ETL GBOMBS October

Replies

• tdh1991
    tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
    Hi Lia: glad to hear from you. thanks for the compliment. Now that the sugar has been out of my body since early September, I find myself craving free. What freedom. Dr. fuhrman's advice really does work. It is really hard in the beginning but I just remind myself that ingesting sugar is ingesting poison. I am starting to feel better but still having joint pain.

I have decided to try the nutritional approach first then the meds if it does not help. I have read that it takes 3 to 6 months of a strict diet to recover. The next thing I am going to try is water fasting for a few days. My husband is traveling a lot next month and I thought it would be a good time to do a 2-3 day water fast. Also, the prednisone will be out of my body by then.

My parents live in Boynton Beach Florida and before that my grandmother lived here and in Boca Raton, FL. I have been visiting this area since I was 7, Is like my second home. Some day I plan on moving here.
  • whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    Hi all, I've been MIA too... Everyone is so busy!!

Between my guitar lessons, my daughter's flyer route and the kids' other activities, it feels like we never sit down and relax. I haven't been able to get all the meal prep done that I've wanted to. I've done some, but not enough...

I have another 60 day meal plan from the nutritionist, so now I have 3 of them, and a 21 day raw food cleanse and an 18 day salad challenge, and a 7 day smoothie challenge. Now if I could just put it all together, I'd be laughing all the way to the scale....!!

I plan to start the meal plans and challenges THIS WEEK. Hopefully tomorrow - which means that I have to do some prepping and planning TONIGHT.

My hubby told me to set a goal and then if I meet it he'll take me to Vegas in March for a shopping trip. So I set a crazy goal to lose 35 lbs by January 1st. Yikes! Gotta get started if I ever hope to achieve that!!!
  • tdh1991
    Vegas sounds like fun. Good luck Karrie and happy vegetable eating!
  • tdh1991
    It was back to the grind yesterday. Amazing how 1 day of work can make you tired.

Still on a roll. This time around I am eating more food and losing weight more slowly. This last 1 lb took 10 days to loose. That is ok since this is how I am going to eat from now on. Also, I am giving up coffee. This will be day 2 of no coffee. I was a little headachey yesterday but not too bad. I am switching to herbal tea naturally with no caffeine.

I made a appointment at Dr. Fuhrmans office to see Dr. Benson his associate. I will see him on December 11. I figure if I am going to try the dietary approach first I should see the doctors whose advice I am following. I will try the dietary approach for 6 months or so then if no relief I will go back to the regular doctor and start the meds.

Work today, tomorrow and Saturday. Friday night my daughter is playing with her college orchestra. So, we will go to that. Afterwards they are having a big gala to celebrate the opening of the remolded orchestra hall. Saturday, is gonna be a bit rough. Her college is 3 hours away and I need to be to work for 9 am.

Where is everyone so quiet

• liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Hello!

Woohoo, I've got three sugar-free days under my belt!! I am super proud of myself and feel a little better already, even if it is just mental. It makes me realize how frequently I reach for junk without thinking.

Terri, thanks for the advice. That is the ultimate goal - being able to have much fewer cravings! I think it is just replacing it with good things. I'm leaning on fruit and veg. I am feeling so uncomfortable in my pants that I am hoping that it is finally just clicking!! My husband is on board which makes things much easier.

Terri, I'm so impressed with your resilience. I am interested in your experiment. It makes fuhrman extra appealing and gives you extra motivation to stick to it when you are trying to heal your body. Interested in hearing how the doc appt goes! Good luck to your daughter and her orchestra; that is really exciting. I love live classical music.

This weekend is the first weekend in the last two months almost that we have been at home!! I'm so excited to get some annoying things completed and done. And to meal prep and hopefully exercise too!

Karrie, awesome about your husband's promise!! Wooooo! Vegas is good motivation. Nice to hear from you too! Did you get some meal prep completed??
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    liapr wrote: »

Today is Day 1 of my no-sugar escapade #475.

I have another 60 day meal plan from the nutritionist, so now I have 3 of them, and a 21 day raw food cleanse and an 18 day salad challenge, and a 7 day smoothie challenge.

I haven't logged in, in like.... forever... so, I just started by reading the Oct thread. Seems like everyone is doing well, everyone has a plan. Or multiple plans, as it were. :huh:

I am pretty much on the no-plan plan. I got rEdiculously addicted to the freakin' nicorette gum again.... and as I was about to run out of a box, I realized it was really time to give it up. But, it wasn't a good time for the anger issues that accompany the withrdawl.... so, I bought Nicorette spray, to alleviate the withdrawl symptoms from the gum. While this is really quite sad and pathetic.... it actually seems like quite a good system. I am able to cut down on the number of 'sprays' per day, pretty quickly... and have avoided the moodiness of the withdrawl.

