Starting OMAD? Introduce Yourself Here!

Replies

• M_Foote
    M_Foote Posts: 148 Member
    Usually, "going easy" would entail not starting anything new or especially challenging with regard to exercise. If you are sedentary, don't start C25K, 100 Pushups, 200 Situps, and a progressive weights program alongside OMAD. If you have a favorite activity that you enjoy and have been doing for a while, keep doing it and see what happens. But don't sacrifice the principle of OMAD for the idea that you have to add a bunch of activity to lose weight. I did (for other reasons) and it definitely makes it that much harder. . . Almost impossible some days.

OMAD will stress your body a good bit in the beginning, and so adding the stress of exercise can add up to less results, rather that more. True story, I was losing weight at a pretty good clip on OMAD until I started exercising. Check out my thread for info.
  • leeyuhsee
    leeyuhsee Posts: 60 Member
    Okay. I appreciate the clarification.
  • Bchlvr64
    Bchlvr64 Posts: 89 Member
    Sandy
    5 ft 6 in
    struggle with my weight for a LONG time, mostly because of my own brain telling me I can't do it.
    goal weight: 150 lbs
    time OMAD: 11:00 am - 3:00pm
    Today is my start date

Thank you for having me here. This seems so simple. I have thought of doing this for years but instead listen to other "experts" say you must eat several times a day etc. I'm excited to be here.
  • M_Foote
    Hi Sandy! Start a thread and dive in! Welcome!
  • Bchlvr64
    Bchlvr64 Posts: 89 Member
    Thanks! How do I start a thread?
  • M_Foote
    If you are on MFP via the web, go back out to the OMAD forum screen where you clicked into this thread and scroll all the way to the bottom where it says "create". If you are on the app, go about halfway down the group page until you see "create".
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    edited September 2015
    leeyuhsee wrote: »
    Hey,
    I'm confused as to what you mean in going easy? Like, are you saying that I should not exercise? Because I've been running, playing tennis, and dancing for years. Are you saying that I should not be doing them? Lifting weights is admittedly new, but I'm not a heavy lifter by any stretch of the imagination. And when I run, I usually go for 2-4 miles. I'm not running marathons.

Remind me again of how much you want to lose?

Your losses will be a LOT slower when you incorporate anything by way of exercise that is more intense than brisk walking. That is the #1 reason people write me about slow to non-existent weight loss. I tell them universally to back off on most physical activity while at a calorie deficit, and it ALWAYS works. They write me back to tell me that.

Your body freaks out due to the fact that your caloric expenses exceed your body's ability to burn fat to meet the calorie needs. You therefore release cortisol like that, which holds onto fat. So I say, drop off the exercise until you are at your goal weight. But this isn't as serious unless you have a lot to lose, which you don't seem to have. That's why I said "go easy" on the exercise and balance it with your loss goal.

Can't stress what I've laid out enough, though; your activity levels need to be relaxed.
  • arguablysamson
    Ah, I see Foote explained it quite nicely! I've got to keep up with threads better! :-p
  • M_Foote
    Ah, I see Foote explained it quite nicely! I've got to keep up with threads better! :-p

Too much time on my hands. . . :D
  • leeyuhsee
    leeyuhsee Posts: 60 Member
    I'm trying to get down another 40 pounds or so.
    It's impossible for me to cut out all activity, anyway, because of my work.
  • Melinda
    207lbs
    5'6"
    I have stuggled with weight gain since my first child and kept gaining. I was on bedrest with two pregnancies and got even bigger. With many complications and losses, I had procedures,surgeries, hormone treatments, etc. All of these things combined really did a number on my body.
    I have tried almost every diet. In July I was at my heaviest ever, 235 so I went to my doctor and I had some deficiencies and he gave me what I needed to correct those.
    In August I decided to start cutting back on carbs and then started looking into intermittent fasting. When doing research I found Sam's story about OMAD. I had to try it.

My start date was October 1, 2015 weight/ 216.
    I started to lose my way when I was combining intermittent fasting with OMAD. So This week I went back on OMAD exclusively and am already dropping weight again.
    My goal weight is 150/155.
    My meal time is 5-7 pm
    P.s. Something pretty important that I forgot to mention is that my husband is very large as well and he always seems to try to tempt me with my favorite foods. I think he bonds with me thru food. This makes things a bit weird but I'm not stopping this lifestyle. I feel great.
  • arguablysamson
    Hi, Melinda.

Thanks for giving us the low-down. It's good you are aware of both yourself and your situation--and your deficiencies, which you've accommodated. That's great.

IF (OMAD) is really where it's at! There have been far too many success stories to deny it. One piece of advice I can offer with hubby...don't try to convert him or convince him of anything. Don't draw away from him, either, but be stoic, try not to argue about the matter and just show him that even if he's next to you in bed with goodies, you won't give an inch. Your success will become evident.

Remember the beverages!

And welcome!
  • arhalljr
    arhalljr Posts: 1 Member
    Hi my name is Andrew
    230-235
    I'm 5' 8"

I am a family man with a wife and busy kids. I work as an RN at night 3-4/week 12 hour shifts and have for 13 years. My sleeping routine is all over the place. Its very difficult for me to be consistent with my diet, mainly because of my working hours. I've always been an active outdoor activity person, but slowly I'm gaining weight and its getting harder for me to do the things I enjoyed doing. My knees bother me more and more and I know its my weight. I have a family history of high blood pressure and stroke. I headed in the wrong direction. I don't have any chronic issues (other than my knees) that I know of because I won't go to the doctor. I was listening to a podcast "The Fat Burning Man Show" and the host had a guest who lost a tremendous amount of weight eating one meal a day. At the time we were making dinner and it was around 5:30 pm...I thought wow dinner is going to be my first meal of the day, so I decided that I would start right then and there. I truly had no plan, so I went on line and searched around and found what Arguablysamson had shared (THANKS FOR DOING THAT!). I found it inspiring and have been doing it for 3 days. It hasn't been too bad. I was a little edgy last night until I had a good dinner and some wine. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but that was to be expected. I have tried the paleo thing, the low fat thing, the low carb thing and I don't think for me...They have worked in the short-term, but then the weight came back...Exercising for me isn't the problem...its mostly my diet and what, when and how much I eat. This way of eating seems like a great way for my lifestyle. I'm all in!

