Women's average THIGH and CALF size! What's yours?

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    WWbuffydo wrote: »
    5ft4
    120lbs
    thigh 22"
    calf 13"

I'm really confused..I don't understand how people taller then me, who weigh quite a bit more, can have thighs smaller then me and their thighs are apparently considered 'thunder thighs'. I mean, people usually tell me that I'm pretty small and I wear a size 8 (Aus) bottoms, which I think is a 4 in the US. I've always known I'm more bottom heavy but I've never really thought my legs were abnormally large and no one has ever told me they were..maybe I've been living a lie all this time haha

Thighs can be shapely from muscle or very lacking in muscle (inner thigh muscle in particular in women, imho). So you can have rockin' thighs that are bigger than someone's that don't have as much muscle, definitely.

I don't know how anyone gets 'thunder thighs' from some of the measurements they've mentioned, either. Some people are going for the runway model look? If someone is tall, they might have long, thin thighs because everything is all stretched out, too.

Probably a proportion thing. If you've got relatively short legs for your height, your legs look thicker than they are. The reverse is true if your legs are relatively long. You can also have similar proportion issues with calves, thighs, and hips. Slimmer hips and calves, then your thighs look bigger if they aren't also on the slim side.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    My legs have always been shapely. I'm glad. I don't find spindly legs attractive. o:)

Calves: 13."
    Thighs: 20"
    Weight:122lbs
    Height: 5'3"
    Body fat: ?
  • dkingdom1
    dkingdom1 Posts: 60 Member
    Calves: 15.5"
    Thighs: 25.5"
    Weight: hovers around 160
    Height: 5"4
    Body fat %: 27%

My Calves are very muscly. My Thighs are huge, but I don't really care about that so much. I am increasingly focusing on my overall health and fitness.
  • WastedGetsSmaller
    WastedGetsSmaller Posts: 41 Member
    What a cool topic :)

5'5
    Thighs: 17
    Calves: 12
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    This is the very first time I've measured my calves and thighs myself, lol. Ok, I have my work scrubs on but I got

5'5"
    Thighs: 21.5"
    Calves: 14"
    Weight: about 137
    body fat, idk
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Losing nearly 20 lbs. and 7% body fat did not change my calf measurement, which is fine with me since I like my muscular calves anyhow. :)

2 years ago, at 144 lbs. (height 5'4")
    Thighs: 21.5"
    Calves: 13.5"
    Body fat: 25%

Currently, at 126ish lbs.
    Thighs: 19.5"
    Calves: 13.5"
    Body fat: 17-18%
  • GIJane003
    GIJane003 Posts: 3 Member
    colpol1 wrote: »
    This post has made me feel better about my calf size, used to think they were huge but now I am thinking normal :) I still want them smaller, but hey ho, that will come in time ( I hope! )

I weigh 11 stone 6
    THIGHS: 26 :(
    CALF: 15.

Okay I never realised my thighs were so huge! =[ well this is the wake up call I needed.
    colpol1 wrote: »
    This post has made me feel better about my calf size, used to think they were huge but now I am thinking normal :) I still want them smaller, but hey ho, that will come in time ( I hope! )

I weigh 11 stone 6
    THIGHS: 26 :(
    CALF: 15.

Okay I never realised my thighs were so huge! =[ well this is the wake up call I needed.
    Jenjaz1910 wrote: »
    I'm 5ft3, 143lbs with 23.5 thighs and 13 calves!! Mine are pretty solid now due to running and playing hockey when I was younger! Don't think there's an average really but I do think genetics play a big part!
    Hi MFPals!

I'm trying to find the average thigh and calf sizes for women online and found nothing substantial to compare myself to. I am bottom heavy and my goal is to fit in regular rain boots but am unsure what the standard calf size is for women. I want a number to set my goals to! Here are my stats:

Calves: 14.25"
    Thighs: 21"
    Weight:117lbs
    Height: 5'3"
    Body fat: 24.5%

Stats from women of all shapes & sizes welcome! Thanks for helping a girl out!

• GIJane003
    GIJane003 Posts: 3 Member
    I measured my thighs today - 27.8 inches. I must have let myself go at some point. I tried on some shorts today and couldn't bear to look at myself in the mirror.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    GIJane003 wrote: »
    I measured my thighs today - 27.8 inches. I must have let myself go at some point. I tried on some shorts today and couldn't bear to look at myself in the mirror.

Are you in the Northern Hemisphere? You won't have to peek till next summer ;) It's the perfect time to be losing, lol.

