Hunger, depression & calorie restriction?

That's a pretty loaded title so let me explain - I'm hoping maybe someone else understands what I'm saying or going through.
Since last Friday I've been incredibly hungry. No matter what I eat, how much I eat ect, I'm hungry. I've been keeping track of my calories like I always do and am trying to stay in my target range. I've also started to show signs of depression, which, now that we're getting into winter, I'm not overly surprised. Just really tired and things on the news make me sad (and I work in news -- so they normally don't haha).
This happened about 2 years ago as well and eventually went away on its own, so again, I'm not super concerned, because I've been through it. I read an article that said calorie restriction can sometimes bring on depression and other symptoms. I wasn't restricting but I had cut down and eating really well and making sure I have a deficit every day. Anyway, now I'm rambling. Has anyone else experienced this or something similar? I'd just like to know I'm not totally crazy.

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    The hunger and sadness could be hormone related. When it's near that TOM for me, I can eat everything in the house. Also, look into seasonal affective disorder. I'm having major issues with that now, and just started taking zoloft to help.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I think you were a bear in your former life. JK.

When I complained to my daughter this fall about these very symptoms, she suggested it could be SAD. You could try starting your morning under a Very Bright Light and see if that makes a difference.
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    SAD is a very real thing.... it's from a lack of vitamin D. Start taking a supplement and it should help at least for me it does.

I get how dieting can be depressing.. all you do is think about how hungry you are and fixate on food. I just always try to tell myself cheeseburgers will still be there when I'm on maintenance or that I can have one periodically and it's ok.
  • crashleyw
    crashleyw Posts: 9 Member
    I wouldn't say I was dieting or depressed over that. I eat well and yes I get lots of protein. I do take vitamins but I'll look at increasing my vit d for a bit and see if that helps. Thanks!!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    How aggressive is your calorie goal? Maybe you simply need some more calories to work with.

Your profile says you have 5 lbs. to lose. I don't know if that's a mini-goal or the "whole" goal. If that is all you have to lose, your goal should be set to lose no more than .5 lb/week.
  • crashleyw
    crashleyw Posts: 9 Member
    It's not very aggressive at all. And before all this started happening last week, I wasn't abnormally hungry - everything was 'normal'.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    crashleyw wrote: »
    It's not very aggressive at all. And before all this started happening last week, I wasn't abnormally hungry - everything was 'normal'.

Are you close to that TOM?
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    crashleyw wrote: »

You mentioned things in the news -- and it's all bad these days, it seems. Like, really bad. :'(

Maybe this is just a time of 'disequilibrium' in your life and it will even out. In the meantime, do what you can to create a feeling of peace. Read a good book, stay away from the laptop as much as you can, watch a funny movie, call up an old friend, etc.

As far as eating, you could always take a diet break and eat at maintenance for a couple days or weeks. It may give you the mental lift you're looking for. Then you can resume with renewed energy.

• klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    I resort to chocolate, cheese and hugs and that helps me, but I do live where it is sunny all the time.
  • runrascal
    runrascal Posts: 53 Member
    not just sunshine. Do live in a latitude where the day length shortens noticeably in winter? reduction in actual daylight is the problem not simply sunshine. It is unnatural to be getting up in darkness and then staying out of bed long after dark by using artificial light and if you are susceptible to SAD you are going to notice this makes you feel out of kilter with life. Using a special light that mimics daylight instead of just your usual electric lamp might help.
  • symafiza
    symafiza Posts: 16 Member
    I feel the same it's as though it's all getting a bit too much. I have 3kg left to lose and 4weeks to do it. I don't think it's gonna happen. My family has began to tell me I look ill. Am I not supposed to look fresh and alive and supposed to be more energetic
  • symafiza
    symafiza Posts: 16 Member
    I feel like this :(:(:(
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    I feel like this as well. It's not the season. Normally I look forward to winter and the longer nights (I much like heading to work in the dark for some reason). It's summer I dread.

I have been upping my calorie intake to no avail, hopefully some light will be shed here.