Losing the battle

Because of my health I am losing my battle. I raised my calorie intake to 1500 a day like everyone wanted. I have put on 37lbs, tomorrow I am going back to hiring it hard and take my chances with my legs. I have been ashamed to write on here or even talk about it, please pray for me.

Replies

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    This sounds bad, and I wish you the best, but don't really grasp the context. What's up?
  • LULU4178
    LULU4178 Posts: 69 Member
    Ditto what feisty_bucket said. You are not alone. I know you feel ashamed but this is the place to be for support. We are all struggling! Every day we get the opportunity to do our best--no matter what happened the day before. I have not run for a month because I have two black toenails that I am afraid of losing. My big toe is sore all of the time and I can't wear shoes. Doc said it will heal itself. Meanwhile, I am making myself go for walks in my sandals or with cotton taped to my toes. Not pretty but I have to get some exercise : ) Please do what you can to be healthy and make peace with the fact that you are doing what you are able to do.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 727 Member
    @bigpap97 I am sorry to read that you continue to struggle....

There is definitely no need to punish yourself, I am not sure what you mean when you say you are going to take the chance with your legs....Due to your health problems I would hate to see your feelings of frustration and shame cause you further injury, so before doing anything drastic please pass your intentions via your Doctor.

I send my best wishes as always....perhaps you can use the forum more to open up about your problems and there as there is much support and care that you can receive....no need to struggle on alone.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 727 Member
    Looking back at your diary for Nov and some of Oct your logging is sporadic, there was only 1 day that I saw you reach 1500.....I really can't impress more strongly how much accurate logging is going to help you get a handle on what is actually going on for you.

I just don't think that a man of your size would NOT lose weight if they were eating at the numbers which you are reporting.....your reported deficit is enormous.

I think something is still going wrong in your logging and how much you think you are getting in calorie wise. I said this before about inaccuracies using cup measurements eg a cup of Hash browns kind of doesn't even make sense to me.....Also you keep using generic tangerine numbers....lots of problem issues can then creep in.

I'm sorry mate, I feel mean saying this but even with illness, inactivity to the point of being bedridden you would lose weight on 1500....1200 would be a struggle to get adequate nutrients for a man and the 600 calories I see more often than not - Well that's just really unhealthy.....especially as your diet seems to be quite devoid of vegetables, fruits other than tangerines, whole grains others than Pop Tarts and leans meats.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Bigpap, do I remember that you previously had your calorie goal set at 1100? I think folks were telling you to increase to 1500 because that is the recommended minimum for men on this site.

I'm sorry you're feeling so down. Could you elaborate on what's happening?

• TK6299
    TK6299 Posts: 502 Member
    We all support your end goal! It is sometimes tough to get a handle on nailing things down. Even standing, or sitting you can put your arms out to the side and rotate them in circles forwards and then backwards. This is minimal exercise and that you can do several times a day pretty much anywhere. Little strides forward my friend, and do not give up. Keep your water intake up, your diary looks to be zero every day.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I'm so sorry to hear you say that.

Looking at your diary, I picked 3 days at random:

October 20 you were nearly 7,000 kilojoules over.

October 5 you were 2341 kj over.

October 4 you didn't log.

You need to log everything you eat, and weigh it in grams.

Don't spit the dummy and go from one extreme to another.

Eat the foods you love within your calorie limit. Eat at the calorie limit the MFP website gives you.

No need to starve yourself or binge. Moderation is key.

This is how I've lost 23 kg since April.

Kind regards and best wishes.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    nobody can tell you what to eat and how much to eat....and if i could bet my whole life savings thatt 1500 cals did NOT Make you put on 37 lbs i would. so you need to reevaluate what really the problem is.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    There's absolutely no way you'd gain 37 pounds with 1500 calories with your size. Absolutely none.

You're eating way more than you think. Don't blame us because you're not willing to put the effort. I don't remember your last thread, but I'm sure people mentioned weighing food, logging everything, and not using generic entries. It seems you're doing none of those things.

