Gestational Diabetes

Options
Hello :) I used this app before pregnancy but havent really been since. I am now 26 weeks and was just diagnosed with gestational diabetes and I plan to use MFP to keep track of my carbs and sugar intake. I Just got the call today letting me know I do have GD and will be getting a call from the diabetes/nutrition team to set up an apt to meet with them and go over a plan and to get my equipment to test my blood sugar after meals daily at home. I have spent all day on google trying to learn what I can untill I met with them. I asked my OB a few questions when she called but she didnt really say much besides eat less sugar/carbs and walk at least 30 min a day. I just wanted to post here and see if anyone had any tips or meal and snack ideas? If you have had this before please feel free to share your experence with me and what worked well for you, I know everyone is different so untill I figure out what works well for me I would like to get some ideas from others on where to start :) Thanks in advance and please no rude comments, NO I am not counting calories durring pregnancy I am just using MFP to record what i eat to keep track of my carb and sugar intake and keep it at a healthy level for gestational diabetes. All that matters is a healthy baby and pregnancy. :)

Replies

• Speckle38
    Speckle38 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had gestational diabetes in one of my 3 pregnancies, and I managed it with diet alone as I had other complications that meant I was under doctors orders to also keep my activity levels low. The most important thing to remember is gestational diabetes is not caused by diet. It is caused by hormonal changes of pregnancy, and it goes away within days of giving birth.

The diabetic dietician gave me some useful information. One key point was to eat small meals often and to eat carbs with every meal, but to make sure they were low GI. I have some easy information that I can send to you by email if you like.
  • jessica182517
    jessica182517 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Thanks! And yes that would be great could you send me a PM?
  • anniesgolden
    anniesgolden Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your pregnancy! It's very worrisome to get that call and minimal information - I was so worried when I was first diagnosed. (The third time, I recognized the signs and called the OB before they even ordered the test!) The important thing is to control it before it affects the baby, and you're right on schedule, so no worries!

Speckle already mentioned the dietician (BIG help!) and the smaller more frequent meals help to even out your bg. The testing is annoying but not difficult. If your fingers are sensitive, they toughen up, and if they don't, there are different lancets and different test sites you can try. As you get it under control, you may be able to reduce testing - I got down to one fasting (before breakfast) and one post-prandial every other day, but I'd had a lot of experience at it by that point.

My babies were induced two weeks early because of "large size", which is the most common effect of the GD. They were 8 pounds at 38 weeks, which is actually a small baby in my family of 10-pounders, so there is definitely an abundance of caution! They each had wonky bg for a day before their numbers evened out. My bg went back to normal within 1-2 days each time. My kids are now in college, no lingering effects on them or me.

You can do this! It will be over in 12-14 weeks, with both of you healthy, and this will be a distant memory. Feel free to friend me or PM me. Whatever support you need, we're here.
  • Speckle38
    Speckle38 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Actually, the above post reminds me - I was scheduled for induction at 38 weeks, but didn't make it that far. I only gained 20lb during the pregnancy, and the baby was born just before 37 weeks, weighing 3kg (~7lb), so was probably on a par with the full-term sizes of my other two babies, who were both born overdue.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Hello :) I used this app before pregnancy but havent really been since. I am now 26 weeks and was just diagnosed with gestational diabetes and I plan to use MFP to keep track of my carbs and sugar intake. I Just got the call today letting me know I do have GD and will be getting a call from the diabetes/nutrition team to set up an apt to meet with them and go over a plan and to get my equipment to test my blood sugar after meals daily at home. I have spent all day on google trying to learn what I can untill I met with them. I asked my OB a few questions when she called but she didnt really say much besides eat less sugar/carbs and walk at least 30 min a day. I just wanted to post here and see if anyone had any tips or meal and snack ideas? If you have had this before please feel free to share your experence with me and what worked well for you, I know everyone is different so untill I figure out what works well for me I would like to get some ideas from others on where to start :) Thanks in advance and please no rude comments, NO I am not counting calories durring pregnancy I am just using MFP to record what i eat to keep track of my carb and sugar intake and keep it at a healthy level for gestational diabetes. All that matters is a healthy baby and pregnancy. :)

