Home gyms- child safety

Sorry this is so long but I really have no idea how to child proof a home...

So I'd like to set up a home gym with a power rack,bench, free weights, and maybe one cardio machine so hubs and I can work out at home and save time on gym commute/waits/costs. But I'm pregnant with our first kid and want to make sure the set up will be safe in a home with children.

We can set this up in an empty living room space we have (we have a separate family room that we actually use right now) or set it up in the garage. I'd prefer setting up in the living room since it is currently just empty wasted space right now and I think it will much easier to work out there in the summer when the garage gets hot. We also like parking out cars in the garage, especially since we are getting a new car soon.

However, I am concerned about safety when our kid is a toddler or small child with having the equipment in the home. The living room area is open to the rest of the house so I don't think it will be easy to fence off (but I haven't looked into this so have no idea). Even if we can somehow set up a really big baby gate, will lifting equipment be safe to have around when a child is old enough to get around the gate? Will we be able to teach a kid not to go near the equipment by then?

How can I make sure our child will be safe with the equipment inside the home? Is it even possible? Should I just set up in the garage where I can lock the door and make the area off limits to kids? If we go with the garage then we will probably make the living room a huge play area for the kid until she is older and we can get nice living room furniture.

Replies

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Good for you for thinking ahead! I have a rack set-up in our basement right next to my daughter's play area. The older child (9) knows not to go anywhere near it. The younger (almost 2) is always supervised, but I'm not that worried about it at her age. She's not going to be able to move a 45-lb olympic bar enough to where it could hurt her. Just make sure the equipment is racked and/or put away safely when you're not using it. And use common sense... don't put smaller weights (that a child could potentially move) at a height where they could reach them and drop them on themselves, etc.
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Thanks for the reply! Do the children have access to the basement normally when you're not down there? I'm a little worried about when the kid is maybe 5 or 6 and might be running around at home without someone always watching their every move but not old enough to know not to mess with grown up equipment. But I have no idea how heavy of a weight they might be able to unrack and drop on their feet etc.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    LazyFoodie wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply! Do the children have access to the basement normally when you're not down there? I'm a little worried about when the kid is maybe 5 or 6 and might be running around at home without someone always watching their every move but not old enough to know not to mess with grown up equipment. But I have no idea how heavy of a weight they might be able to unrack and drop on their feet etc.

The 9 year old does, but not the toddler.
    I think you can always refine your child-proofing strategy as your child grows. It won't be an issue for several years and by then you may have moved, or decide to move the set-up into the garage, etc.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    I would put it in the living space instead of the garage. Kids get used to what they see on a regular basis and it becomes less interesting to them as time goes on. Obviously you'll supervise when the child is younger but by age 5/6 I wouldn't worry about it. I'm not sure how you plan to store everything but, FWIW, I don't usually leave weight on the bar on my squat stands. My plates are on the floor next to them. So there's not a risk of somebody pulling it over onto her head.

More than likely, it will be other kids who are more interested in your stuff and the easiest thing to do when those kids are over is to block access to your equipment.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Make sure to always unrack the bar and if the rack has a spot to store the bar then make sure to use that. If you have a small plate tree or something just make sure the plates are securely in there. The 45lb and 25lb are probably not an issue but a 2.5, 5, or 10 can hurt. If you can stick them all on one peg at put a small collar at the end (assuming it fit snug) that may help. Those floor plate storages may not be a bad idea because at least the plates won't fall on little feet if they're grabbed. Kids are slippery at times and may get into something you don't want them in before you know it. :)
  • LazyFoodie
    Thanks for the suggestions! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy for wanting to set up a gym in an area that kids can access.
  • jemhh
    Thanks for the suggestions! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy for wanting to set up a gym in an area that kids can access.

No you are not crazy. Life goes on, even with kids :) You're not going to be able to remove every hint of danger in their lives, nor should you try to.

Congrats on the baby, btw.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member

So I'd like to set up a home gym with a power rack,bench, free weights, and maybe one cardio machine so hubs and I can work out at home and save time on gym commute/waits/costs. But I'm pregnant with our first kid and want to make sure the set up will be safe in a home with children.

We can set this up in an empty living room space we have (we have a separate family room that we actually use right now) or set it up in the garage. I'd prefer setting up in the living room since it is currently just empty wasted space right now and I think it will much easier to work out there in the summer when the garage gets hot. We also like parking out cars in the garage, especially since we are getting a new car soon.

However, I am concerned about safety when our kid is a toddler or small child with having the equipment in the home. The living room area is open to the rest of the house so I don't think it will be easy to fence off (but I haven't looked into this so have no idea). Even if we can somehow set up a really big baby gate, will lifting equipment be safe to have around when a child is old enough to get around the gate? Will we be able to teach a kid not to go near the equipment by then?

