Running fatigue?

Hello everyone, just inquiring about runner's fatigue. I haven't been running to heavily or too fast for that matter but I notice I never experience "runners high" or a burst of energy. I normally feel fatigued after a moderate run and I'm concerned due to the fact I will be running a 5k as of June 5th 2016 and I need to start training slowly but surely. I am thinking it may be due to wait or frequency of runs right now, I am just hoping it will diminish as I run more often.

Replies

• DavidVXR
    DavidVXR Posts: 109 Member
    Try following couch to 5k you may be taking a step backward however it's graded to the right level so you won't get the massive drop in blood sugar after a run.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    What is your schedule like?

"runners high" can be a rare thing. Its not often that I feel like I can run forever and ever. I enjoy most runs on some level (physical, mental, emotional), but that perfect feeling is elusive.

But...you're taking like 8 months to work up to a 5k. I doubt that's fatigue.
  • shaynataggart
    shaynataggart Posts: 71 Member
    I run maybe twice a week I think it may not be consistent enough and that my body just may not be used to running yet. I am about 25 lbs overweight so maybe that is playing a role in it as well.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    I have a running high for 10 secs maybe once in 1 week, dedicating 12 hours per week to running, so don't worry at all

you have plenty of time for the 5k, just be consistent and maybe run 3x week
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I run maybe twice a week I think it may not be consistent enough and that my body just may not be used to running yet. I am about 25 lbs overweight so maybe that is playing a role in it as well.

A lot will depend on what other training you do, and probably how significant your deficit is.

I know when I was losing quite aggressively I felt like cr@p a ot of the time as I just wasn't eating enough.
  • shaynataggart
    shaynataggart Posts: 71 Member
    Are there any foods you guys would recommend before a run?
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    "runners high" can be a rare thing.

Not true. Normally once you push through your fatigue, you'll experience this. Most beginner runners won't if that's what you meant.

OP why are you taking that long to trai for a 5k? I suggest you stop paying attention to distance and just allow your body to do what it can do naturally. That and work on your form
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    lmaharidge wrote: »

Not true. Normally once you push through your fatigue, you'll experience this. Most beginner runners won't if that's what you meant.

OP why are you taking that long to trai for a 5k? I suggest you stop paying attention to distance and just allow your body to do what it can do naturally. That and work on your form

I suspect that poster knows a thing or two about pushing through fatigue. Just a hunch.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    I suspect that poster knows a thing or two about pushing through fatigue. Just a hunch.

Possibly, maybe, perhaps.

I've never really had what I would define as an euphoric high while running. It's always work.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member

lol. She might. I believe a reasonable C25K program will take you about 8-10 weeks not 8 months - look into one or consider increasing frequency to 3x per week or listen to the advice of runners like TMRF.

• PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    You might be surprised by how much easier it is to perform during a run if you incorporate strength training for your legs. Squats, lunges, presses, calf raises, and core workouts (for posture) are important.
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Running is very cumulative. You need to be consistent over a period of time and the longer you are consistent your gains compound. You will reach a point where you feel strong on your runs and start pushing your limits more and more. Strength training will help.
  • Jayblue27
    Jayblue27 Posts: 11 Member
    I'm looking for misfit friends
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member

lol. Maybe its all 'runners high' after mile 100?

But really, be consistent and patient. 3x a week, just focus on slow, easy, consistent running right now. You should make it to 5k in three months max (and most likely less)
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member

lol. Maybe its all 'runners high' after mile 100?

But really, be consistent and patient. 3x a week, just focus on slow, easy, consistent running right now. You should make it to 5k in three months max (and most likely less)
    ^^^^^ Yep, up it to 3x a week hunni
    Euphoria and highs didn't happen til I upped my mileage, but generally running just cheers me up no matter what the mileage. Keep at it, you'll be surprised have quickly you can achieve 5k

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Runner's high is pretty uncommon, and probably isn't going to happen during 5k training. Don't worry if you aren't feeling it. Most of us don't.

If you are feeling fatigued after running it's probably because you're new to it or because even not "too heavily or too fast" is too fast. Make sure you can speak in more or less complete sentences while you're running; if you can't, it's too speedy.

Also: Are you following any kind of plan? It sounds like Couch to 5k would be a great option for you. And following a structured plan, it won't take you 8 months to train for a 5k.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i think it's normal to be tired after working out, isnt it?

I would second a structured program like a couch to 5k(c25k). I started with it, moved on to b210, and now am working with a half marathon program. c25k gave me a great base. and there is a good group here for it
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    When I do get a "runner's high" it isn't until I've been running for 4.5 to 5 miles. Never got one at a 5k or less.

I do get an endorphin rush after I'm done running on a regular basis.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    I normally feel fatigued after a moderate run

You should do. Your training seems to be at an appropriate level.

Keep going.

As for runners high I only seem to experience it when the intensity of the run is low and I have out for at least 40-50 minutes and even that's not a given.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2015
    I do a long run (10 miles) once a week on Saturday's.. I always feel that I have more in the tank and I feel more energized at the end of this run. I told my husband this past Saturday that I had more... He said really?

I also weight train my legs during the week. So strength training is huge for me to be able to do these long runs.

It did not happen over night. I have been running since March, and just started the long runs about 6 weeks ago, but all of my runs (5-6 miles each) give me the energy that lasts all day, without it, I would be a total slug during the day..