After that, I guess it'll be time to try to kick the Diet Dr Pepper, again. There's no real 'substitution' for that one. Possibly some moodiness from the caffeine withdrawl, and I had some joint pain last time as well.

Then, maybe, just maybe.... I'll do something about my !@#$%&? diet.

whatamaroon.jpg

• liapr
    sloth3toes wrote: »

Then, maybe, just maybe.... I'll do something about my !@#$%&? diet.

At least for me, this is really what this club/group is about, lol.
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,891 Member
    Hi All, so sorry I haven't been around. Work is just crazy and I'm feeling anti-social even in my real life. Staying fairly steady with food, a few too many trips to the snack cabinet at the office and those dreaded pretzels, but I'm getting better about it. I took in baby carrots and grape tomatoes to snack on instead and they are a good diversion.

Then I had a flu shot Wednesday after work and had a bad reaction to it later than night. Was up all night shivering and shaking, had to stay home yesterday was achy and had a horrible headache, kept getting dizzy and would have to hit the couch again. I was telling everyone well this figures, my first sick day of the year and it's because I got a shot to stay well!
  • whats_her_name
    Sorry you had a bad reaction, Mihani, that sucks... I was sick Friday too. I had a 6-day headache and Friday was just too much for me. I didn't want to suffer through another day of looking at the computer screen all day with a headache.

7ja6foyqo1ld.jpg

And sloth, I think we all understand where you're coming from. And we're in the same boat. Our focus waxes and wanes. Stupid real life, getting in the way...

Yesterday I made the edamame noodle bowl again - a double batch - put a few in the freezer. Made the OSG tortilla soup and put a few in the freezer there too. Haven't figured out what I'm making tonight, but I'm going to do 2 recipes and load up that freezer some more!! I think the OSG Chana Masala (already ate all my stockpile of that one) and maybe the african peanut stew? Yup, I think I have all the ingredients for both of those tonight...

I had a smoothie breakfast and I'm having a noodle bowl lunch and a tortilla soup supper. :smiley: Off to a good start.

I don't know why I'm dragging my heels on these meal plans - I think it's because the recipes are untested? I dunno.... But I will have to get goin' with it already!! At least I'm off to a healthier start. Loading up the freezer is always a good thing!
  • Mihani
    Karrie, did you share the recipe for the noodle bowl? That sounds right up my alley. I have a few containers of tortilla soup left in my freezer, but my stash is very low. I've been eating a lot of soup lately no time to cook.

Lia, that is awesome on the no sugar streak. Hope you're still keeping it up.

Terri, that is cool you are going to see Dr. Fuhrman's associate. I'll be interested in how that goes.

Hiya Sloth :huh:

Hey Sabine, I've been eating more nuts and seeds lately. They really make me feel more satisfied when I add them to oatmeal or salad.

Did pretty well today after a weekend of weird eating. Not too bad on the weekend, mostly ETL with the addition of quite a bit of popcorn and a fair number of twizzlers. Somehow I managed to lose 3 pounds over the past week which is astounding. I'm happy about it. Going to keep on moseying along my ETLish road for the next couple weeks and see what happens. I'm also a full week no cigs and feel like I've finally got it. I had several false starts but this time it felt different and I have had no desire to smoke. I'm not complacent, I know it's always precarious, but I feel good about it right now.

Going to try really hard to keep checking in here daily this week even though I'm continuing with 12 hour days at work. I was in there about 16 hours over the weekend. But I've missed the support and I'm always more focused on eating right when I'm hanging out with you all.
  • tdh1991
    HI All,

Glad to see everyone again. It has been so quite on the thread.

Lia: how goes the no sugar? It's a battle for about 6 weeks. Funny, I struggled yesterday with candy cravings but made a fuhrman desert instead. I guess with Halloween near this week will be tought.

Mahini: Congrats on the wieght loss. Glad you are feeling better. Still think you are nuts to work so much. I do not know how you do it.

Sloth: when you are ready you will start. But one day your body will probably tell you to start.

Mada a fantastic meal last night. Sloppy James, steamed green beans and fall salad. Will definitely make this meal again. Work all week tues-sat but having a dinner party on Halloween.

