Vegan blonde was on TV, why was her hair falling out?

Was it that she was not getting any meat of any kind?
http://www.today.com/health/breaking-vegan-author-jordan-younger-confesses-dirty-secrets-clean-eating-t55086
She also lost cycle, but that sound b/c she went underweight.

So vegans can run into real-life threatening problems?
I thought you could get enough protein, vit d, and iron from veggies.
I honest to goodness thought so.
What am I missing?
Also, can't a vegan take a daily multi vitamin?
She was into clean, so many clean means no daily vitamin?
* I thought losing hair was from a bad diet without protein. I highly respect veganism.

Replies

• plantedinpots
    plantedinpots Posts: 44 Member
    edited November 2015
    if you read the article you linked us to, it clearly says she was suffering from orthorexia and was eating 800 calories a day. while she may not have been eating animal products, that's not what veganism is all about. On question #5, if you scroll down the article, she answers back, " I developed obsessions and anxiety around food. It wasn't about veganism. I had restrictions on top of veganism."
    did you read the article? B)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2015
    800 calories a day, of whatever she was eating, is enough to cause hair loss.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    I wouldn't have thought a well thought out vegan diet would cause problems, although B12 is usually touted as an issue.

Many multi-vitamins in capsule form use cartilage from sharks to enclose them. But there are vegan alternatives.

Sounds like she just had a bad diet and it was nothing to do with being a vegan. In fact, a quick glance at the article shows she followed an 800 calorie juice diet. THAT is the problem. Veganism isn't a juice diet.
  • kaypee65
    kaypee65 Posts: 120 Member
    One thing about being vegan is that you won't get B12 from dietary sources and will have to supplement. There are vegan vitamins and nooch is boosted with B12 as well. (Nooch is nutritional yeast with a cheesy flavor. Wonderful on popcorn!)

With protein requirements studies are all over the map. People in the US strongly favor higher protein consumption. But there are a lot of healthy people around the world consuming far less protein than we do in North America.

But yes, with a little attention you can get plenty of protein from veggie sources. There are loads of vegan cookbooks that provide guidance on balanced vegan diets not to mention the free web resources.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Was it that she was not getting any meat of any kind?

I rather suspect it was due to her (self diagnosed) eating disorder which means she was consistently eating less than 800 calories a day and thereby making it very possible she was not getting adequate nutrition.

Or veganism.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Being vegan is fine. If one meets their calorie goals and micro nutrient needs, any diet is fine. The usual issue with being vegan is that many that I've ran into have an issue eating enough calories daily.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

We do not require meat to keep our hair from falling out. Anyone on an overly restricted diet -- vegan or non-vegan-- can run into dangerous deficiencies. Although a diet of just vegetables would make it difficult to meet nutritional needs, a diet without animal products (including fruits, vegetables, beans, and grains) can meet all nutritional needs except for B12 (which is easy and cheap to supplement).
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Vegan here ;)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    got it, she was just too low in calories.
    learned: that low cal diets can cause hair to fall out - thought it was something else in the vegan lifestyle

If you read her blog, she's very open that she was not only restricting calories, but was also obsessively restricting foods to fit an increasingly more narrow view of "clean" foods. She was in no way eating a balanced vegan diet; she also wasn't getting enough fat/protein/B12/any number of other nutrients. Her incredibly unhealthy diet just also happened to be vegan, but that isn't really the important part.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    The minimum recommendation for calorie intake for women is 1200 calories and she was getting 800. She was also exercising.
    She was doing juice cleanses. She was not eating a well balanced vegan diet with the appropriate number of calories.
    Anyone can run into life threatening problems if they are starving their body and are malnourished. If you only ate 800 calories and it was all chicken every day you'd have some health issues too.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2015
    I have so much respect for the vegans - I could write an essay, lol.

They may have trouble with B-12 and can have trouble with iron. Those things can be supplemented, though. There is no reason that a vegan diet can't be healthy. Vegetarians will have an easier time, but the vegans do not have to have their hair falling out. That's crazy.

If her hair was falling out - assuming it was diet-related - she was doing something wrong. One reason I love "Oh, She Glows" is that it promotes healthy veganism. You can be both vegan and healthy. If you're vegan, you should be vegan and healthy!

Many people who purposely starve themselves claim to be vegans, but they're fooling themselves. Occasionally, they fool others. It's rare that they fool anyone close to them, but lots of people tie healthy eating and/or veganism to eating disorders because they've been suckered into the lies told by those who starve themselves and claim they're doing it to be vegans or eat "clean" or whatever. It gives veganism a bad name and is unfortunate.

I wish the vegans who aren't generally in-your-face-vegan would state more often that veganism isn't about starving yourself. Unfortunately, the vegans who get publicity are more often the In Your Face kind and not the Oh, She Glows kind.

Plenty of vegans have their hair. :)
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    learned: that low cal diets can cause hair to fall out - thought it was something else in the vegan lifestyle

Yeah, I don't think this is about being a vegan at all. It's about her developing and eating disorder and that likely could have happened to her no matter what eating plan she started with. The plan isn't important. It's the fact that she took it to extremes. The article mentioning being vegan is misleading and is a disservice to vegans who eat healthfully.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Yeah, I don't think this is about being a vegan at all. It's about her developing and eating disorder and that likely could have happened to her no matter what eating plan she started with. The plan isn't important. It's the fact that she took it to extremes. The article mentioning being vegan is misleading and is a disservice to vegans who eat healthfully.

Unfortunately, she's using veganism as the hook to sell her book. She is aware that will get more attention than the actual cause of her symptoms -- her eating disorder.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Unfortunately, she's using veganism as the hook to sell her book. She is aware that will get more attention than the actual cause of her symptoms -- her eating disorder.

Sad, isn't it? The things people will do for money. That's why I said it was a disservice to vegans, which is so very rarely understood to begin with. This only adds fuel to the fire.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    The headlines were horrible and misleading.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Well, I think it's true that vegans need to be more careful to maintain proper nutrition because it's easier to become deficient in some things when not eating animal products.

That said, it's absolutely possible to be very healthy on a vegan diet - and possible to be very unhealthy on a non-vegan diet.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    It is harder to mainatin a healthy balance on a vegan diet, but eminently possible and if someone wants to commit to being vegan, they generally commit to looking after that side of it too.

The aricle is clickbait - "Vegan's hair falls out!" is WAY more 'sexy' than "Orthorexic, 800 cal a day dieter's hair falls out!"