Does Anyone Pay for MFP?

2»

Replies

• CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited November 2015
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Sure. I like having different goals on different days of the week, and really with the success I've had, I'm happy to support the developers who create and maintain the most useful tool I have to help me get healthy.

Same... I find myself adjusting my calories for lifting day versus non lifting days... and then it messes up my macros. Just not sure if it's worth the $10/month.

I was contemplating purchasing premium as I too want to have different calorie goals on different days! It seems a little pricey just to use for that alone though :( I haven't purchased so far!

Create a food entry, with the portion size of 1kcal. Then you can add or remove calories on the days you wish, and vary the amount of calories with a minus sign if you're adding them. As you can see, it doesn't change your calorie goal but it does change how many are remaining. I do this daily to make sure my weekly goal is met.

ETA This is the first week I've done it, so I'm hoping it all evens out by Sunday!

ami1gembnd8j.jpg
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    From my perspective, the premium does not add enough value to warrant the 49 for the year. HOWEVER, this tool has helped me so much, that it deserves my support 10x over!

So I paid for the year and feel good about it.

R
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    I am thinking about putting a MFP premium membership on my Christmas list. I want to be able to have different calorie goals for different days. No ads is a bonus too. The messy database and not being able to delete recent foods is what is stopping me from just doing it.

The cost is covered by what I am not spending at the grocery store or fast food.
  • QueenKristine77
    QueenKristine77 Posts: 67 Member
    nope, i like Free
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    MasterVal wrote: »
    I do - I paid for for MFP and other tracking apps I use. The premium features are nice and I use them, but my main reason for paying is to show my support to a company which has provided me with a tool that helped me to get in the best shape and health of my entire life. $59 per year is nothing compared to benefits I got from using this tool. Damn it, I spend more than that on coffee in one month.

Many, apparently, cant grasp the concept that nothing is free. No one wants to work for free - apps programmers including. They got to get paid somehow - either by our payments, or incorporating ads. I'd rather contribute as it is only fair.

there was a time I would have gladly paid for MFP and even said so a few times long before premium came into play. But after how things have gotten broken and continue to not be fixed...no. It's not worth it at all.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    No.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    MasterVal wrote: »
    I do - I paid for for MFP and other tracking apps I use. The premium features are nice and I use them, but my main reason for paying is to show my support to a company which has provided me with a tool that helped me to get in the best shape and health of my entire life. $59 per year is nothing compared to benefits I got from using this tool. Damn it, I spend more than that on coffee in one month.

Many, apparently, cant grasp the concept that nothing is free. No one wants to work for free - apps programmers including. They got to get paid somehow - either by our payments, or incorporating ads. I'd rather contribute as it is only fair.

there was a time I would have gladly paid for MFP and even said so a few times long before premium came into play. But after how things have gotten broken and continue to not be fixed...no. It's not worth it at all.

+1 Many moons ago before they "upgraded" all the features and switched to the Vanilla forum service.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    There are a ton, and I mean A TON of absolutely free calorie logging applications out there, and, to be frank, many of them are better designed, more fully featured and use more modern and more user-friendly tech than this one. There is 1 thing, and only 1 thing, that differentiates MFP from the crowd, and that is its active, engaged, and (sometimes) knowledgeable user community. That 1 thing is, for the moment, still worth using the application despite its many flaws, but that 1 thing has nothing to do with anything that the current management is providing. It has to do with the history and culture of the site. I've been waiting and watching to see if anyone on the management side notices this and makes some moves to recognize and capitalize on it. IF they do that, which will start by fixing support for user blogs, enabling better communication tools, supporting the sharing of real nutrition science and exercise science/kinesiology, and engaging directly with the people who use this site, THEN I would consider paying a fee to support it.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Actually I resent having to pay, considering the food database is unreliable and the forum software is 20 years out of date
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    I don't pay MFP because I wanted to track micros before they had that option and bought other software, but to me, it's totally worth paying for micro tracking. If you don't care about micros, though, I wouldn't bother. Tracking them means using the USDA entries and they can be harder to find or use than entering name brands.

A lot of people think that if you hit macros, you must be hitting micros, but it's just not true. If someone said it in this thread, I'm not disagreeing with them, specifically. I didn't read the responses. If you want to know how well-balanced your diet really is, it's a good thing to take a look at, IMO.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    I would be happy to pay if MFP showed an iota of willingness or ability to fix the constantly arising bugs in their system but every time they 'fix' something, they beak something else, and half the bugs which cropped up months ago remain unfixed.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Not even. Way too glitchy and doesn't have features I'd want to pay for plus I got results using the site for free, so why start paying now? Between Adblock Plus and Ghostery I've eliminated ads and other malarky that clutter the free version, for free. When/if that stops working I'll go to another free site; I have no loyalty to a website although I do like some of my virtual MFP friends.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    edited November 2015
    The ones feeling like they need to support MFP, you do realize they get paid for ad space? With the billions of users they have on here, I am sure they aren't suffering with their revenues.

I have considered paying for it as well in order to be able to adjust it for different days and different exercise routines. But I don't think there is enough features to make me pay for it, maybe if they added some more features that differentiate it from the regular MFP. There is also some issues with ease of use that need to be fixed up before it would be worth paying for it.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Nope not paying either

I just made my own program with a +11.000 database ( USDA and my own brought in entry's which i know they are 100% right) And everything in grams.

No adds as much columns records, names, macro's and micro's i want and more in my own system. So nope not going to pay because it doesn't offer for free what i want or when i pay.

95069916.png
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    I'd like it if I could pay a one-time, flat fee, say $5 or $10, to get rid of the ads on the app. I use Ad Blocker Plus on my computers, but the ads on the app are annoying.