I Love Pizza but...

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    I've learned to just get smaller pizzas. We used to get Extra Larges around here and then we reduced it down to a Large, and now even that's too much so we get medium pizzas.

Occasionally we'll get a thin crust (that really does save on the calories), but otherwise I just fit the medium slices into my calorie goal. I love pizza too much to mess with it's complete yumminess.
  • sarahdayski
    sarahdayski Posts: 125 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    eat half a pizza with a large salad

that is what i do, once a week as a treat me and DD share a thin crust pizza
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    glitzy196 wrote: »
    I use tortillas sometimes. .and bake them in my toaster oven. I can have 2 pretty good size ones for 400 calories. Pita is also a good one.

I do tortillas too.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    I use Flatout wraps which are 90 calories. Their website has pizza recipes too.
    http://www.flatoutbread.com/product-recipes/pizza/page/2/
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Oh I love pizza as well, so when I don't make my own, then I make it fit.
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    I had 2 slices yesterday at fazolis, and 2 breadsticks. It came in at 850 calories, i just ate around it part of what got me here is thinking that 5 pieces of pizza is normal..
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    I use the flat out wraps also. Put some fig jam, goat cheese, some prosciutto and throw it on the bbq. So delicious
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    1 part Greek yogurt with 1 part flour makes a great pizza base. It's relatively low calorie for a pretty big pizza. Add whatever toppings you like. You control the cheese and such, so you can make it as healthy as you want. Slimming world's smash pizza base is pretty low calorie too, and tastes good as well.

That sounds interesting. I will have to try it. Is it sort of a cracker consistency when baked? Do you have to press it into a pan or does it roll out? Do you have to pre bake the crust? Thanks.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    1 part Greek yogurt with 1 part flour makes a great pizza base. It's relatively low calorie for a pretty big pizza. Add whatever toppings you like. You control the cheese and such, so you can make it as healthy as you want. Slimming world's smash pizza base is pretty low calorie too, and tastes good as well.

That sounds interesting. I will have to try it. Is it sort of a cracker consistency when baked? Do you have to press it into a pan or does it roll out? Do you have to pre bake the crust? Thanks.

I use this 2 ingredient pizza dough too. It's really good. A little crispy on the outside but soft on the inside. You need to use self-rising flour or add the additional baking ingredients. Here are the instructions.

http://www.theslowroasteditalian.com/2014/02/2-ingredient-pizza-dough-recipe.html
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I eat 1/2 a pizza with a huge pile of stir fried vegetables.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Artemiris wrote: »
    An Italian pizza Margherita has "only" 700 calories. Sure it's not low calories, but it's absolutely doable for one dinner.

I checked how many calories there are in one "american-style" pizza at a local chain: 3000 (!!)

Now I get why pizza is considered "bad".
    The American-style pizzas from local chains are typically meant to feed more than one person, whereas the picture of the Italian pizza Margherita you posted looks like it's meant to feed one. Not that it really matters, but you're comparing apples to oranges.

• QueenKristine77
    QueenKristine77 Posts: 67 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    eat half a pizza with a large salad

yup, this sounds about right! YUM
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Papa Murphy's thin crust pepperoni is not only a REALLY good pizza, it's fairly low-calorie as well (well, as far as pizza goes). If you cut it into 8 slices, each slice is 220 calories. So you can have two slices of pizza and a salad or maybe some other filling veggie side for <600 calories. Even if you have three slices it's less than 700 calories which is hardly a big deal - I eat a fairly small breakfast and lunch and usually eat an 800+ calorie dinner anyway.

YEP! Love Papa Murphy's.

Although, I usually just hit the gym, and have half the pizza. I mean, still just ~900 calories.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Make it work into your calorie allotment for the day.

We always have thin crust delite from Papa Murphy's with veggies, no meat, light on the cheese. I don't miss the meat at all, but if you want meat, just allow for it.

^^ this

I actually prefer thin crust pizza, it's like a fancy cracker.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    I use tortilla wraps, pitta bread or home made flatbread. Then top it with loads of tasty veg, meat and seasonings. You get a tasty pizza without all the calories. I eat mine with a side salad and if I feel very naughty a slice of home made garlic bread.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    We use Damascus Bakeries Bake-Sense flax roll-ups for crust. Sauce, mozzarella, veggies, lean Canadian bacon, and spices. Tastes great and totally satisfies my pizza cravings.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member

I use this 2 ingredient pizza dough too. It's really good. A little crispy on the outside but soft on the inside. You need to use self-rising flour or add the additional baking ingredients. Here are the instructions.

http://www.theslowroasteditalian.com/2014/02/2-ingredient-pizza-dough-recipe.html

Interesting!

I wish I could find a recipe for those delicious thin crust Italian style pizzas.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Burn more calories that day and enjoy! That's what I do and am still able to drop 1lb per week or more. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited November 2015
    there is no substitute for my favorite local pizzeria...we go as a family about once per month and my wife and I split a small veggie supreme usually. we usually have them take it a little easier on the cheese. i'm no worse for the wear.

i occasionally pick up a dough ball from them and make my own pizza at home...but i wouldn't say it's inherently any healthier than what we get when we're there as i'm pretty much making the same thing. a couple slices of pizza now and then is not big deal.

i'm not big on the franchise pizza joints...they just lack quality IMO.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    When I want pizza I plan on having around 1100 calories for dinner and I just get what I like. It might mean a smaller deficit for a day. It might mean eating maintenance. That's okay. I like my pizza and when I want it I want the real deal. No "diet" food for me. Just great eats fit into a reasonable calorie goal for my lifestyle.