Sloppy James
    James Rohrbacher

Serves: 6

Ingredients:
    1 cup uncooked green or French lentils, rinsed and drained
    3 cups no-salt-added or low-sodium vegetable broth
    8 ounces tempeh with flax seeds (see note), steamed for 10 minutes (i have tvp may use that)
    1 medium yellow onion, diced small
    1 green bell pepper, diced small
    8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
    8 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons red wine
    3 tablespoons chili powder
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    pinch of cayenne
    2 teaspoons oregano
    1 large bunch kale, stems removed and leaves finely chopped
    15 ounces no-salt-added tomato sauce in BPA-free packaging
    1/2 cup no-salt-added tomato paste in BPA-free packaging
    3 tablespoons date paste (dates pureed in water)
    2 tablespoons low sodium yellow mustard
    6 100% whole grain sesame seed buns (Ezekiel brand)
    shredded or whole leaf romaine

Instructions:
    Put the lentils in a small sauce pan with the 3 cups of stock. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until lentils are soft. Set aside.

In a large pan, saute the onion, green pepper, mushrooms and garlic in the red wine for about 7-10 minutes, until onions are translucent and slightly browned. Add the spices and saute a minute more. Add the kale, tomato sauce, tomato paste and simmer until the greens are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the cooked lentils, crumble in the tempeh and stir in the date paste and yellow mustard. Cook for another 10 minutes.

Turn the heat off and let sit for about 10 minutes, so that the flavors can mingle. Serve open-faced on toasted or untoasted buns and top with shredded romaine or whole leaf romaine.

Note: Several brands of tempeh have flax seed in them. If you cannot find one, use regular tempeh and add 2 tablespoons ground flax to the Sloppy James mixture.
    Per Serving:
    CALORIES 395; PROTEIN 23g; CARBOHYDRATES 63g; TOTAL FAT 7.3g; SATURATED FAT 1.2g; CHOLESTEROL 1.4mg; SODIUM 348mg; FIBER 18g; BETA-CAROTENE 4597ug; VITAMIN C 52mg; CALCIUM 187mg; IRON 8mg; FOLATE 204ug; MAGNESIUM 117mg; ZINC 3mg; SELENIUM 16.9ug
  • whats_her_name
    I don't have the recipe on me here right now, but it's in the OSG cookbook. It's the peanut sauce version (peanut butter, lime juice, ginger, garlic, etc) and it's got the edamame in the recipe (noodles, edamame, carrots, red pepper, green onions, cucumbers). It's delicious!

Last night I made a chickpea stew - stocked up the freezer a bit more. Tonight I can't cook, but tomorrow I'm going to make some chana masala and something else still TBD...

Today's meals are smoothie bfast, tortilla soup lunch and for supper I'm going to have some salad and some chickpea stew. Yum! I case I haven't shared that recipe already here it is:

Moroccan Stew
    2 tsp olive oil
    1 cup chopped onions
    ½ cup diced celery
    ½ cup chopped green pepper
    1 clove garlic, minced
    3 cups vegetable broth
    3 cups peeled, cubed sweet potato
    1 can (19oz) diced tomatoes
    1 can (19oz) chickpeas, drained & rinsed (or cook your own)
    1 tsp lemon juice
    2 tsp grated ginger root
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp curry
    1 tsp coriander
    1 tsp chilli powder
    ½ tsp salt
    ½ tsp ground black pepper
    2 tbsp peanut butter (I used crunchy)
    2 tbsp chopped cilantro

Heat olive oil on medium-high. Add onions, celery, green pepper & garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes.
    Add remaining ingredients except the last 2 (peanut butter & cilantro), and bring to a boil.
    Cover and reduce heat to medium-low; simmer for 20 minutes.
    Stir in last 2 ingredients. Mix well and simmer for 5 more minutes. Enjoy!
  • liapr
    Hi Karrie! Is the noodle bowl the OSG? I have never made that one actually. I abandoned my meal plans FOR oh she glows actually! Last week I made 4 recipes from the meal plans and couldn't finish any of them - I reallyyy didn't like them. I was so happy to get back to some oh she glows reliable yummy recipes! lol.

Mihani, that sounds awful! How are you living?! How is your boss living?! I wish we could all chip in and hire you an assistant... Great job on the no cigs though, that is huge!! Woohoo!! Sounds like you're doing well.

I am back on the sugar! What is wrong with me?! I can't stick to anything for longer than 5 days. I keep trying to go back to intuitive eating because I think it might be the only way for me to become a normal eater again. I am making improvements though they are slow. I got back to exercise yesterday for the first time in a longggg time and it felt awesome though!

Hope you guys are having a great Tuesday :)
  • Mihani
    Thanks for all the great recipes! Terri, the sloppy joes sound great. Glad you beat your candy cravings.

