Replies

• pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Lol this post was hysterical first

Turkey
    Mashed potatoes smothered in turkey gravy
    Stuffing
    Green bean casserole

And for a real party make some deviled eggs.

• iamnotvoldemort
    iamnotvoldemort Posts: 56 Member
    zichab wrote: »
    I leave out the rolls and make corn bread - so yummy with fresh salted butter. Apple pie is also traditional for Thanksgiving, at least in the northeastern U.S., because we have plenty of beautiful, freshly harvested apples to use.

What most Americans will not believe is how much turkeys cost in Europe! My daughter-in-law loves American Thanksgiving dinner and she makes it at Christmas when we are all together. In Netherlands, she orders the turkey a week ahead and for one that is 12-15 pounds she pays 120 Euros, which is $130.00! Hopefully, they are a bit cheaper in the UK :)

Oh my goodness, no.

Last year, I got a frozen turkey on sale for 70 cents a pound. I got the smallest one I could find (12 pounds, iirc) and it cost me less than $8.00. I only feed 2, but it was cheaper for me to get the whole bird instead of a breast! Even still, whole turkey isn't extremely expensive here. I rarely see it for more than $2.50 a pound when buying a whole bird.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited November 2015
    I think the most common are:
    Turkey
    Honey Glazed Ham (or just ham, but this one is good with pineapple lol)
    Stuffing
    Cranberry Sauce
    Mashed Potatoes
    Brown Gravy (Mushroom or Beef, but you could do a white gravy if you like)
    Biscuits or Rolls
    Pumpkin Pie
    Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows, as you mentioned
    Green Bean Casserole
    Carrots
    Corn
    Homemade Macaroni and Cheese

I'm a vegetarian. This year I will be making vegetarian turkey, possibly a real oven ready turkey (for my partner who is a meat eater), cheese lasagna, vegetarian "meatballs", mashed/baked potatoes, gravy, stuffing, rolls or biscuits and possibly pumpkin pie (though I might store buy this and just add spray canned whipped cream/reddiwhip) and/or macaroni and cheese, now that you reminded me. lol.

I will have to throw a vegetable in there later. Maybe carrots of some sort or broccoli in the macaroni.
  • iamnotvoldemort
    iamnotvoldemort Posts: 56 Member
    How I make Thanksgiving dinner for 2:

Turkey
    Mashed Potatoes
    Stuffing
    2 vegetable sides (last year it was spinach gratin and honey glazed carrots)
    Cranberry sauce (I grew up on the can but made homemade last year and I will never go back)
    Turkey gravy (no giblets though)
    A small relish tray of deviled eggs and black olives
    Pie (Cherry, because I hate pumpkin pie)

Growing up it was basically larger portions of what I make now plus a few baked sweet potatoes and the relish tray contained bread and butter and dill pickle spears. Despite growing up in the south, my parents are from New York so I didn't experience sweet potato casserole until I was well into adulthood. I've actually still never experienced green bean casserole because my mom hated it so much it was banned from the house and I am not that big a fan of green beans.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    I've used this method for turkey, and chicken, and it's the best way to make sure that the breast isn't over-cooked. An oven probe or instant read thermometer makes it fool-proof. You'll need garden clippers to get through a turkey's backbone, though. Poultry shears aren't tough enough! It cooks fast, so your oven isn't occupied all day.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/11/butterfiled-roast-turkey-with-gravy-recipe.html

I will dry brine and let it sit in the fridge for 24-48 hrs. The skin will be crispy, which is a must. The meat is juicy and cooked to the right temp for white AND dark meat. You get goodies for gravy, too, but I love Ina Garten's recipe for make-ahead gravy.

I'm another who recommends, and prefers, dressing instead of stuffing. It's impossible to cook stuffing to the correct temperature without over-cooking the turkey...and I don't like mushy, either.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Large family (30+ when all said and done), so we have 2 turkeys: one roasted, one smoked. Both are AMAZING. And we have 2 types of sweet potato: one with marshmallows, and one with like a praline topping. Again, both are AMAZING! Haha.

I never realized that many people disliked pumpkin pie!!!
  • StellaRose227
    StellaRose227 Posts: 43 Member
    edited November 2015
    zichab wrote: »
    I leave out the rolls and make corn bread - so yummy with fresh salted butter. Apple pie is also traditional for Thanksgiving, at least in the northeastern U.S., because we have plenty of beautiful, freshly harvested apples to use.

What most Americans will not believe is how much turkeys cost in Europe! My daughter-in-law loves American Thanksgiving dinner and she makes it at Christmas when we are all together. In Netherlands, she orders the turkey a week ahead and for one that is 12-15 pounds she pays 120 Euros, which is $130.00! Hopefully, they are a bit cheaper in the UK :)

Oh my goodness, no.

Last year, I got a frozen turkey on sale for 70 cents a pound. I got the smallest one I could find (12 pounds, iirc) and it cost me less than $8.00. I only feed 2, but it was cheaper for me to get the whole bird instead of a breast! Even still, whole turkey isn't extremely expensive here. I rarely see it for more than $2.50 a pound when buying a whole bird.

For 70 cents a pound I might have bought a couple to put in the freezer.

And I was just congratulating myself on scoring a Butterball frozen turkey for 99 cents a pound!