My goal range is 175-190
    My window for eating will be 5-9pm (i'm still trying to fine tune the hour I will eat..shooting for 6ish)
    I started 11/12/15
  • ashleigh315
    ashleigh315 Posts: 87 Member
    Hi everyone! I'm Ashleigh. I currently weigh about 176 at 5'6 and I've been trying to lose weight (unsuccessfully) for over a year. I'll restrict calories and lose a little bit, but then every few weeks fall off of the wagon at a party or just because I miss my favorite foods and gain the weight back. When I was still in college I would eat most of my calories at dinner and either skip or have a very light breakfast and lunch. It wasn't until after college that I changed my eating habits and that's when the weight really started to creep on. I'm only ever truly hungry around late afternoon so I think my body is trying to naturally fall into a OMAD pattern and I'm finally going to stop fighting that and embrace it!

My goal weight range is 125-140
    My window will be from 3-7pm
    STARTING TODAY 11/14/15
  • arguablysamson
    Welcome Andrew and Ashleigh!

Welcome to OMAD...get ready to see some changes!
  • twicor
    twicor Posts: 7 Member
    Hello All,
    I'm Brent
    286 lbs @ 6'2"
    210 to 225 lb target weight range

I've always been a big guy but not this fat. Gained weight after I got out of the Marines by just living too hard and not looking after myself. Lost weight a couple of times but after a couple years, fell back into the same trap and ended up wearing the same spare tires again. I wasn't losing in a way that was a solid life-style change for me. That and I'm boredom eater that sleeps very little. ;-) Not a good combination.

I'm losing a few pounds using a LCHF diet methodology (over the last 10 weeks) but it's coming off sporadically not steadily and I know this isn't a sustainable eating method for me. I still need carbs in my diet to 'feel OK'. So after reading some of the other groups on MFP, I stumbled across the OMAD methodology and this fits in with my already established meal eating habits. I'm up at 5:30, graze throughout the day on fiber bars, nuts, carrots, etc, eat one meal in the evening, then munch on junk throughout the night till I hit the rack again at 1:00 or so. I can wrap my head around the idea of eating all my daily calories in a single, short window each day so here I go with OMAD. I don't usually get cravings and can follow rules which makes me think this may be the answer that was in front of me the whole time if I had just listened to what I've learned about myself and applied some common sense.

Just wanted to introduce myself and put a little pressure on to stick it out and get results by knowing other folks will be watching. ;-)

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Welcome!

I'm fairly knew myself. I started omad (I eat 5:30 to 8:30) 06 Sept 2015. I'm 6'1" and have gone from 250 to 220 as of this morning. I like this diet because I can eat tell full. I think fasting has many benefits besides weight loss. I find the fasting isn't that hard. Once I start eating, I want to continue but if I fast it isn't that hard. Good luck, stick with it and I think you will like it.
  • arguablysamson
    twicor wrote: »
    Hello All,
    I'm Brent
    286 lbs @ 6'2"
    210 to 225 lb target weight range

I've always been a big guy but not this fat. Gained weight after I got out of the Marines by just living too hard and not looking after myself. Lost weight a couple of times but after a couple years, fell back into the same trap and ended up wearing the same spare tires again. I wasn't losing in a way that was a solid life-style change for me. That and I'm boredom eater that sleeps very little. ;-) Not a good combination.

I'm losing a few pounds using a LCHF diet methodology (over the last 10 weeks) but it's coming off sporadically not steadily and I know this isn't a sustainable eating method for me. I still need carbs in my diet to 'feel OK'. So after reading some of the other groups on MFP, I stumbled across the OMAD methodology and this fits in with my already established meal eating habits. I'm up at 5:30, graze throughout the day on fiber bars, nuts, carrots, etc, eat one meal in the evening, then munch on junk throughout the night till I hit the rack again at 1:00 or so. I can wrap my head around the idea of eating all my daily calories in a single, short window each day so here I go with OMAD. I don't usually get cravings and can follow rules which makes me think this may be the answer that was in front of me the whole time if I had just listened to what I've learned about myself and applied some common sense.

Just wanted to introduce myself and put a little pressure on to stick it out and get results by knowing other folks will be watching. ;-)

Here's a formal welcome!

I tried the low-carb approach in the late 90s. I am no fan myself, and I felt miserable the whole time. It's a live-and-learn sort of thing. Once discovering OMAD in what could only be called an epiphany, I realized that the answer was right there in front of me (and in nature) all the time.
  • M_Foote
    Hi guys! Sorry for being late to the party, but welcome to the OMAD forum! Stick around and enjoy.
  • vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    OK my OMAD peeps, I just managed to almost OMAD for a whole week and I'm down 2 lbs - yay!! I say almost OMAD because on 2 days I had a protein snack before going to bed. I'm already feeling soooo much better, it's unbelievable! I didn't think I would be able to do it for more than 2 days, but now I'm reasonably sure I can keep this up. Thanks everyone for being so inspirational and motivational -- just reading your posts keeps me energized!