How can I make sure our child will be safe with the equipment inside the home? Is it even possible? Should I just set up in the garage where I can lock the door and make the area off limits to kids? If we go with the garage then we will probably make the living room a huge play area for the kid until she is older and we can get nice living room furniture.

As a mother of 3 kids and as someone who exercises regularly, gym equipment and young kids do not mix, unless your gym equippment is just a yoga mat. The home gym will need to be in a separate area. A room with a door that closes, basement etc. Living room, no way. It is an accident waiting to happen.
    Also I would not do this while pregnant, especially if it will require money and time. You cannot use a power rack while pregnant (at least not start using one) and you do not know what you will want after the baby is born. Nothing can prepare you. You might roll your eyes at the idea of lifting for the next years, you might want this area as a quiet area to nurse and relax, or as a safe area for your baby to crawl around. Or you might still love the convenience of having a home gym. But you cannot predict.
    A lot of things sounded like good ideas before having kids. Most parents to be have it all sorted it out. And then the actual child arrivis and plans just change ;)
  • jemhh
    aggelikik wrote: »

As a mother of 3 kids and as someone who exercises regularly, gym equipment and young kids do not mix, unless your gym equippment is just a yoga mat. The home gym will need to be in a separate area. A room with a door that closes, basement etc. Living room, no way. It is an accident waiting to happen.
    Also I would not do this while pregnant, especially if it will require money and time. You cannot use a power rack while pregnant (at least not start using one) and you do not know what you will want after the baby is born. Nothing can prepare you. You might roll your eyes at the idea of lifting for the next years, you might want this area as a quiet area to nurse and relax, or as a safe area for your baby to crawl around. Or you might still love the convenience of having a home gym. But you cannot predict.
    A lot of things sounded like good ideas before having kids. Most parents to be have it all sorted it out. And then the actual child arrivis and plans just change ;)

She said that the living area is separate from the family room.

Why can't she use a power rack while pregnant?

As for plans changing once you have kids...don't plans change all of the time? I don't see how the choice in fitness equipment would change depending on kids. I don't see the connection at all.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    I would plan to move the equipment to the garage once your child can crawl. Kids can injure themselves in all kinds of unexpected ways, so don't be adding weights and bars to the list of things to worry about.
  • LazyFoodie
    edited November 2015
    I was lifting, stopped after getting pregnant, and plan to start again as soon as I'm healthy enough after delivery. I also have a spouse that lifts and could use it now. We both plan on keeping up with working out after having kids. Might not be something we look forward to doing always but I think its important to keep healthy. I think it will be easier for us as new parents if we have equipment at home. The hubs already has 9 hour days with a long commute so on days he goes to the gym, we eat dinner pretty late and then its bed time. I don't think that will work when we have a kid.

And I'm thinking about the logistics and set up now because if I see a good deal on equipment for black friday/ cyber monday, I'd like to get it while its discounted. I heard Rogue Fitness has black friday deals. Plus, my gym membership just expired so I have to decide whether I want to shell out the money to do a new membership prepaid for 2 years or go the home gym route.

The suggestion that we could move the equipment makes sense. Maybe we can gate off the area when the kid is young and then depending on how well behaved she is as she grows older, we can always it move to the garage if its not safe inside.
  • jemhh
    Yeah, I would just gate it off. Baby gates make things very easy IMO. We use the room in our house that would be a sitting room or dining room as a dog room. We have wall-mounted baby gates, stained to match the woodwork, in each doorway. Dogs are not exercise equipment but "childproofing" by blocking unsupervised access/interaction is the same and the gates are a perfect solution.
  • LKArgh
    edited November 2015
    jemhh wrote: »

As for plans changing once you have kids...don't plans change all of the time? I don't see how the choice in fitness equipment would change depending on kids. I don't see the connection at all.

I would not add any new routine (or new equipment) to a fitness routine when pregnant. I doubt any dr would consider this a good idea.
    Even if she is already lifting, I am guessing that no one uses a power rack for 2 kg dumbbells. And I would consider that the risk of e.g. bench press with a reasonable weight, while pregnant, by far outweighs any potential benefits.

