From a size 20 to a size 8 with strength training, in one year! PICS!

Replies

• msunat97
    msunat97 Posts: 511 Member
    Awesome!
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Well done to both you and your husband! That's hugely inspirational.
    Congratulations on the pregnancy. It must feel so wonderful having transformed your whole world.
  • bigyak82
    bigyak82 Posts: 7 Member
    Hello MFPers!

I am 33 years old and 5'3". I started this difficult journey in Jan of 2014 at 205lbs and I had JUST hit a size 20!!! In Dec 2014, I got down to a size 8 and around 135lbs! I feel great and am loving who I am becoming now! I'm learning a TON and meeting a lot of great people in the process.

I came across MFP in June of last year. I have kept a moderate calorie deficit pretty consistently (500 or so each day), with my carbs and protein around 100g each while lifting weights regularly (in my home with my own collected equipment), 5-6 times/week. I didn't do much cardio, as I don't enjoy it. I do run on occasion though. I feel empowered now and I absolutely LOVE strength training! Planning to take new progress pics at the end of June so I'm looking forward to that. :)

Here is my story so far on realbodiesrealresults.com. Feel free to check it out! :blush:
    realbodiesrealresults.com/gen.html

Best wishes to you all, anything is possible if you don't give up! :heart:

fdfm4zk13syy.jpg

ofn9eb5b3li7.jpg

3thg10dkzn4h.jpg

mcs7xhgcpcti.jpg

jrkoda9hxmgh.png
    dum6683wmsay.jpg

You look amazing,such an inspiration, hope I can end up a size 8 like you.
  • GenElizabeth
    GenElizabeth Posts: 291 Member
    edited October 2015
    Thanks everyone, very much. :smile:
    Congrats on the baby! I have a question. I have been doing different exercises and moves sort of designing different routines so I don't get bored. I feel like I'm working my muscles good but am done sometimes in 20/25 min. (Not including stretching just the actual lifting and compound moves). Does that sound too short? I am aiming at 4 days a week and hopefully will move to more. How long are your average lifting sessions? Thanks!!

Thank you! I think you are right where you should be and designing your own routines is where the fun is for me, so I applaud you for that! My average lifting sessions (at home for the first year) were around 30 mins also and progressed to sometimes 45 mins. However, I would normally add in timed step ups along with the lifting. That amount of time would vary, but all in all, I would work out anywhere between 30-60 mins per day.

If you are just starting out though, 20-25 mins total is great. It does take some time (a few weeks to months) before we can usually go for longer. If you feel you are needing more of a challenge, you can always try an additional exercise, add 2 additional reps per set that you do to increase your time, OR try making it more intense by keeping the same time, just increasing the weight used.

I am partial to step ups so I would throw some of those in there too as a form of cardio. It's comparable to running, as I was NOT a runner and didn't ever enjoy it. Later on, I really got into incline treadmill walking, squeeeeezing the glutes every time I took a step.

Best to you! :wink:
  • LiolaLee
    LiolaLee Posts: 3 Member
    SweetAzn wrote: »
    You look amazing! May I ask what a typical strength training workout looks like?
    Travis_2 wrote: »
    That is an impressive transformation

• Dustinado
    Dustinado Posts: 34 Member
    You Rock! What a great job! Inspirational thank you for sharing pics!
  • Healthy67Chick
    Healthy67Chick Posts: 161 Member
    Thank you so much for sharing your story and your YouTube videos!! You are truly my inspiration!!
  • TeresaGoal145lbs
    TeresaGoal145lbs Posts: 57 Member
    Wow, you look great!
  • jassyjan1
    jassyjan1 Posts: 313 Member
    Marvelous job!! You look awesome!!
  • szynka20
    szynka20 Posts: 5 Member
    Hello MFPers!

I am 33 years old and 5'3". I started this difficult journey in Jan of 2014 at 205lbs and I had JUST hit a size 20!!! In Dec 2014, I got down to a size 8 and around 135lbs! I feel great and am loving who I am becoming now! I'm learning a TON and meeting a lot of great people in the process.

I came across MFP in June of last year. I have kept a moderate calorie deficit pretty consistently (500 or so each day), with my carbs and protein around 100g each while lifting weights regularly (in my home with my own collected equipment), 5-6 times/week. I didn't do much cardio, as I don't enjoy it. I do run on occasion though. I feel empowered now and I absolutely LOVE strength training! Planning to take new progress pics at the end of June so I'm looking forward to that. :)

Here is my story so far on realbodiesrealresults.com. Feel free to check it out! :blush:
    realbodiesrealresults.com/gen.html

Best wishes to you all, anything is possible if you don't give up! :heart:

I love your story and photos. I am only starting now. Still don't know what I am doing but I am going to figure this out. Hoping to look half as good as you :-) would you mind to tell me what work outs you do?
  • Brooklyn2Bmore
    Brooklyn2Bmore Posts: 8 Member
    Wow! You are such an inspiration! Great job! Congrats on the baby!!
  • GenElizabeth
    Thanks a ton all! :heart:

I am currently taking a break from logging my food and exercise for now, as I am coming around to finally enjoying pregnancy (20 weeks now and it's a BOY!!!), as the first half was extremely hard for me. I would love to connect with you still though! You can always visit me on Facebook if you'd like, I hope you do! :smile:

https://www.facebook.com/genesiaelizabeth

Best wishes to you all, I'll be around here and there but will be back in full swing again soon enough. :wink:

• GenElizabeth
    Good early morning, MFPers! :smile:

I'm going to be working on a personal FAQ video this week, answering questions I've received regularly from members here at My Fitness Pal, regarding successful weight loss. It's long overdue but I'm still super excited to do it! I've come up with about 12 questions, which seems like a lot to me, but hey, it's what the people apparently want to know! :tongue:

I want to try and get it done this week while I'm feeling motivated. I must take advantage of that! Might do a pregnancy update as well so I hope you guys check it out! :heart:

Have a great Tuesday, ladies... and gents! :wink:

https://youtube.com/c/genelizabeth
  • Larkspur720
    Larkspur720 Posts: 3 Member
    You look absolutely amazing!!!! We have the same body type and ild like to know how you got those legs lol
  • ashley9452
    ashley9452 Posts: 12 Member
    Congratulations!!! I'm so speechless about your weight loss!! Very encouraging!
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Awesome! Thanks for providing the reason to smile...:)
  • Elsaqueen88
    Elsaqueen88 Posts: 5 Member
    Wow! Awesome job ! I wanna ask you about something, what did you do to get rid of stretch marks and cellulite and stuff, I can see your skin looks awesome, I'm worried about that after I lose weight
  • So beautiful and such an inspiration!
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Damn girl! Looking good. Great job! :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!