Hashimotos and weight loss

Hi, I have 28 lbs of Hashimotos weight gain to lose, it's been a struggle for the last few years even though I eat a clean diet.

Does anyone else have any tried and tested tips?

Thank you :)

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Use a food scale. Best tip ever.
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    I'm with the above poster. Use a scale and be mindful of portion sizes. It has helped me tons. We all are different but I believe that this is one of the keys in losing weight. Feel free to add me if you like. I'm trying to maintain right now but I have Hashimotos and know how hard the journey can be. :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Measure your portions, log and track your calories. I love my food scale and measuring cups. I have Hashimoto's too.
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    I agree measure and track. Look for trends in eating that make you go up and down. Its hard but doable - be gentle with yourself.
  • IrshRnr56
    IrshRnr56 Posts: 47 Member
    I've been able to lose weight since June by limiting carbs to mostly veggies and fruits. There are times when I'll have some crackers with soup but by and large, the weight loss has been steady and quick.

The hunger goes away within 2 days but there's usually the 4:00pm hunger that I tame with coffee and an apple or yogurt. Plenty of lean proteins in 3oz portions helped a lot!

I've been on Synthroid since 1989!!
  • redrhi120
    redrhi120 Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks for that reply. I do eat a low carb diet but I haven't limited them completely, I'll give that a go. One of the reasons I am on here is so I can monitor my food intake more appropriately.

I'm not medicated, I've managed my condition with diet and supplements
  • redrhi120
    Thank you everyone, I really appreciate your replies. I need to make a few tweaks I think. I know I'm not great with grains but I do have the occasional gluten free bread. I went gluten free two years ago and it's made a huge difference to my health
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    I will also mention one thing that helped me was cuttinh my sugar intake. When i eliminated a lot of sugar, the pounds fell off. :)
  • redrhi120
    Ok...watch this space...I'm determined and motivated
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    edited November 2015
    Log everything that goes into your mouth. Stay within a calorie goal. If you still gain or don't lose, use the food scale. If that doesn't work, cut your calorie goal and/or exercise more. Repeat as necessary.
  • Sweetdelights45
    Sweetdelights45 Posts: 1 Member
    Just started back today to track my food intake, at my heavyest weight yet. I have hashimoto's, and no will power to cut out sugar. Please remind to to keep tracking & measuring my food.