As for how things change after pregnancy, honestly, I have never met a single parent of a toddler who did not just roll their eyes at their pre-kids self about all the things they thought parenthood would be about. To state a very simple example, what is now a theoretical risk for OP that might seem exaggerated (kid messing with weights), might be so obviously out of the question after the baby is born that she will be wondering what she was thinking. In the OP, this is mentioned : "Will we be able to teach a kid not to go near the equipment by then? " and later "we can gate off the area when the kid is young and then depending on how well behaved she is as she grows older, we can always it move". I understand the thought process, it is something I would have thought reasonable before having kids. But, as a parent of an actual kid, just the thought of "teaching" a toddler or preschooler not to touch something they have access to? It makes me smile ;) A "well behaved" 2 year old who will actually be taught to not touch a power rack in her playing space? Right...
  • LKArgh
    I was lifting, stopped after getting pregnant, and plan to start again as soon as I'm healthy enough after delivery. I also have a spouse that lifts and could use it now. We both plan on keeping up with working out after having kids. Might not be something we look forward to doing always but I think its important to keep healthy. I think it will be easier for us as new parents if we have equipment at home. The hubs already has 9 hour days with a long commute so on days he goes to the gym, we eat dinner pretty late and then its bed time. I don't think that will work when we have a kid.

And I'm thinking about the logistics and set up now because if I see a good deal on equipment for black friday/ cyber monday, I'd like to get it while its discounted. I heard Rogue Fitness has black friday deals. Plus, my gym membership just expired so I have to decide whether I want to shell out the money to do a new membership prepaid for 2 years or go the home gym route.

The suggestion that we could move the equipment makes sense. Maybe we can gate off the area when the kid is young and then depending on how well behaved she is as she grows older, we can always it move to the garage if its not safe inside.

Do not renew your membership right now for 2 years. If you want to renew it, go by month. You might find out you will never go to the gym while your child is a baby. I am not saying you will never exercise, but depending how things are regarding schedules, medical complications etc, you cannot predict.
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    The room I have my lifting equipment and two other exercise machines in has a hook and latch on the outside. When my grand daughter gets old enough to reach the latch, I'll install a lock.
  • jemhh
    jemhh wrote: »

I would not add any new routine (or new equipment) to a fitness routine when pregnant. I doubt any dr would consider this a good idea.
    Even if she is already lifting, I am guessing that no one uses a power rack for 2 kg dumbbells. And I would consider that the risk of e.g. bench press with a reasonable weight, while pregnant, by far outweighs any potential benefits.

As for how things change after pregnancy, honestly, I have never met a single parent of a toddler who did not just roll their eyes at their pre-kids self about all the things they thought parenthood would be about. To state a very simple example, what is now a theoretical risk for OP that might seem exaggerated (kid messing with weights), might be so obviously out of the question after the baby is born that she will be wondering what she was thinking. In the OP, this is mentioned : "Will we be able to teach a kid not to go near the equipment by then? " and later "we can gate off the area when the kid is young and then depending on how well behaved she is as she grows older, we can always it move". I understand the thought process, it is something I would have thought reasonable before having kids. But, as a parent of an actual kid, just the thought of "teaching" a toddler or preschooler not to touch something they have access to? It makes me smile ;) A "well behaved" 2 year old who will actually be taught to not touch a power rack in her playing space? Right...

Again, she said that the living space where the rack would be is separate from the family room. It's not in the child's play space and it sounds like it could be blocked off.

I have a child. I've never rolled my eyes at my pre-child self's parenting ideas other than how my concept of "busy" has changed. We never found a need to super baby proof or make our home void of all smidgen of danger.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    I'm just going to say that I know several women who lifted all through their pregnancy with their doctors approval. Of course they had to make modifications to their routine, especially as they progressed, but in several cases, their doctors actually encouraged and not just approved as more muscle control/stronger muscles ultimately made the birth easier for these women. None of them lifted alone or dangerously and have since continued their routines.

Everyone is different in what they feel comfortable doing, and every doctor will give the advice they think is best, and what you think is best might be best for you but not everyone else. Every case is unique.

As for OP's questions, almost every new parent I've ever met has had these types of questions. Talk to friends, do your research... ultimately you learn as you go. After the first child, you learn an awful lot and things change. No parenting guide covers all situations and ultimately it's up to you to make the decisions you think are best for you and your child.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    As additional child proofing you could use long, re-usable zip ties to secure smaller weights to the plate tree and secure the bar to the j-hooks. The term aren't childproof but they are an added safety barrier to look into.

This is assuming to you are better than me and can actually operate the re-usable ones without cutters. :smile:
  • sarahharas5
    sarahharas5 Posts: 256 Member
    I don't think the living room is a bad idea since it won't be the baby's play area.

I have a 5 and 3 year old. I don't think my 3 year old would stay away if told but if there was a gate blocking him it wouldn't be an issue. My 5 year old is old enough to listen and would know to stay away. I have weights in my basement now and after the initial interest they really don't care. They only think its cool to watch me and tell me I'm so strong! If anything, at this point I think I'm being a good role model.

There are plenty of things that are dangerous to babies and children in your house. As a parent, you should just make sure you're making as safe of an environment as possible. It sounds like that's what you're trying to do. So if you have the go ahead from your doctor, go for it!