Cardio or strength first?

I always do 30 minutes of cardio before weights. Is this good or bad?

Replies

• riveragirl15
    riveragirl15 Posts: 48 Member
    I think it depends on how intensely you do your cardio. Usually people prefer it to after, because they get tired while lifting weights.

Scientifically speaking you should do cardio AFTER lifting weights.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-cardio-before-or-after-weights.html

"To achieve "shreddedness," your body needs to use your stored fat as fuel for exercise. In order to do this, you must burn off your glycogen stores first. When you weight-train, you typically use glycogen as fuel. By doing weight-training first, you can burn the majority of your glycogen stores. Knocking out your cardio after you crush the weights will burn more fat!"

There are many articles online that will tell you more!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Depends on what you are trying to accomplish.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited November 2015
    I think it depends on how intensely you do your cardio. Usually people prefer it to after, because they get tired while lifting weights.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-cardio-before-or-after-weights.html

"To achieve "shreddedness," your body needs to use your stored fat as fuel for exercise. In order to do this, you must burn off your glycogen stores first. When you weight-train, you typically use glycogen as fuel. By doing weight-training first, you can burn the majority of your glycogen stores. Knocking out your cardio after you crush the weights will burn more fat!"

The bold parts are absolute nonsense.
    If you had ever "bonked" or "hit the wall" you would know that should you actually burn off all your glycogen stores exercise is the last thing you will be capable of.

All you need to burn fat is a calorie deficit.

@kcbaby28
    OP - there is no context in your question.
    What is your 30 minutes cardio?
    What is your weights routine?
    What are your goals and restrictions?
    What do you enjoy?

• kcbaby28
    kcbaby28 Posts: 4 Member
    Strep/elliptical
    Strength workouts for my back and abs
    My goals are to lose 10 pounds and add definition
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    kcbaby28 wrote: »
    Strep/elliptical
    Strength workouts for my back and abs
    My goals are to lose 10 pounds and add definition

In that case would say do what you enjoy. Won't really matter and if you feel the warm up from the cardio helps and doesn't hinder your back and abs work then go for it.
    Just more wiping down of benches or mats!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member

Unfortunately, most of them will be as wrong as "the ripped dude". For the average person, exercise order will have little or no impact on anything. It's a matter of personal preference.