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    You do not have to "hit it hard" in order to lose weight. You lose weight by eating at a caloric deficit. Exercise can help you create a bigger deficit, but it is not necessary. My husband and I are both around your age. We lost all of our weight this way. We ate anything we wanted in moderation. No food was off limits. We did not eat so little that we were not able to sustain it. We weighed, measured and counted every bite. I am not trying to sound smug, it took us years and years to finally figure this out. Listen to these people that have responded, they know what they are talking about.
  • Kettle_Belle14
    Kettle_Belle14 Posts: 246 Member
    Looking at your diary, I see a good amount of "general" entries. It's best if you log each ingredient separately, don't go by what someone else has entered into the database. I shot myself in the foot this way in the past.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    edited November 2015
    Hi - I agree with the others that have posted their concerns over your dietary choices. I KNOW you would function so much better with adequate, balanced healthy food. I'm sure you are not logging all of your food but from what you have logged thus far, it is apparent that it needs some attention if you want to reach your goals.

For example just look at the comparison of your breakfast to the one provided below. Same amount of calories, but there are major differences in the macros. Also, the one I listed would sure be more satiating.
    Yogurt - Yogurt Nonfat Plain Greek, 0.5 cup (227g)
    Ezekiel sprouted wheat bread - Ezekiel Bread, 2 slice
    Egg - Large Hardboiled (Egg and Yolk), 1 Large (50g) or (2 oz)
    Raspberries - Raw, 0.5 cup
    Maranatha - Almond Butter Crunchy
    1 TBSP.
    TOTAL: 397Calories 46Carbs 14Fat 29Protein 290Sodium 9Sugar

Kellogg's - Frosted Cherry Poptart, 2 pastry
    TOTAL: 400Calories 76Carbs 10Fat 4Protein 340Sodium 34Sugar

Perhaps start educating yourself on nutrition or get a dietitian.
    I hope you don't mind me putting in my 'two cents' and that I have not insulted you - as you might be fully aware of these things!
    Good luck and keep striving for better:)

• bigpap97
    bigpap97 Posts: 54 Member
    This sounds bad, and I wish you the best, but don't really grasp the context. What's up?

I have a very bad back, Parkinson's Desease, and right now I have venous vein reflux. It mean the little flaps in my veins are not working and it allows backflow of blood in my calls and is painful if I overdo it. Right know I wear compression hoes to help, I think my first surgery is Dec. 17.
  • bigpap97
    Francl27 wrote: »
    There's absolutely no way you'd gain 37 pounds with 1500 calories with your size. Absolutely none.

You're eating way more than you think. Don't blame us because you're not willing to put the effort. I don't remember your last thread, but I'm sure people mentioned weighing food, logging everything, and not using generic entries. It seems you're doing none of those things.
    i have never blamed anyone, I don't know we're you get your info from

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    I want to quit every day but keep on plugging away. I don't want to be fat and I remind myself of that. I don't have your health problems, I am sure that makes it harder. Keeping on keeping on
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Hang in there and keep trying! I find the small changes are the easiest to stick with...I do not respond long term to extreme makeovers in my diet or exercise habits...however, if I can add in one extra workout a week...then give it a month or two to become habit...then maybe add in one extra workout a week...small changes, that's what works best for me...over time they add up!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    bigpap97 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

i have never blamed anyone, I don't know we're you get your info from

' I raised my calorie intake to 1500 a day like everyone wanted'

Feels like you're attacking the people who told you to eat more, when I'm quite sure that most people actually told you that if you are not losing, you're eating too much, and increasing calories would just make it worse.

You've been told what to do (weigh your food, not use generic entries, make better choices), it's really up to you to actually do it.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Couple suggestions from looking at your diary:

1. LOG EVERYTHING! Log every little thing you eat, every single day, man!! Big, small, yummy, whatever. Consistency is the key to success in this type of journey.

2. You need more protein in the morning than Pop Tarts! I eat a bacon/egg/cheese wrap from Dunkin' Donuts every morning with a large black coffee. 190 calories with protein, fat, and a little carbs

3. Give yourself time to make the changes necessary, and to deal with your health issues. Make small changes, and let it snowball.

Best of luck, and tomorrow starts a new day!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Something is obviously amiss with your logging. I'm 5"8 and 150lbs and lose on 1650 calories a day. The weight should be melting off of you if you're truly eating 1500 calories per day. You definitely should not be gaining eating so little...
  • bigpap97
    I log in what I eat and drink about 150oz of water or tea a day my blood work is all screwed up and fixing one at a time unless other needed