How long before someone notices?!

2»

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    I've lost 18 and my husband (unprompted) just today started to say he's noticing a difference. But I ASKED him to really look back when I started this. I told him how important it was to me for motivation that he look for changes and say something when he sees them (he's the stoic, silent type, he'd probably not say anything out loud on purpose if I hadn't talked to him early on). If you have someone in your life you can say this too, "Hey I'm losing weight and it would really help me keep my spirits up through it if you could do your best to say something if you see a difference okay?", I bet that would go a long way to make you feeling better. And anyone who really cares about you will gladly do it:)

Heh. Hate to say it, but if I were told that, I'd just occasionally make things up to keep them happy
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I've lost 18 and my husband (unprompted) just today started to say he's noticing a difference. But I ASKED him to really look back when I started this. I told him how important it was to me for motivation that he look for changes and say something when he sees them (he's the stoic, silent type, he'd probably not say anything out loud on purpose if I hadn't talked to him early on). If you have someone in your life you can say this too, "Hey I'm losing weight and it would really help me keep my spirits up through it if you could do your best to say something if you see a difference okay?", I bet that would go a long way to make you feeling better. And anyone who really cares about you will gladly do it:)

Heh. Hate to say it, but if I were told that, I'd just occasionally make things up to keep them happy

I don't think you hate to say it at all. I married the WORST liar on the planet. Can't even lie to his parents about silly stuff (who can't lie to their parents? I thought this was like a milestone during adolescence we all just reached at some point). I'm not concerned:)
  • CoffeeNCardio

I don't think you hate to say it at all. I married the WORST liar on the planet. Can't even lie to his parents about silly stuff (who can't lie to their parents? I thought this was like a milestone during adolescence we all just reached at some point). I'm not concerned:)

I think I misinterpreted what you meant by hate to say it when I read the first time. please disregard, it's late here, my reading comprehension plummets after 9pm
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member

I think I misinterpreted what you meant by hate to say it when I read the first time. please disregard, it's late here, my reading comprehension plummets after 9pm

The late night must have calming effects on my brain. In context, I just figured you were joking / playing along :)
  • CoffeeNCardio

The late night must have calming effects on my brain. In context, I just figured you were joking / playing along :)

That's good:) It's definitely appreciated that you went to "joking" and not to the more realistic "Coffee, what on earth have you been smoking tonight?" ha ha! So thank you for that!
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    It's hard when you see someone every day, I live with my best friend who has lost quite a lot of weight over the year and seeing her day to day means I don't see the loss as much, as it's gradual, when I look back on photos through Facebook/Timehop I really see the difference (and I tell her then). Unless you are losing a lot of weight super quick, gradual changes take time for people to notice.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    I've lost 34 lbs.

Recently I saw someone whom I hadn't seen since I'd become 'smaller'. The last time I saw said person, I was quite overweight. They said nothing about my weight loss. A week later, I saw a different person whom I hadn't seen since I'd become 'smaller' - and they couldn't stop mentioning my weight loss.

I think this comes down to the person. Some people won't comment on it because it's generally impolite to point out things like this. As a rule, you generally DON'T comment on people's weight - or so I've been taught. It's not something people want to bring up unless you yourself bring it up.

Don't take it personally. Afterall, you are doing this for you and you alone :)
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    I lose weight from my face as soon as I start. So even at 5 lbs, people started noticing. But a lot of people started commenting after about 20 lbs.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    For me it was around 15lbs. It depends on the people you're around too. I have lots of sisters so I hear from my mum that they've been talking about it more to one another than to me personally.
  • sapphire1166
    sapphire1166 Posts: 114 Member
    I started at 235 lbs, and it wasn't until I was about 195 lbs that people (besides my husband) started commenting that they could see a difference. Hang in there!
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member

I can't lie to anyone, let alone my parents. The closest I come is with gifts, and I always caveat that.

@Christinasoonmrsnewton: Have you gotten new clothes that fit properly yet? People often don't notice even drastic changes if you are wearing baggy clothes. My student workers didn't notice until after they came back from summer break, and I had an entirely new wardrobe. One of them didn't recognize me at first. It was pretty funny.
  • CoffeeNCardio

I can't lie to anyone, let alone my parents. The closest I come is with gifts, and I always caveat that.

@Christinasoonmrsnewton: Have you gotten new clothes that fit properly yet? People often don't notice even drastic changes if you are wearing baggy clothes. My student workers didn't notice until after they came back from summer break, and I had an entirely new wardrobe. One of them didn't recognize me at first. It was pretty funny.

That's alright:) despite my inability to understand how it's possible (my family is dysfunctional, what can I say?), a man who cannot lie is a prize indeed.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    I've lose 18 lbs, and nothing yet. It would be nice to hear someone make a comment, but I am more excited to be able to see the changes for myself! :)
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    edited November 2015
    Toot your own horn!

Go into work/whereever with a big grin on your face and keep it there until someone asks ... hey, you look happy, what's up? Then say, oh I reached my goal of losing x pounds.

This let's your friends and coworkers know that you are fine with them saying well done you!

Because, yes, this is something worth celebrating!
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    I dont know how many pounds it was, but people that I have not seen in a few months are always shocked (in a good way) and they will say that they can tell I am losing weight. My mom and my sister have commented since the very beginning. I thought they were just being nice until I went clothes shopping and when I look at my before and after pictures. My coworkers that I see every day have never said anything, but its okay. At first I was self conscious when people commented that I look like I am losing weight. Now I say thank you and appreciate it.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    It all depends upon how much you have to lose. I had 125 pounds to lose and it took about 40 pounds before anyone started to notice.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    When I started wearing clothes that weren't too big for me.