It's exciting measuring and seeing changes so soon (small at first, but still!), so don't sweat the starting point. I was surprised by my thigh measurement at first, too. I bet we all were :lol:
  • mine are
    thighs:20.5 in
    calf:13.5
    5'2''
    112lbs.
    I've always thought my thigh-calf proportion was wacky, guess not...
  • ReflectivePhase
    ReflectivePhase Posts: 17 Member
    edited January 2016
    I've lost 4" off my thighs they are now 18" and calf are 12". I'm 5'8 and 132lb my legs are long inside leg 32"
  • LaurenGetsFit2
    LaurenGetsFit2 Posts: 35 Member
    I'm sorry for this super late post, and if this has already been addressed, but what did you focus on more: cardio or strength/circuit/resistance?

I've heard adding any muscle to thighs just makes them bigger, while cardio does the "fat burning thing" to get rid of the fat and make thighs smaller.

A while a go I got into great shape--lost lots of weight and the inches disappeared while I was getting into running and Jillian Micheals (guilty pleasure) DVDs. But I can't really remember which of the types of exercise was more effective. At my peak I was 5'2", 100 lbs, and had 18.5 inch thighs and about a 33-34 inch hips.

But then I had a really rough year in college and I gained 20 lbs in 18 months. -_- Now I'm trying to get back into shape and am trying to determine which is the best way to go about it.
  • MeaganKennedy29
    MeaganKennedy29 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2016
    Hello! Oh man, thighs and my arms are my biggest insecurities. I'm not fat at all, but I used to do short distance sprints and I've also as a kid (and even still despite me trying to kick the habit,) walk on my toes a lot! I have a high arch.

I'm 5"3, 145 lbs.
    35" bust
    26" waist
    36" hips
    23" thighs(upper, larger part where it's squishy lol)
    15" calves
    24% body fat according to Doctor(my stats are perfect! Cholesterol great, blood pressure a healthy low, anemic blah.)

Normally wear between a 4-6.

I would love to lean out more and get to about 18% body fat. I think when I was younger, my thighs were around 19" but I also remember going through a really unhealthy period where I barely ate and I was young, pre curves.

Does anyone know ways to thin thighs down? And legs in general. My work out routine is 3-4x a week in the gym where I do cardio 20 min at a time and do speed intervals. 30 sec 8mph, 30 sec 4mph repeat. And then I do weights with arms and leg work outs. Legs once a week and it's not a strenuous leg workout with weights etc. I do it at my apt gym which has less equipment for my old gym. Before, leg day for 30-40 min would kill me and no cardio needed. Now I'm slightly sore and because I have less equipment, I add 10 min of high speed intervals(I heard they burn fat faster and as a prior sprinter, I like it more. I HATE long distance.) I break up 10 min sprints, then weights, then finish with 10 more min sprints. At home about twice a week in addition to my gym work outs I do lots of stretches; leg lifts, leg kicks, contortion stretches, and play with my light Dumbbells. My gym has really heavy weights 30 lbs+ on Dumbbells so I only do 2 handed work outs with them and machines. I have my 5 lbs at home for other stuff.

I have treats because I'm human, but my diet is pretty moderate and healthy most of the time. Good amount of protein, fast food hardly ever, soda never. I have a sweet tooth here and there but I generally don't junk food and crave chips etc.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Thighs 20 1/2"
    Calves 14 1/2"
  • natalie3505
    natalie3505 Posts: 169 Member
    This is really interesting to me as well, because I'm just now beginning my weight loss journey for real, and my thighs are the same as other women of lower weights and same height....their's is prolly more muscle though and I hold fat in my belly for the most part. Yay for me ;) Here are my stats:

5'5"
    165 ish pounds
    Thighs: 18.25 inches

Hope it helps!

• AnnTheGoldfish
    AnnTheGoldfish Posts: 4 Member
    4'8"
    96 lbs
    Thigh: 19.5"
    Calf: 11.5"
    I'm not sure of my body fat percentage.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    7de38f85e9570e11c2c7701aec7990c5.jpg
    n-LEG-570.jpg

Not sure how knowing the average is going to be useful at all given the degree of variation.
  • sharik003
    sharik003 Posts: 2 Member
    Height: 5 ft 5 in
    Weight: 140 lbs
    Body Fat: 26.8%
    Waist: 28 in
    Hips: 34 in
    Thighs: 23.5 in
    Calves: 16 in
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    ProjectTae wrote: »
    5'9
    157lbs
    thigh:25 :(
    calf:14 6/8th
    BF:25-26
    ProjectTae wrote: »
    5'9
    157lbs
    thigh:25 :(
    calf:14 6/8th
    BF:25-26
    Do you mean BMI when you post body fat numbers?

And muscular calves, which may measure larger, look really great - especially if ankles are slender!
  • neha1779
    neha1779 Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2016
    I am 5'5"
    139 lbs
    Thigh: 23.5"
    Calf" 15.25
    My last BF% was 27.7%, but that was 6lbs ago....

Glad to see I am not the only one that can't get her legs into some boots and jeans!

I have almost the same ratio. I am 5'5.
    Thigh: 23 or 24
    Calf : 15.2 or 15.3..
    Ankle : 20.5