Runners?

I love my running but need to mix it up and do something to help strenghten my core and help improve my running... I still need to drop about 28lb to... any tips and ideas please....I currently run 3 times a week... marathon training starts end of December and want it to feel a bit easier this time without the extra weight to ... Thanks :)

Replies

• got2rockit
    got2rockit Posts: 41 Member
    *bump* - same (except not marathon training, I will be 10K training)
  • LCD_80
    LCD_80 Posts: 26 Member
    hill sprints - sprinting properly uphill with a good high knee lift really works your core. nothing too steep and not too far, 50-100m is plenty - but really go for it, as fast as you can! start with a couple of sets of 4 with a walk/job back down and a 5 minute easy run between sets (run a mile or so either side warm up cool down).
    Also, try a circuits class - HIIT - metafit (seems to be a UK thing) or insanity type workouts improve your core hugely - add one or two sessions a week and change one of your runs for hills.
  • MandyN43
    MandyN43 Posts: 6 Member
    Thats great thank you :)
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    I am currently doing C25K, so totally not Marathon material here, lol. But I do the program 3 days a week.

I've managed to add a great deal of strength to my core with kettlebell workouts. (I do Zuzka Light Kettlebell series at home) and yoga at a studio (we do a ton of planks in yoga and engage the core in most poses.
    The yoga also helps me not be tight (thus prevent injury) after running.

Also, I just bought a home Body Weight Suspension Trainer (like a TRX, but not that brand) and it is supposed to be fantastic for core strength too.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    yoga and pilates are great core builders and help with flexibility too
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I like the kettlebells idea. I add some upper body work after my runs -- sit-ups, push-ups, pull-ups, etc. That increases the workout.
    Lifting heavy weights is hard while training for a race because it can wear you out, which interferes with running well.
    Be careful. As you probably know, it is hard to lose weight while training for a marathon.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    If you are new to running, then more running is the best thing to improve your running. Just get more time out on your feet. Getting the distance in will be more beneficial than working about tempo runs, hills runs etc.
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    edited November 2015
    Weight training and cross train with spin class or swimming to prevent overuse injuries. Run 3-4 times a week to get ready for your training to start. Yoga is great too!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Ditto on the more running. I also like to do a 15 minute plank workout after my runs. I have gotten away from it but plan on starting back my Nautilus workouts on my short run days to get ready for skiing three times a week. I am spoiled, I get to run out my front door and the gym is on my route.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    MamaMollyT wrote: »
    Weight training and cross train with spin class or swimming to prevent overuse injuries. Run 3-4 times a week to get ready for your training to start. Yoga is great too!

^^^ Agreed 100%

Check out runnersworld.com/workouts/10-essential-strength-exercises-for-runners
  • southerman46
    southerman46 Posts: 828 Member
    I agree with mixing it up with swimming and biking. I was recently forced into less running after back surgery ans switched over to doing triathlons and feel stronger than I ever have.
  • QueenKristine77
    QueenKristine77 Posts: 67 Member
    moyer566 wrote: »
    yoga and pilates are great core builders and help with flexibility too

+1 on the yoga and pilates!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    MandyN43 wrote: »
    I love my running but need to mix it up and do something to help strenghten my core and help improve my running... I still need to drop about 28lb to... any tips and ideas please....I currently run 3 times a week... marathon training starts end of December and want it to feel a bit easier this time without the extra weight to ... Thanks :)

I also agree with the yoga and pilates, but increasing your base mileage is a great idea too. How many days per week do you plan to run during training? I would try to get up to that level before starting the plan. Having a solid base will go a long way in making your marathon easier.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    I'm at 10k level and I mix it up. I do a core body conditioning class once a week and try to remember to practice planks several times a week. I also spin once a week and find that the spin class helped my core (and runners knee when I had it) the best.

I have a tilted pelvis and got really bad runners knee this summer. Physio advised I do more core and strength work and it has really really helped! Losing weight at a slower rate than if I was just running but way more balanced and my fitness has become very transferable.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited November 2015
    I do pilates, Youtube core and glute workouts, resistance training (with barbells, dumbbells and kettlebells - all the bells!), and swim alongside running, which is my preferred thing. Strong muscles are important, as is flexibility, and swimming allows me to get cardio in whilst being lower impact and letting me use my legs differently.

I also play badminton but that's for fun and juvenile enjoyment at using the word 'shuttlecock'.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Lifting heavy helped me quite a bit, but you'd need access to barbels, a squat rack, and a bench to do Stronglifts or, really, any of the beginner routines. Plus, it might be too much once marathon training starts since you'd be a beginner and if you follow the program, the weights advance quickly.

I think a body weight program would work well for you. TRX might be something you'd want to look into as well - you good work on balance and stretching as well as strength with that system. And, you don't need a gym.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    All around exercises to improve glutes, hips, and core:

Four Key Core Exercises For Runners (Competitor)
    http://running.competitor.com/2014/07/injury-prevention/four-key-core-exercises-for-runners_41874

13 Essential Core Exercises for Runners (Active)
    http://www.active.com/running/articles/13-essential-core-exercises-for-runners

Glute Strength (Runner's World)
    http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/glute-strength

How and Why Should You Strengthen Your Hip Abductors (Runners Connect)
    http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/hip-strengthening-for-runners/

Flex Those Flexors: 3 Steps To Powerful Hips (BodyBuilding.com)
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/flex-those-flexors-3-steps-to-powerful-hips.html

Strengthen your Hip Flexors (Speed Endurance)
    http://speedendurance.com/2012/02/07/strengthen-your-hip-flexors/

Hip Flexor Tightness in Distance Runners (Athletico Physical Therapy)
    http://www.athletico.com/2012/04/04/hip-flexor-tightness-in-distance-runners/
  • MandyN43
    MandyN43 Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks everyone... I do love spin and need to get back to it... Weights I think I need to do some of that to as I need to tone up so much...got more wobble than jelly lol so if it helps with running to ...even better :)