what did you have (or wish you had) for your first week?

Autum1031
Autum1031 Posts: 83 Member
My surgery is scheduled for 11/16, I am having the sleeve. Despite all of my research and prep, I feel totally overwhelmed and not at all prepared. So I'm wondering: what did you all have ready for that first week? How many protein shakes/powders did you have? What liquids did you tolerate the best, especially if you had nausea? (I am prone to it). Any other advice for that first week or two would be most welcome. My dr's office gave me a nice checklist but I'd rather hear it from those who have gone before. Thanks.

Replies

• kimgravitt3
    kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
    I'm with you Autumn 1031. I have surgery next week 10-28 and I am really curious as to what everyone tolerated and was able to eat as well. My doctor allows pureed foods when you come home from the hospital for the 1st four weeks. I would really like some suggestions. Thanks for opening up the discussion! By the way, I'm having RNY.
  • AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    I'm trying to find similar info. There isn't much talk on you tube about the first 2 weeks or so after surgery. I'd appreciate any help or ideas that could be shared as well!
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    I would have a few samples of protein powder, but resist buying a huge tub before your surgery. My tastes significantly changed with my surgery, and I could no longer tolerate the Unjury I'd used pre-op. I had better luck with Carnation no sugar instant breakfast mixed with protein enhanced milk and genepro unflavored protein powder. Warm went better than cold for me too, so I used the genepro (Isopure makes a decent unflavored powder too) quite a bit in pureed soups or broth to amp their protein counts.

Don't be shy about asking your surgeon for some anti nausea meds to take home, and if you're having nausea issues in the hospital, be ok staying an extra night to see if it improves. I ended up staying 3 nights due to nausea, and by that 3rd day was finally getting in what I needed to and felt much better about going home. Take it slow and don't be afraid to experiment- each of us is different. My mom had an RNY 6 months before my sleeve and she tolerated very cold stuff the best, and needed to add Propel powder to her water for it to sit easier on her stomach. Warm liquids are better for me, and I can't stand flavoring in my water now.

If you don't have one, invest in a bullet or immersion blender, they make the first several weeks much easier, and you get a much better mix on your protein drinks/soups than trying to use a shaker cup. My shaker cup was great when I was on the go, but I never use it at home.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    There are a ton of threads on similar topics if you look further down the line. Click the "ALL Discussions" link on the right side of the page.
    What worked for me was having a variety of shakes, pre-mixed and powder and a big 32oz sports bottle. That bottle hardly ever left my hand. A recliner would have been nice, but I crashed at my parents and was able to re-arrange the couch cushions so that I could sleep on an incline. Sleeping flat was painful to try for the first few nights. Might want an eye mask for mid-day naps. That's really about it.
    All you're gonna do that week is sleep, sit around, walk around, drink a lot, and pee. Oh, and while we are on that subject... get started on a stool softener as soon as you get home, and maybe have an emergency bottle of MagCitrate in the house. Many people end up with some impaction if you are not proactive.
  • kimgravitt3
    kimgravitt3 Posts: 186 Member
    Thanks for the advice anbrdr and sinderstorm!
  • Autum1031
    Ditto!
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Thanks for starting this conversation Autum1031. I am waiting for my surgery date and have some of the same questions. Sinderstorm where do you get your Genepro? I have been looking at it and unflavored Isopure. Anbrdr I think your advice on a variety of shakes are excellent. I will also check into the stool softener I don't need any extra difficulties. Thank you both for your advice.
  • jenean52
    jenean52 Posts: 80 Member
    I am six weeks out from sleeve surgery. I found the first week I was just trying to keep water down, small sips of lukewarm water worked for me. Protein enriched broths helped after that first week.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    I had very bad nausea (also prone to it), and all I could tolerate for a while was the broth from Cup Noodles, ice pops, and small amounts of Crystal Light Peach Iced Tea. That salty broth was my saving grace. It kept me feeling human, and I think the salt itself was a major part of it. Keep a decently sized water bottle around. I'd say 1L/32oz is perfect, cause you should aim for 2 of those a day. It'll seem impossible at first, but it won't always be.

My protein shakes were a battle to get down just because of how rich I found them to be, but I found that it worked easier with almond milk than with cow's milk or water. And there's an opportunity for extra calcium and vitamins, as almond milk is loaded with that. If you can get sample sizes of a bunch of different brands, that would be better than getting a big tub of one type of protein powder. A lot of people have problems with protein powders, or their tastes change and what was fine before surgery, no longer is. I didn't have that experience, though. I got lucky, cause I just bought two big tubs of the same brand of protein powder, different flavors. Isopure Dutch Chocolate and Unflavored. I'd recommend getting an unflavored protein powder, because you can add it to soups and savory things very easily to meet your protein goal.

