Any dancers around here?

I've danced ever since I was 3 years old. Modern, lyrical, jazz, broadway but mostly ballet and show. Does anyone else dance? Aand is there a way I could know how much kcals I burn each dance lesson?

Replies

• hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    I danced in high school! Ballet jazz and tap. Now that I'm to old and fat for ballet I started taking pole dance and I love it as it's very upper body oriented. I love working legs at the gym, upper body not so much so it's a good mix for me. I'd look around for calorie burn but a lot of that will vary on intensity. I'm not sure how your classes are oriented by in my Dance classes in high school it was more burst type working out than consistent full out effort for the whole time if that makes sense. If you take the classes nearly daily like I did, you can try to account for them in your activity level which might work better then on days you don't go just a eat a bit less.
  • PihlaLV
    PihlaLV Posts: 11 Member
    Cool! Well I'm at a competition level ( though I haven't competed in a year) so whenever I dance I try my hardest. The problem is that my dance classes last for 90 minutes: 20min warm-up, 30 min muscles and the rest is either vigorous or kind of slow pase choreography and I can't be bothered to always log three or four different workouts.. So it's hard for me to get an estemate for the kcals I burn.. (Sorry for my bad grammar! I'm not a native english speaker!!)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I'm a part time ballet teacher. I teach about 5 hours a week. I'm still playing with how much I burn when I teach and so far 150 calories an hour seems to be about right. But that's only teaching. When I do a hip hop class my HRM says I burn about 500 calories in an hour.
  • PihlaLV
    I'm a part time ballet teacher. I teach about 5 hours a week. I'm still playing with how much I burn when I teach and so far 150 calories an hour seems to be about right. But that's only teaching. When I do a hip hop class my HRM says I burn about 500 calories in an hour.

Okay, good to know, thanks!
  • PihlaLV
    hekla90 wrote: »
    I danced in high school! Ballet jazz and tap. Now that I'm to old and fat for ballet I started taking pole dance and I love it as it's very upper body oriented. I love working legs at the gym, upper body not so much so it's a good mix for me. I'd look around for calorie burn but a lot of that will vary on intensity. I'm not sure how your classes are oriented by in my Dance classes in high school it was more burst type working out than consistent full out effort for the whole time if that makes sense. If you take the classes nearly daily like I did, you can try to account for them in your activity level which might work better then on days you don't go just a eat a bit less.

Cool! Well I'm at a competition level ( though I haven't competed in a year) so whenever I dance I try my hardest. The problem is that my dance classes last for 90 minutes: 20min warm-up, 30 min muscles and the rest is either vigorous or kind of slow pase choreography and I can't be bothered to always log three or four different workouts.. So it's hard for me to get an estemate for the kcals I burn.. (Sorry for my bad grammar! I'm not a native english speaker!!)
  • hekla90
    edited October 2015
    PihlaLV wrote: »

In that case like I said I would account for it in your activity level and put yourself as either active or very active which will account for the extra calories you burn without you having to log work outs. (Assuming you dance most days anyways). After a couple weeks you should be able to gauge if you need to eat more or less to do what you want. You could wear a heart rate monitor though.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Professional bellydancer here. I take 10-15 hrs of class a week.

I don't really log my dance workouts- I use TDEE- and track them to track them but only log 1 calorie burned.
    works pretty well for me.
  • Pole instructor here!!! I always am looking for other polers as well!!!
  • hekla90
    Pole instructor here!!! I always am looking for other polers as well!!!

What do you recommend for weight lifting in regards to upper body and pole? I usually just so compound lifts but I know strong shoulders in particular are important as I advance!
  • Sabrinarose8
    Sabrinarose8 Posts: 26 Member
    I have been learning bellydancing for a few years, I have mostly done tribal fusion but I have also been working on Egyptian and more traditional styles lately. I use the MFP estimates but I may only eat back half of the calories. I am thinking of getting a fitbit hr charge which would use my heart rate to estimate calorie burn. has anyone tried this before?
  • hekla90 wrote: »

What do you recommend for weight lifting in regards to upper body and pole? I usually just so compound lifts but I know strong shoulders in particular are important as I advance!

I don't usually do anything other than pole... The spins and the climbing will get you strong enough to start inverting and the rest takes care of itself from there... Not many people in pole cross train with traditional workouts they usually cross train on other apparatuses like silks or Lyra
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    I'm glad there is a thread for dancers. I've recently started getting more serious about dance and I'm having a hard time finding friends on here who dance seriously (technique and performance oriented, not zumba/jazzercise/fit dance). I'm starting pole dance and I currently do hip hop cabaret, fire hooping, and tribal belly dance. I usually don't log my warmups and cool downs. If my dance class is an hour and a half, I tend to get 45 min minimum of uninterrupted drills or practice, so that's all I log.
  • hekla90

I don't usually do anything other than pole... The spins and the climbing will get you strong enough to start inverting and the rest takes care of itself from there... Not many people in pole cross train with traditional workouts they usually cross train on other apparatuses like silks or Lyra

We do have silks at our studio too! Yep it's pretty much the only upper body workout I do! (And lifting patients at work which I count lol they can be heavy!) Just didn't want to be missing something ;)
  • flossyruby1
    flossyruby1 Posts: 337 Member
    I take a 75 min ballet class twice a week and practice on my own twice a week with an hour private lesson thrown in every other month. I'm so glad there's a forum for people who take dance seriously. If I hear one more person tell me ballet is such good exercise, I'm going to punch them in the throat (albeit with perfect turnout and pointed toes). For me, it's so much more than that. The fact I leave dripping wet and breathing hard is just gravy.
  • emmgetsfit
    emmgetsfit Posts: 203 Member
    This thread seems to be geared more towards lyric, solo dancing, and I've done pole class in the past (it was fun, not sure why I stopped going) but I partner dance. Mostly Lindy Hop, East Coast Swing, and West Coast Swing but I've been known to toss in some Latin dancing as well. I take 3-1 hour long WCS classes once a week and Lindy at a local bar for 4 hours once a week, but other than that the dancing in town is slim pickings.