I had GD with 3 kids. The basic idea is that you need to space carbs throughout the day and that you also need to monitor calories so you do not gain too much weight, as this will make things worse.
    Avoid sugar, sweet treats, soda, juice, alcoholic drinks.
    Base your meals around protein and vegetables, with a small amount of carbs. This can be e.g. a small bowl of rice or pasta or potatoes or a slice of bread per meal, but not all these at the same time. If the basic meal is beans, lentils etc, then skip additional carbs completely.
    So for example you can have steak with potatoes and salad, or an omelette with a slice of bread and some extra greens, or a small serving of pasta with meatballs, or grilled fish with steamed vegetables etc.
    Do not avoid fruit, but eat them one at a time. So, one serving of fruit plus some milk or yoghurt or cheese are excellent snacks.
    You can get ideas about meal plans and serving sizes of carbs here: http://diabetes.org/

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I don't have GD but I do have prediabetes. I am able to control it with a low carb high fat diet. When carbs are cut the calories need to be replaced and protein is the best thing to use, unless you are low in protein at the moment.

Carbs are not an essential macro nutrient, but I woul not cut the as low as some of us do since I have no idea how ketosis, very low carb, would affect the baby. I would aim to keep carbs as your smallest macro though. 20-30% possibly.

Sticking to low carb foods will help. Lots of veggies with limited root veggies. Greens are great. Limit fruit. Berries tend to have the lowest sugar. Foods made with grains and flours are high carb foods. Restrict or limit baed goods, rice, corn, etc. I would skip sugary foods (pop, candy), junk food, and sugar added foods as much as possible.

Dr bernstein's Diabetes Solution is a good book to read about normalizing BG, but his deals may be lower carb than your doctor wants.

Just three more months? :) Best wishes. I hope you are healthy and able to enjoy them.
  • LilyinMO
    LilyinMO Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    HI Ladies, I am pregnant, 17 weeks and do not have gestational diabetes, but I'm going to try to eat a lot healthier than what I have (as I'm overweight) :( do any of you know what the % should be for carbs, fat and protein? I'm trying to set my goals! :) and congrats to all!!!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    LilyinMO wrote: »
    HI Ladies, I am pregnant, 17 weeks and do not have gestational diabetes, but I'm going to try to eat a lot healthier than what I have (as I'm overweight) :( do any of you know what the % should be for carbs, fat and protein? I'm trying to set my goals! :) and congrats to all!!!
    @LilyinMO
    Ask your OB for a referral to a dietitian. They will be able to tell you what is appropriate for you. I wasn't given percentages, but a certain carb count for each meal.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options

I followed a very, very strict GD under care and supervision of my perinatologist. He outlined the diet and then reviewed findings and made adjustments for me.
    It was super strict, so your experience may be different.

The things I remember:

1) learn what a diabetic portion is (tiny) like half an apple, half an English muffin
    2) eat every couple of hours, if indicated
    3) don't ever skip your evening snack, if you are prescribed one. Even if you really don't feel like it. Evening snacks will help your fasting numbers
    4) log everything you eat (my perinatologist required a written log) and your readings.
    5) As your doctor whether you can take a walk after dinner (I was NOT cleared to walk bc of other issues, but evidently it makes a big difference in your insulin levels)
    6) per your dr., or nutritionist instructions: always pair your complex carb with protein.
    7) Go to www.diabetes.org/ for general information (it can be overwhelming at first)
    8) if your diet makes your feel poorly, and/or if you test positive for ketones at home, call your doctor for adjustments to your diet.

I was able to control my GD through diet alone, my baby was born with no complications at all, and the condition resolved shortly after birth for me. It was hard mentally, but worth it.

Best of luck :)