Karrie, I’ve had my eye on that noodle bowl, don’t know why I didn’t connect the two. I will be trying that very soon. I’m starting to want those warm spicy comfort dishes with the weather getting cold.

Lia, that sugar is hard to kick! It takes me a full week without sugar and starches to stop craving. Getting through that first week is hard though. Sorry you didn’t like the meal plans. I am not a big fan of HH recipes either. The first cookbook was helpful for me when I first went vegan just to get some ideas for what I could throw together, but so many recipes were meh. OSG has become my go to cookbook, but I also use the ones I have by Dreena Burton, Robin Robertson, Isa, and Nava Atlas quite a bit.

Had a pretty good day today. Didn’t get time for lunch until around 3:00 though so I had some popcorn mid-day while I worked. I feel good though, my energy levels are up and I need all the energy I can get!
  • tdh1991
    Hi all,

Late start at work today which gave me time to work on all the govenmental regulatory compliance stuff. What a waste of time.

Still going strong I want to have a perfect diet until I see Dr. Benson on December 11. I am not sure how to gage weather this diet is working or not. My blood work was perfect so I cannot use that as a guage. Maybe, it is pain, flare, and swelling. I guess i will find out soon.

Karrie; thanks for the recipe i will give that one a try soon.

Lia: don't beat yourself up about it. It took me a major illness to get myself motivated to quit the sugar. Sugar is so addicting :(.

Mahini: glad you aer feeling better. Hope you get the weekend off.

One correction to the Sloppy James recipe: i use TVP (texaturized Vegetable Protein instead) I thought that would be more like ground meat. I have never had temeph but I thout TVP would work better and it did.

Off to work this afternoon. working thru Saturday.

tomorrow I have to make few things for the dinner pary on Saturday. Should be fun.
  • Mihani
    Terri, I really like tempeh. I usually slice it, marinate, then grill or bake. Really good for fajitas.

Good day, left an hour early to get a few things done since our secretary is off the next two days so I'll be stuck answering phones and all that fun stuff. Got my oil changed and ran to the grocery, so I'm all set until the weekend. I am not going to the office on Saturday so I have that to look forward to. I have some things that need attention around here and I need a break.
  • whats_her_name
    OK guys, I need opinions. I've had a headache every day since Oct 18th. Except one day. I had a headache-free day on the 25th... Right now I'm headache-free as well, but I will probably get one by the afternoon, if the last few days have taught me anything...

It may be coincidence, but the day BEFORE my headache-free day, I had a massage working on my neck, shoulders and arms.

OK, now that I'm typing that out, maybe it's not a coincidence. I think I need to book myself another massage...
  • whats_her_name
    Self-experiment: I booked another massage tonight for 1 hour. If I'm headache free tomorrow, I'll know it's a tension issue and I'll just keep booking more massages.

If that doesn't work, I'll be booking myself a Dr. appointment tomorrow instead...
  • Phoenix4me18
    Phoenix4me18 Posts: 133 Member
    Hi all. Finally getting back here. Life has been crazy nuts busy! I have been really happy with myself though I have been keeping things fairly balanced. My Statistics class started on 10/12 and I have to say, despite the fact that I didn't like statistics the first time around and was really worried about the class I am finding myself oddly calm. I haven't been freaking out about engraving every word in the text book to my brain, have been sticking to only doing 12 hours of work for the class each week and have not been over perfecting my homework either. Not entirely sure where all this came from, but, I am just going to sit back and enjoy.

One thing I wanted to be sure I didn't lose track of was the fact that my health is still my top priority. I have really done well at this. I have had to cut my workouts back to 3-4 days a week, but, have really been watching what I have been eating and I am continuing to lose. I even wore smaller pants today and enjoyed zipping my ankle boots up all the way. It has been awesome. I am hoping this trend continues. The biggest success so far has been the fact that each of my workouts involves a 5k jog. Never thought I would get back to being able to do that. It feels so good!

I have been starting to look into the process to get my CPA which has been nerve wracking. A lot of information to cover and a lot of decisions to make regarding the timing of getting through all this. Politics at work haven't helped and leave me feeling like I need to make getting my CPA more of a top priority during the first half of next year. I have been told this is ambitious, but, I am hoping I can make it happen.

I hope everyone is well. I am not even going to try and catch up at this point. Hopefully I am able to get back here a little more frequently.
  • Mihani
    edited October 2015
    Karrie, hope you are feeling better! Laura, sounds like you are doing great! Calm under pressure is always good.

Another pretty good day here other than another 11 hour day in the office. I can't wait for Saturday and not going near that place until Sunday!