New to MFP and 110 lbs to goal weight

lhefner555
lhefner555 Posts: 12 Member
edited October 2015 in Getting Started
Hello! I'm new to MFP and I am looking for some friends to help motivate me to stay on track. I have always struggled with weight, but never this bad. I'm the type who will lose, then gain it all back, lose again, gain again, etc. However, I am now at my heaviest I have ever been and I don't even recognize myself anymore. I NEED to lose this weight. I've never been more unhappy with myself, not to mention the constant aches and pains of daily life with all the extra weight! I am 31 and have a busy life with a full time job and three amazing little boys (10, 9, and 7 months), who I want to be a positive influence for. Thanks! :-)

Replies

• ShashayLee
    ShashayLee Posts: 178 Member
    welcome to MFP, good for you for taking that first step to health! I am down 63 pounds now with 40 to 60 to go & the difference to me is huge. All the best to you in your journey & do feel free to friend me if you need a weight loss buddy :)
  • lhefner555
    Thank you! I will be sending a request!
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Welcome to MFP ....wishing you the best ..... feel free to add me :) WE GOT THIS
  • Graymanstole
    Graymanstole Posts: 257 Member
    A lot of people who struggle with this weight thing tend to believe that the weight itself isn't real. I know that sounds odd, but they look at the problem like "Oh, I can lose it anytime I want, so it's not really a problem." The issue with that is this usually leads them to view only the weight which needs to change, instead of the life style which led to the weight in the first place.

Changing your lifestyle is way harder than simply going on a diet and dropping some pounds. It's a constant struggle because it will last a life time instead of just saying "I'm not eating chocolate for 30 days" (I still can't do that one myself). It is attainable, it is difficult, and it is worth it. Good luck, I truly hope you can get to a point where you can be happy with yourself and the changes you need to make to get you to where you want to be, and to keep you there once you make it!
  • PrincessMegan13
    PrincessMegan13 Posts: 43 Member
    Welcome to MFP! This is an amazing place to meet people, get the motivation and support you need and to have people who actually KNOW what you're going through. It's tough when someone just doesn't understand how you are feeling because they haven't experienced the same struggle. Good for you for wanting to do this for your kiddos but also for yourself! Children can be incredibly motivating and really ignite that fire inside of us to do better for them.

I'm happy to be a support for you while you go through this journey! I started needing to lose 100# and I have about 80# to go...so I'm here for the long haul! Best of luck to you on this journey and I hope that you are able to find that happiness with yourself! I know it sounds trite, but we need to love ourselves as much as we love others! :)
  • lhefner555
    Thank you!! I am really hoping to make it a lifestyle change this time around. I am also definitely doing it for myself as much as I am my kids! :)
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    I started in April with 125 pounds to lose and I am already down by 64 pounds. If you just get started and stick to the plan you will be amazed at how quickly it comes off. But you must have patience. If you are expecting overnight results then you will be sorely disappointed. You are not going to be able to crash diet 110 pounds. This is something that is going to take well over a year and quite possibly two. So get a plan that you can do comfortably and settle in for the long haul.
  • lhefner555
    Wow! Congrats on your progress! That is great! I know that it is going to take time to come off, and I am ready for that. I just needed to finally get myself started (which is the hardest part for me).
  • rejeannern
    rejeannern Posts: 3 Member
    Hi and welcome to one of the most awesome sites to help you with your goals. I've been working this site for nearly two months and have lost 17 lbs, 16 inches, and gain my belief that I can do this. I'm older than you but remember being in the same place, with kids, jobs and such and wished I had put myself and my health needs ahead of many distractions and commitments. Make your health your priority, because when you are ill, you are not going to be able to be there for the ones you love and need you. I waited to long to fully understand this concept and ended up with diabetes type II, strokes, knee replacement and overall ill health. Do what you can now as you are still so young. Myfitnesspal is a great site to help you learn, adhere, and track. It was a recommendation from my sister to explore it and it has been the best gift given to me. Please add me as your friend, I would love to be on this journey with you.
  • lhefner555
    Thank you! Congrats on your progress so far! I would love to add you, thanks! :-)
  • aspen1377
    aspen1377 Posts: 60 Member
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    I started in April with 125 pounds to lose and I am already down by 64 pounds. If you just get started and stick to the plan you will be amazed at how quickly it comes off. But you must have patience. If you are expecting overnight results then you will be sorely disappointed. You are not going to be able to crash diet 110 pounds. This is something that is going to take well over a year and quite possibly two. So get a plan that you can do comfortably and settle in for the long haul.

This is such great advice and a great mindset!
  • lhefner555
    Thank you!! I will definitely check out those threads! :-) Appreciate all help and tips! :-)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Pop the baby in a stroller and out everyone goes for a walk. Too cold? Off everyone goes to the mall for a walk. Play outdoor games. In the winter, make snow angels and throw snow. If it's warm enough, make a snowman.

Keep moving. Dance in the house. Do crunches and body weight. Workouts come free on YouTube and discs are cheap on eBay (but don't buy from people with thousands of sales, like 10,000, because who knows if you'll get it.

If you can swing it, join a gym.

Move, move and move some more. The more you do it, the easier it gets. Some people say "Yoga," but I vote no. I tried yoga at 250 pounds. I tipped over. I say save yoga for when you're thinner (or less fat.) :smiley:

Eat healthy. Start working healthy foods into the diet if you don't already do that. You'll raise kids who eat well and you will, too.

Get enough sleep!!! It's important.

I'm down 96 pounds. I never dreamed it would happen for me, but it's happening. When I'm done, I'll have lost more than 110.

You can do it!

Good luck!
  • lhefner555
    Thank you!! :) Love all of the tips! :) Congrats on all you have accomplished! I hope I get there!