Greek yogurt ideas!

Hi. I bought a tub of Danon Light n Fit vanilla greek yogurt. Had 1 cup tonight with some fiber one sticks mixed in for added crunch. Was very good! Is it really that big of a difference to take the healthier route and get the plain greek yogurt? When comparing at store I believe mine has 5 less grams of fat compared to flavored. I could switch to plain, just curious your input.

Also, what do you guys do to spice up your greek yogurt?! Especially if you eat plain!

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Possible additions: chocolate power, cinnamon, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, sliced banana
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    PB2 is my favorite thing to add.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    I like to make a 'pudding' by stirring in chia seeds and then topping it with a fruit only jam.
    I also like it with granola on top.
    I like the whole milk Wallaby organic plain.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    I buy plain because it's more versatile, being able to use for sweet or savory dishes.
    Plain is a great sub for cream and sour cream in savory dishes, and as a base for salad dressing.
    I also prefer to sweeten and flavor my yogurt myself, with things like Nutella, pb, or ice cream (flavor options here are endless), etc, etc.
    I would feel very boxed in by vanilla yogurt. I could flavor plain yogurt to be vanilla myself if I'm really craving vanilla.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I like plain 0% Greek yogurt...bigger protein hit

And I eat it with fresh berries ..raspberries for fibre

Greek yogurt is amazing with honey swirled into it (there's a dish with yogurt, heavy cream and brown sugar that's an amazing pudding but really not calorie friendly)

Also with a crunchy cereal
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    As said above, I buy plain as you can adjust the flavor or use it to your liking! I literally use GY at every meal. Mixed into oats, over scrambled eggs, tuna salad, salad dressings, parfaits, protein pizza cookies, sweet potatoes/ normal potatoes, ranch dressing dip(mix-ins), mixed into a creamy soup.....etc the list could go on and on. I go through 3-4lbs of it a week lol. Definitely a staple in my diet!
  • hazelgirl11
    hazelgirl11 Posts: 3 Member
    I get the plain yogurt and add sugar free chocolate pudding mix.. I love it :smile:
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    I like plain 0% Greek yogurt...bigger protein hit

And I eat it with fresh berries ..raspberries for fibre
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    I sometimes eat plain with stuff mixed in, I usually buy full fat- it keeps me full longer, but I also buy the flavored cups because they are easy. If I'm super hungry I can grab one, and it's easy to throw into my lunchbox in the morning.

It's what works for you.
  • HostageCat
    HostageCat Posts: 469 Member
    i get the plain greek yogurt and then mix in berries or fruit
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    I like plain because of the versatility. I usually eat it plain, but sometimes I'll stir in some honey and top with a few marachino cherries if I'm looking for a treat. If I stir a little cocoa powder in, I can have chocolate yogurt. Plus, I use it in baking and cooking if I run out of sour cream. The ability to be able to control the sugar content of plain yogurt is a big plus for me too.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Thanks for all of your input! I am definitely gonna ditch the vanilla & get the nonfat plain and try your suggestions. I like the versatility and ability to add random whatevers to it.
  • TammyLML
    TammyLML Posts: 429 Member
    I have a sweet tooth, so I usually do vanilla for snacking, though I keep plain on hand for use in cooking. One of my favorite evening snacks is to mix vanilla greek yogurt with Trader Joe's Organic Granny Apple Granola, sometimes with half a fuji apple mixed in. Sweet & crunchy! :smiley:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I prefer Fage. Good protein count. I put in PB2, oreos, brownie mix sometimes, a fiber one or Glenny's 100 calorie brownie, protein powders. You name it.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    I use fage total 0 and add homemade apple butter or lingonberry jam.
  • nick21g
    nick21g Posts: 2 Member
    with greek yoghurt the fat level don't really matter, its the sugar under carbs that you want to watch for. as for a recipes, i like to mic a little banana protein powder with it! or honey and some granola!! both are nice :)
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Love greek yogurt plain or sometimes I buy favored. With plain greek yogurts i love to use cereal such as kashi or fiber one and loads of fresh fruit. it is delish so is cottage cheese with cereal and fresh fruit-
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    I add taco seasoning. Makes a fantastic dip.