I'm going to hit the treadmill sometimes. Although I love running outside, the risks just aren't worth it to me.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited October 2015
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I wonder if people like Poster 2 actually regularly exercise outside. While I do prefer to exercise outside, the weather doesn't always cooperate, and sometimes for months on end. I'm currently living in Massachusetts and was snow bound for a good part of last winter. When I lived in South Florida, it was just too hot for me for a good part of the year.

I've been active in winter before. Just shoveling myself out is a workout on some snowfalls. But the only time I did not take the dog on her walks was when it was -40F with the windchill. I plan on running with her too this winter. winter gear is already bought minus the yaktrax which a mailman recommended for hidden ice. Summer is what gets me. I can only take off so many clothes before someone complains about the streaker
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    I'm guilty of taking the superior air. Anything I find out that someone is paying $100+ a month on their gym membership. I pay $10 a month at my gym for all the same gym equipment, childcare, personal trainers and group fitness classes that every other gym has.
    Why the heck would anyone pay $100+ just to go to a gym that has a cafe, nail salon, gift shop, etc...seems like a terrible waste of money.

Why would the fact that other people want to spend their money differently make you feel superior? Are you like this in every aspect of your life, or just when it comes to gyms?

They go out to eat. I eat at home. *superior pat on back*
    She buys her clothes from a high end boutique. I get mine at Target. *superior pat on back*
    He shops at Whole Foods. I shop at Walmart. *superior pat on back*

Optimistical was just being a bit tongue-in-cheek. I have met people like that though (as regards their shopping) - it used to be that people boasted about how much money they spent, now they boast about the bargains they get. I think it's gone too far though - dirt cheap usually requires miserable pay and working conditions for certain people in the chain.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Lots of people find a way to make it work. I keep trying during the winter, but last year the gym was necessary for me. I do see others running and biking outside throughout the winter, though, and I used to be one of them.
  • FatSwatter
    FatSwatter Posts: 175 Member
    I haven't experienced this yet but what I've always told people who've asked if they should get a gym membership is this: find what works for you and stick with it!

I used to have a gym membership but found myself enjoying walking outside and doing workout videos at home more than what the gym offered. That's just me and I've lost 42 pounds doing this. However, what works for me may not be what works for everyone else. When people approach it that way, I think it sends a different message instead of snobbery. However, a lot of people will read into something a lot more than was intended no matter how nice you say something. That's why I just tell people to find what works for them and ignore everyone else. :smile:
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member

What gym do you go to?! $10 a month for a gym with free childcare is awesome... I pay $93 a month for the YMCA and it's the cheapest around here I could find.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    I love laughing at the people who feel they need to make a point of letting me know they work out in a gym.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    I do feel a bit defensive when I tell people I run on the treadmill... I personally like the treadmill. I like running outside too, but I'm picky about the conditions so the treadmill is convenient.

I'm sure people think I'm crazy for joining a gym just to use their treadmill (and childcare) when I have a treadmill at home.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member

Not only weather, but safety and timing. When my husband first moved in with me, it opened up the morning time slot for the first time (so much easier than after work when your kids have extracurriculars as well) since I didn't have to be home while my child was asleep. Anyway, I had to workout at 4am to be back in time for him to head to work. I live in a low crime area, but even I'm not risking going for a run in the dark when nobody is up!

This. Unless it's a group run, I'm not running in the dark. With life being what it is, that means I'm going to hit the treadmill sometimes. Although I love running outside, the risks just aren't worth it to me.

I live in a safe enough area to go running in the dark, but at some points in time, the weather's just not going to be doing it for me.

Now, I've grown to hate even walking on the treadmill, so I'm joining a gym with a track. They also have a deep water pool so I can water jog and give my knees a break from jogging.

I've never encountered negativity about the gym.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

I live in a safe enough area to go running in the dark, but at some points in time, the weather's just not going to be doing it for me.

Now, I've grown to hate even walking on the treadmill, so I'm joining a gym with a track. They also have a deep water pool so I can water jog and give my knees a break from jogging.

I've never encountered negativity about the gym.

It gets very cold here (Minnesota), so I'm currently investigating what it would cost to join a gym with a track for the coldest months of winter. Unfortunately, most of the ones around here want contracts. Deep water jogging sounds fun.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited October 2015
    Leyshinka wrote: »
    No, never.

Kind of ironic since I am from the running capital of the world. :)

Most people who are serious about fitness do a variety of different things, some of which involve going to the gym.

Is the running capital you are from somewhere in Kenya or Jamaica? Just curious. I have done a quick google search and found different opinions....

OP... Yes I have had similar experiences.

Eugene, Oregon...where Nike was born.

It's one of those self-bestowed titles. :) Oregon is also pretty bike-friendly. Something like 9% of Portland's population commutes by bike.

The point is that I know an inordinate number of people who run outdoors. I live in a climate where some degree of outdoor exercise is feasible for most of the year...and I still don't encounter the attitude that the OP describes.

I see active people of all kinds supporting each other in doing a wide variety of exercises. Now active people vs. people who never exercise? That's an entirely different story.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

This is a good point. I would love it if there were a gym near work that didn't require you join for the entire year. I would probably go to the gym in Winter. I'd at least try it because I loathe working out in my house. I wish there were a gym here where I could join for a month at a time.

Convenience is also an issue. I live in a rural area. The nearest gym is a good 30 min drive from my house if traffic is light.
  • April0010
    April0010 Posts: 178 Member
    I've noticed that when I tell people I go to the gym, a lot of them try to get me to go to cross fit. "You should try it, it's so awesome, you'll love it!" That's great for you, but I've tried it and it's not my thing. Even my close friends keep trying to get me out of my gym and into cross fit.
  • QueenKristine77
    QueenKristine77 Posts: 67 Member
    I dont go to the gym only because it's about 5 miles from my house and i don't drive. I just run outside or workout at home. Works for me!
  • MrsCaitlinBeltran
    MrsCaitlinBeltran Posts: 241 Member
    I've had people kind of snigger at me and say "you're lucky you get the time!!! *Eye roll* Wait til you have kids".

This annoys me HUGELY! I work full time, I have a house to run, food to cook, clothes to wash, bills to pay and I FIND the time because my health is important to me. No -I don't have kids. But I also know plenty of people that do have kids and still find time to get a couple of work-out's in a week..

I can't believe people would actually say something like this--Super annoying and rude, geez! I have a toddler and go to the gym almost daily and my bambino loves it! Kids just happen to be an excuse for some people. Finding time is the key for everyone-kids or no kids :)