How to not be tempted by my kids Halloween candy ???

please help any advice on how to avoid those bite sized treats ??? ( especially the chocolate kind

Replies

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Include a little in your daily eating plan and log appropriately.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    I was going to say tell your kids to hide/eat all the chocolate candy. The rest just isn't that tempting.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Willpower. Just don't eat it. Or if anything eat a couple and make it fill your calories for the day. Don't restrict yourself from everything, moderation is key! To avoid a candy binge though.....all about willpower.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Unfortunately, there's no substitute for willpower. If you want to abstain completely, you just have to do it. There's no secret.

I'm more of a include a little everyday type person, so I work a couple of pieces of candy into my day instead of my normal after dinner snack at this time of year.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    When you go to a party with an open bar, do you always get falling down drunk?

When you see a very attractive member of the opposite gender, do you always make inappropriate moves on that person?

When someone disagrees with you, do you violently oppose them, even if you want to?

Do you get up and go to work every day even though you really don't like your job?

When an office superior says something stupid, do you immediately and loudly correct that person?

OK. Will power ain't the problem. We can, and do, control many, many impulses. If you want to lose weight, you must control your caloric intake. ONLY EAT THE CANDY THAT YOU WILL FIT INTO YOUR CALORIC BUDGET!

Act like a responsible adult, you do on the rest of lifes decisions. This is one you have made.
  • ndeen
    ndeen Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks for the kick in the pants. I probably need it !!!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    I'll eat some. We're having a small party here for my kids and their friends and I have made lots of goodies. I did good and didn't eat but a tiny bit while making them (which I logged) but I plan to eat some of that, too, tomorrow. I'll be working hard next week but I don't worry about a day or even two.
  • QueenKristine77
    QueenKristine77 Posts: 67 Member
    Willpower. Just don't eat it. Or if anything eat a couple and make it fill your calories for the day. Don't restrict yourself from everything, moderation is key! To avoid a candy binge though.....all about willpower.

+1

• brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Well, my first question is do you have a plan for THEIR candy? Cause most kids end up with just insane amounts and certainly isnt wise to just let them have at it. Will you keep it put away and allow them to chose one or two per day for a little while? Thats always been the plan for families I nanny for. They'll get a couple extra ON Halloween but theres no way they consume it all. Maybe for a week, they get one or two a day and then it just disappears. Decorations go away when the candy does because the holiday is over.

I suggest you pick a plan for THEM that could also work for YOU! Work the candy into your daily calories. I would pick out which pieces you absolutely need (whatever you decide is appropriate. Most days i have 100 extra cals or so for a treat). Just record them into your diary, by planning ahead and recording the info you can ensure that your choices are at least not being made too impulsively. Personally I really want to go to moonstruck and pick out a cute truffle to enjoy for the holiday, and to make a little extra "room" for it I will be having plain tea instead of my usual two cups of coffee with cream!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    well if you pig out then you will not want any more... OR just find the strength,,, how hot do you want to be???, keep it out of sight,, then you cannot eat it..... eat their apples/
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    pondee629 wrote: »

When you see a very attractive member of the opposite gender, do you always make inappropriate moves on that person?

When someone disagrees with you, do you violently oppose them, even if you want to?

Do you get up and go to work every day even though you really don't like your job?

When an office superior says something stupid, do you immediately and loudly correct that person?

OK. Will power ain't the problem. We can, and do, control many, many impulses. If you want to lose weight, you must control your caloric intake. ONLY EAT THE CANDY THAT YOU WILL FIT INTO YOUR CALORIC BUDGET!

Act like a responsible adult, you do on the rest of lifes decisions. This is one you have made.

This is so very accurate--we so often act like we have no self-control when it comes to food but are able to use self-control in so many other life situations.

Reading this really helped me :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Include a little in your daily eating plan and log appropriately.

This^

I assume life after dieting will include chocolate bars too....

Sooner or later you will have to deal with it.
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    You could offer to buy it from them for $10 (or some dollar value they'll accept) and then get rid of it. I know some parents that do that.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    We put it in a big bowl on top of the fridge or cabinets. Then everybody (including my daughter) forgets about it and around Christmas time, when we are putting decorations out we find it and throw it all away.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member
    Good ideas and thoughts so far. Something else to address is realizing that we DON'T need to eat food simply because it is available. If this weekend weren't Halloween would you be eating a ton of candy? Probably not. So why this weekend? Sure, candy is one of the main ways Halloween is celebrated but we have the whole holiday season coming up. Set a bit out for family and guests and put the rest away to spread out over the next few months.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    you can't do away with or remove temptations...they will always be there in many facets of life . self control is a practiced thing.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    A lot of dentists have this thing where you can turn in your candy and they send it to troops overseas and pay you by the pound for it. http://www.halloweencandybuyback.com/ Now my kids are too little to understand and don't care about getting money. I plan to let them eat as much as they want on halloween and then I ration it. Their little tummies really can't hold that much
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I have good luck (sometimes) just telling myself that it belongs to someone else. It isn't mine to have.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    pondee629 wrote: »

I LOVE this. What an excellent way of looking at things.
  • 42firm03
    42firm03 Posts: 115 Member
    I have good luck (sometimes) just telling myself that it belongs to someone else. It isn't mine to have.

I do have luck with this method. I don't steal stuff, even from my kids ;)

I also do not take the candy away from
    my kids. I can't stand this, it's mean IMO since my self-control issues aren't their fault. Mine make a big ziplock of their haul and eat a bit for a few days and then like someone says previously they forget about it and we find it months later and toss it. I'm not the bad guy. Yay!