Binging

Ok so I'm getting the feeling that a lot of people eat small amounts of foods they like.

So how do you stop yourself from binging on it? I feel like once I take a bite of something I like, I just want to eat it all. I.E. if I had a spoon of ice cream I end up eating half the pint!

Replies

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I get sucked into mindless eating. Once I take a bit I have to go and do something else to keep my mind off taking another bite. I've even gone to bed at 7pm just to keep myself from over eating. It's all in your control. Find what works for you.
  • xosarahduh
    xosarahduh Posts: 24 Member
    It's so hard sometimes to control myself at times so I try not to keep it around, but I can't stop others from having it):
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    edited November 2015
    I had to stop bringing pints of ice cream into the house. I'm ok with the 4 ounce mini cups, which don't come in my former binge flavors.

With other things I'm ok if I weigh out one serving and put the package away.

I'm ok with 15 gram Ghiradelli chocolate squares, but larger size chocolate bars are hard for me. The uncompleted package calls me.
  • yardprincess
    yardprincess Posts: 42 Member
    I have a little trick I do that might help you - might not... when I feel the need to eat more than I know I should of something, I get a drink of water - and drink it ALL, so my stomach feels full. Then I take ONE more portion of that delicious thing I want to eat way too much of, put it in a bowl or cup or whatever, then I PUT THE REST AWAY... like AWAY in the pantry, cupboard, fridge or where ever it belongs. Then I go back to my little portion and eat it slowly savoring every bite, by the time I'm done with it, the craving is gone. This usually works 90% of the time, unless it's a hormonal craving (like chocolate once a month) then I just give in... :) Good luck!
  • cassique
    cassique Posts: 164 Member
    edited November 2015
    I let myself have that spoonful of ice cream, I put the pint away and log the spoonful. Before I go for more, I make sure I log it again. That way I can decide if the calories are worth it. I find it easier to resist the urge to finish it off when I force myself to stop and log the calories first. I gave in to a late night craving tonight that brought me over my calorie limit for the day. But I did it with full awareness--logging before I ate. And it allowed me to satisfy my craving without binging.

I think a big roadblock is if you have an all or nothing approach. Like if you tell yourself that you are already over your calories you might as well go whole hog. That is a mistake. Sometimes you will be over calories--it happens. It doesn't mean you failed. As long as you are logging and being mindful you will find it easier to reach your goals, even if it means some days you go over.
  • kshama2001
    Yup, prelogging and eating slowly/savoring are very good tips :)
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Sometimes I'll indulge.

For me, knowing i had only x amounts of calories to use in a day and y hours until my next calorie reset, i figured I'd rather not empty my calorie budget all on something calorie dense but less filing. I don't like to go hungry until my next reset , but it happens sometimes. You live you learn.

Now i just have smaller portions of the calorie dense things, unless ive met all my macro/micros for the day/week.

If macros/micros are met, I'll eat whatever and however much of whatever to meet my calorie goal.
  • talismanicmagic
    talismanicmagic Posts: 36 Member
    Buying single serve!! Haha I can't resist potato crisps....I will devour a whole bag if given the chance! I either don't buy them at all or if I do I buy a single serve, I get my fix without needing to binge.
  • cressar
    cressar Posts: 7 Member
    I find that if I don't eat enough "treats" during the day then by night time I become almost like a monster in t he kitchen.. eating thousands of calories on high carb foods. I think maybe it's more of a routine now...
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    If there is a food that i cannot stop myself eating with willpower then i don't keep it around. period.

It can be nice to pre-portion stuff like chips, etc. But ice cream is one of those things that if i buy a pint i will eat it in one sitting.

Either make room for it in your calories, gather more will power, or don't keep it around.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I remind myself of what I have accomplished and what I want to accomplish in the future. 99% of the time, that means more to me than continuing to eat more.
  • xosarahduh
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    If there is a food that i cannot stop myself eating with willpower then i don't keep it around. period.

It can be nice to pre-portion stuff like chips, etc. But ice cream is one of those things that if i buy a pint i will eat it in one sitting.

Either make room for it in your calories, gather more will power, or don't keep it around.

My problem is my roommate will keep it around if I don't. ):
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    xosarahduh wrote: »

If my husband brings something into the house that I prefer not to eat, I just remind myself that it's his. It isn't mine. I don't know if this would work for you, but it's worth a try.
  • kshama2001

Can your roommate keep your trigger foods out of your sight? For example, put ice cream in the back of the freezer, wrapped in an opaque bag?
  • kshama2001
    cressar wrote: »
    I find that if I don't eat enough "treats" during the day then by night time I become almost like a monster in t he kitchen.. eating thousands of calories on high carb foods. I think maybe it's more of a routine now...

Lol, I'm the opposite. If I know that I am saving treats for after dinner, and eating sufficient protein in relationship to carbs, I have no psychological or physiological urge for treats during the day.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited November 2015

Stay out of the kitchen. Keep yourself busy in other areas of your house/apartment. Get a hobby. Go for a walk, etc.

Portion out everything you choose to eat. Don't grab a pint of ice cream and take it and a spoon to your couch. Scoop out a portion, and put the rest back. Take a handful of chips, and put the rest back.

Make a new rule...you don't eat roommate's food and he/she doesn't eat yours.

There are many solutions here available to someone who really wants to find one.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 427 Member
    I dont know how you can accurately log if you are just taking spoonfulls. If I am going to eat something, I weigh it out, log it, then put the rest away :) Being diligent in prelogging is what keeps me on track. Recognizing what your habits are can be an eye opening experience during your weight loss "journey". I used to mindlessly eat, and would eat out of boredom. When I started logging I recognized those patterns and habits and am starting to break them. I still have moments where I fall back into old habits (Yesterday I bought and scarfed down 2 donuts even tho I was already at my calorie limit), but I just log it and move on. Self-control is a muscle you need to exercise, and it will get stronger over time! :)

Also, Dreyer's (Edy's) and Ben and Jerry's sell little single serve ice creams :) Just don't eat more than one! haha
  • xosarahduh
    I dont know how you can accurately log if you are just taking spoonfulls. If I am going to eat something, I weigh it out, log it, then put the rest away :) Being diligent in prelogging is what keeps me on track. Recognizing what your habits are can be an eye opening experience during your weight loss "journey". I used to mindlessly eat, and would eat out of boredom. When I started logging I recognized those patterns and habits and am starting to break them. I still have moments where I fall back into old habits (Yesterday I bought and scarfed down 2 donuts even tho I was already at my calorie limit), but I just log it and move on. Self-control is a muscle you need to exercise, and it will get stronger over time! :)

Also, Dreyer's (Edy's) and Ben and Jerry's sell little single serve ice creams :) Just don't eat more than one! haha

Lol yeah I'd probably eat 4.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Yup, prelogging and eating slowly/savoring are very good tips :)

Prelogging and will power are the keys for me! Sometimes will power fails but its helpful in learning about yourself and whats going to work for you.