And I think I've finalized my menu (and made shopping list and timeline for cooking....I might be a *little* obsessed):

hors d'oeuvres
    Rosemary Spiced Mixed Nuts
    Olive dip

Meal
    Bacon-wrapped turkey with maple-bourbon brine
    Cranberry sauce with apples, cherries, and toasted walnuts
    Sausage and Cornbread dressing
    Brown butter mashed potatoes
    Loaded sweet potatoes
    Corn pudding
    Penne au Gratin
    Croissants/Sour Cream biscuits
    Fried okra
    Green beans
    Squash casserole
    Creamed spinach

Dessert
    Chocolate cake with raspberry mousse filling and almond garnish
    Pecan pie cheesecake
  • bronizzle
    bronizzle Posts: 126 Member
    Canadians also partake in Thanksgiving, and we are so influenced by the Brits, I imagine some of our food reflects that. I am a vegetarian, so thanksgiving to me looks different than it traditionally has, but when I was young my mom would always cook a turkey with stuffing, we would have mashed potatoes and gravy, dinner roles, assorted types of pickled vegetables, sweet potato dish with melted marshmellows, cranberry sauce, steamed or roasted veggies, and the pumpkin pie for dinner is key! However, some may also incorporate butter tarts, nanaimo bars, etc.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Everyone has kinda hit on the staples, but every family has their own things they do. We usually have green bean casserole, corn, mashed potatoes, broccoli and cheese, and rolls for our sides. I think my dad is the only one that likes cranberry sauce! For dessert, pies definitely, and my mom usually makes Heavenly. That's a dessert with a pecan crust, pudding and cream cheese filling and cool whip on top and it's AMAZING. Yeah, don't forget the Cool Whip! XD
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    We never had marshmallows and I still won't touch them.
    I do remember lots of talk about the stuffing/dressing. Mom still makes two stuffings.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Did anyone mention Succotash??? I'll leave the wiki link here just in case:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Succotash
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    This year, I'm roasting a brined duck instead of turkey.
    Roasted green beans+dill/lemon/onion*
    Cauliflower gratin
    Cranberry pomegranate sauce*
    Brussels sprouts and bacon
    roasted butternut squash in shallot+cider reduction*
    mashed potatoes & gravy
    pumpkin praline cheesecake
    "egg"nog pots de creme*

I also attend a vegan* thanksgiving, but that menu is different.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    ar9179 wrote: »
    I've used this method for turkey, and chicken, and it's the best way to make sure that the breast isn't over-cooked. An oven probe or instant read thermometer makes it fool-proof. You'll need garden clippers to get through a turkey's backbone, though. Poultry shears aren't tough enough! It cooks fast, so your oven isn't occupied all day.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/11/butterfiled-roast-turkey-with-gravy-recipe.html

I will dry brine and let it sit in the fridge for 24-48 hrs. The skin will be crispy, which is a must. The meat is juicy and cooked to the right temp for white AND dark meat. You get goodies for gravy, too, but I love Ina Garten's recipe for make-ahead gravy.

I'm another who recommends, and prefers, dressing instead of stuffing. It's impossible to cook stuffing to the correct temperature without over-cooking the turkey...and I don't like mushy, either.

⬆️THIS is awesome :)
    I butterfly chicken to cook it but I never realized that it would work with Turkey too. Thank you for posting this info!!!
  • theharvestkitchen
    theharvestkitchen Posts: 18 Member
    Gluten-free Cranberry Tart

http://www.theharvestkitchen.com/gluten-free-cranberry-tart/

The best...most moist and fluffiest Gluten-free Pumpkin Bread with Streusel ever

http://www.theharvestkitchen.com/gluten-free-pumpkin-bread-with-streusel/
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    KellieTru wrote: »
    ar9179 wrote: »

⬆️THIS is awesome :)
    I butterfly chicken to cook it but I never realized that it would work with Turkey too. Thank you for posting this info!!!

Your very welcome! It's delicious and not dryyyyyy. The Food Lab is a treasure.
  • jkmartin81
    jkmartin81 Posts: 2 Member
    From The 'Ol North State here (that's North Carolina). We definitely have turkey and have roasted it, brined it, deep fried it you name it. I also come from West Virginia and my family has "Virginia" ham which is cured and make a non-traditional red-eye gravy out of brown sugar, pineapple juice and yellow mustard that cooks on the ham as a glaze. We then make homemade biscuits and "sop" them in the de-fatted gravy. Cornbread stuffing, deviled eggs, sweet potato casserole and any veggies that the kids will eat round out the meal. Pumpkin pie, apple pie and pound cake for desserts
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Here in the SW
    collard greens
    cornbread
    macaroni and cheese

yum, yum, yum
  • Daisies4Days
    Daisies4Days Posts: 76 Member
    My favorite holiday!!!! The one thing I make yearly by hubby request is oyster dressing. It's a meal in itself ( just know you are throwing the calorie count out the window!)
  • Daisies4Days
    aut2run wrote: »
    My favorite holiday!!!! The one thing I make yearly by hubby request is oyster dressing. It's a meal in itself ( just know you are throwing the calorie count out the window!)
    Sorry, didn't complete post...
  • Daisies4Days
    Wolfgang Puck oyster dressing