I also made the mistake of over-preparing and over-shopping. Your stomach is going to be SO small, and you're not really going to want to take much in right after the surgery. I made myself lots of jello that I never touched. I had tons of little containers of apple sauce that I didn't even want to look at after the surgery. I had piles of baby food containers as a "just in case" that didn't ever end up helping. As long as you have a couple of things and you can ask someone in your family to run out and get you things as needed, you don't have to worry or over-prepare in stocking up the kitchen. A couple of cans of soup, a jar of apple sauce, and a couple of jello packets are all that you need, really. In addition to your protein powder, of course!

When you try to get up out of bed, lightly press a pillow up against your abdomen. It helps with the pain and keeping yourself steady. I got myself one of those pillow seats for bed, that look like the top part of a recliner. It made it so much easier for me to stay comfortable and sleep upright/on an incline if I needed to. And let me tell you, the acid reflux immediately after the surgery was a nightmare. I had to sleep completely upright for a few nights. Turns out I was drinking too quickly, so make sure to sip slowly! I'd drink more to get rid of the acid and it'd just get worse!

Also, please ask your surgeon to give you a script (with refills) for anti-nausea medicine. They normally give you the dissolving tablets that make it easier for you to get them in. Don't be afraid to take these while you're recovering. The nausea won't last forever, and you'll be back to normal in no time. The hardest parts always seem like an eternity when you're in them, but afterwards, it's just a blip in history.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    I totally agree with @crepes_. I had bad nausea and heartburn for weeks. I needed those prescriptions. Good news is 10 weeks later it is a distant memory. Don't worry about meeting any food quotas, it won't happen. And each day will be better. It will be fine. Remember why you are doing it.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    anbrdr wrote: »
    There are a ton of threads on similar topics if you look further down the line. Click the "ALL Discussions" link on the right side of the page.
    What worked for me was having a variety of shakes, pre-mixed and powder and a big 32oz sports bottle. That bottle hardly ever left my hand. A recliner would have been nice, but I crashed at my parents and was able to re-arrange the couch cushions so that I could sleep on an incline. Sleeping flat was painful to try for the first few nights. Might want an eye mask for mid-day naps. That's really about it.
    All you're gonna do that week is sleep, sit around, walk around, drink a lot, and pee. Oh, and while we are on that subject... get started on a stool softener as soon as you get home, and maybe have an emergency bottle of MagCitrate in the house. Many people end up with some impaction if you are not proactive.

All of this. I didn't sleep in my bed the first couple of nights because I tend to toss and turn a lot, so I slept in my big comfy chair with an ottoman (I'm short so it worked). I used a travel pillow so that my head wouldn't flop like a rag doll. It helped for both sleeping and sitting around. anbrdr is right about the stool softener too. I know of a bunch of people in the support group I attend mentioned that they had issues.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Thanks for starting this conversation Autum1031. I am waiting for my surgery date and have some of the same questions. Sinderstorm where do you get your Genepro? I have been looking at it and unflavored Isopure. Anbrdr I think your advice on a variety of shakes are excellent. I will also check into the stool softener I don't need any extra difficulties. Thank you both for your advice.

I have found it cheapest on Amazon. I'm a prime member, so free 2 day shipping on it.
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Thanks sinderstorm. I saw it on Amazon and I'm gonna get a container. It looks like a very good deal. I like the idea of adding it to just about anything. I'm not a prime member but I may have to consider it. I order from there at least once a month anyway.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    I had both the traditional (shake) protein drinks and some thin protein drinks. I could not drink the shake like protein drinks they were just too thick. I could not tolerate the taste of Isopure so it was a waste of money. I was able to tolerate Nectar protein mix. When mixed the Nectar is thin like water. I used the strawberry kiwi and added crystal light lemonade to cut the sweetness. I'm not a fan of sweet drinks but in order to get my protein in I drank it anyway. I also used the chicken flavored protein broth mix. I had some leftover from Metabolic Research Centers. I would use the Knorr chicken broth mix rather than the premixed broth. The premixed was so bland it was terrible to drink. I also had one or two cans of traditional chicken noodle soup. I drained all the noodles off and mixed the remaining liquid with an equal part of water. Although it's high in sodium I needed the taste of something other than sweet. A can will last you 3 or 4 days if you only drink a few ounces of the soup per day.

Use your timer on your phone and take a few sips every 10 - 15 minutes from the time you get up until you go to bed to get all your fluids in.

Have a good thermometer so you can monitor your temperature, food scales, measuring cups, etc.

Ask your surgeon to give you anti-nausea patches. I put the first one on the night before surgery and had no nausea in the hospital. I also had a few to use after I got home when the nausea returned.

• Autum1031
    thank you everyone! loveshoe, where did you get your thermometer from? I'm having a hard time finding a decent one.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    I wish that I would have gotten my pain and nausea meds filled at the Hospital. My surgery was 2 hrs away and I didn't get released till after 7pm. After I realized that my pharmacy was closed and I didn't have enough meds to last me till morning.
    I wish I had gas x tongue tabs at the hospital
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Thermapen is there best, but they are expensive. Mine has held up great over its last 5 years of use though. The probe is super fast. Sometimes you can get them via open box sale for cheaper