How long before someone notices?!

I've lost 17 pounds and as yet, no one has noticed!!

I've got another 56 lbs until I'm at my goal and in a healthy weight range

It'd just be nice to hear someone say 'wow, have you lost weight?'

Replies

• KezJT
    KezJT Posts: 32 Member
    it depends where you carry your weight, but around 20lb is likely to be a dress size and also when (some) people start noticing, so you're nearly there:)
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    I started with about 130 pounds to lose and it took around 40 pounds before anybody started to notice that I had lost weight. It also helped that I had bought new clothes that fit me better and didn't hang off of me making me look bigger than what I was.

Congratulations on your 17 pound loss and keep on working towards your goal! Before too much longer people will start to notice. :)
  • Calmquiet
    Calmquiet Posts: 39 Member
    It took 43 pounds for the first person to make a comment on my weight loss and they asked how much I lost. I am now at 60 pounds lost and no one else but that 1 person has said anything. As nice as it might be to have someone notice you have to learn to do this on your own motivation, not others. Congrats on you current weight loss and good luck on your future goals!
  • JenniK614
    JenniK614 Posts: 22 Member
    People started mentioning my weight loss after about 30 pounds. Don't be discouraged. Some people will never mention it because they don't want to come across as rude. If you notice a difference, other people likely do too. :)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    I lost over 30 and no one noticed so don't feel bad! You'll feel better and that's really all that matters.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    They'll notice soon. They may have already noticed and decided not to say anything. My whole family didn't say word one as I gained or lost. Not a word. I mention how much I've lost and am congratulated or told I look wonderful, but that's it.

Lots of people will not make comments to someone about their body. In some circles, talking to someone about their body is considered rude unless you're their doctor or lover, lol.

But don't worry. If they haven't noticed yet, they will. And someone will say something, I promise!! :)
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Mine was at 15, but I also shaved my head at that point, which probably caused people I know to look a little closer.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    @Kalikel , YUP! This guy at work has literally reduced to half his size and all I can do is say WOW!!!! ....to someone else. I barely know him and wouldn't want to be rude/presumptuous, plus all the horror stories we've heard about complimenting people on weight loss, only to find they have some horrible disease. Geesh. The interwebs strike again
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    I hate hate hate when people try and talk about my weight, so even if I notice someone's weight loss I am probably not going to mention it unless I know they're actively working on weight loss and bring it up themselves in discussions. People probably have noticed your weight loss, but are waiting for an appropriate time to bring it up.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    @Kalikel , YUP! This guy at work has literally reduced to half his size and all I can do is say WOW!!!! ....to someone else. I barely know him and wouldn't want to be rude/presumptuous, plus all the horror stories we've heard about complimenting people on weight loss, only to find they have some horrible disease. Geesh. The interwebs strike again
    I was going to say that you could say, "Hey, Mike! You look great!" But if you don't know him well, he might think you're hitting on him, lol. You just never know how people will take stuff.

But as we can all swear, someone is going to tell the OP that they've noticed. You cannot drop sixty pounds and not have people noticing. It will happen. :)
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited November 2015
    Did you notice that you are losing weight? Is it more important of what you think of yourself than others do.
    I lose one size and no1 said a thing but I feel good about my compliment. I start to wear tighter clothes, walk straight, more confident and suddenly a few people asked me if I lose weight.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    At 28 lbs I got my first comment and at 30 lbs it was noticeable to everyone.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    plus all the horror stories we've heard about complimenting people on weight loss, only to find they have some horrible disease.

Ha! "OMG, do you have worms?! I'm sooOOOoo sorry!"

Anyways, Christinasoonmrsnewton, did you just lose 17 pounds? Good job! Way to go! You're dynamite. Like a shooting star, kid.

*wink*

*double-finger-guns*

<pow pow>
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    People are generally more likely NOT to say something even if they do notice, because they think that people who struggle with weight are generally more sensitive about it.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    It took about 40 pounds for people to notice without me saying I'm trying to lose weight.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Took around 27 before anyone but my immediate family noticed. And they even said I didn't look any different (around 15 pounds lost) but noticed when they hugged me. Two jeans sizes, 14 to 10, that's when people said something.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    I had dropped 15 kg (33 lbs) before anyone noticed. That one person noticed the day before I left on holiday.

When I returned 3 weeks later a lot of people were out on holiday and the office was practically empty for a couple weeks so no one saw me for about 5 weeks ... and when everyone returned, that's when they noticed. I think sometimes it take some time away for people to see a difference.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    I've lost almost 60 lbs. Most people I interact with have yet to notice. They saw "large" and I think they still see "large".
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    I had lost about 20 lbs when people started commenting. And I am short, so that is a lot for me.
    It was also around when I started replacing items in my wardrobe with smaller sizes, which I am sure contributed.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    I've lost 18 and my husband (unprompted) just today started to say he's noticing a difference. But I ASKED him to really look back when I started this. I told him how important it was to me for motivation that he look for changes and say something when he sees them (he's the stoic, silent type, he'd probably not say anything out loud on purpose if I hadn't talked to him early on). If you have someone in your life you can say this too, "Hey I'm losing weight and it would really help me keep my spirits up through it if you could do your best to say something if you see a difference okay?", I bet that would go a long way to make you feeling better. And anyone who really cares about you will gladly do it:)