Walk 10,000 steps daily.

Hi need a little motivation I am going to try to do minimum of 7,000 steps daily but hopefully reach 10,000. Will check in to advise how many steps I have done

Replies

• marymbradford18
    marymbradford18 Posts: 21 Member
    You can do it! 10,000 steps isn't as far as you think
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Put your tracker on first thing in the am. Steps add up fast.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    edited November 2015
    Yes! You can do this! And it feels great... Once you get to 10k a day easily consider 100k a week.
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    10k is not that hard to do daily just every hour check your steps and if you haven't moved for a while take a brief walk to the printer get a glass of water do some lunges you can do it
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    pace around when watching tv, park further away etc, it all adds up

I walk up and down, in and out of the super market aisles
  • sloughj
    sloughj Posts: 11 Member
    Yesterday only did 8,200 today even worse 4,000 .Help I will try harder.As soon as I start doing any form of exercise I get severe migraine. Will try harder
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Is there a thread for..."funny things you'll do to reach your step goal''?

When I am short on steps...

I put the laundry basket on one side of the bed and walk around the bed folding a piece of clothing and then pile the clothes on the opposite side. Then I walk back and get a new piece.

My laundry is almost always neat and tidy now that I have a Fitbit!

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I always find it hard to believe that people don't reach their step goal of 10,000 steps a day. An instructor measured his gym class once - 45 minutes of cardio activity - and it was equal to 10,000 steps. And that's without doing anything else all day!

I used to walk over a mile - each way - to the gym plus I'd walk to the subway and would do errands, etc.
  • ShrinkingKerrie
    ShrinkingKerrie Posts: 339 Member
    edited November 2015
    I put a pedometer on the other day and in 25 mins I had done nearly 3000 steps! But I got sick of taking it on and off when I was driving etc so it didn't pick up anything as a Step lol.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    45 minutes of cardio for 10,000 steps would have to be pretty intense, and the OP said intense exercise provokes migraines. I get those, too, though not usually from exercise.

Adding to the list of odd things people do to reach their step goals...I have a futon and a big living room. Walking around the futon once is twenty steps. Walking around it 5 times is 100, and 50 times is 1000. While I'm cleaning I put in 10 reps around the futon for every 10 things I put away. My house is quite clean these days...and my goal is 12,000 a day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Kullerva wrote: »
    Adding to the list of odd things people do to reach their step goals...I have a futon and a big living room. Walking around the futon once is twenty steps. Walking around it 5 times is 100, and 50 times is 1000. While I'm cleaning I put in 10 reps around the futon for every 10 things I put away. My house is quite clean these days...and my goal is 12,000 a day.

I take public transportation to work -- walk about half a mile to the stop from home (and then another half mile on the way home), but the stop is less than a block from my office. There and back plus normal walking about on a rest day won't get me to 10,000, so if I don't have other errands planned that will I will often walk to or from a farther away stop on the way home. That's not the odd thing -- the odd thing is that I'm trying to train myself to see a long wait time on the way home as an opportunity, not a bummer, and happily pace back and forth across the platform when waiting without feeling self-conscious. It works pretty well!
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    bri170lb wrote: »
    Is there a thread for..."funny things you'll do to reach your step goal''?

When I am short on steps...

I put the laundry basket on one side of the bed and walk around the bed folding a piece of clothing and then pile the clothes on the opposite side. Then I walk back and get a new piece.

My laundry is almost always neat and tidy now that I have a Fitbit!

I thought I was the only one! I totally do the laundry trick :) *high five*
  • TriciaSmith2015
    TriciaSmith2015 Posts: 66 Member
    I have door duty at my school, and not many parents come in through my door. I'm there for half an hour at drop off and another 20 minutes at dismissal. I end up pacing in the vestibule in between students arriving.
  • 111grace
    111grace Posts: 382 Member
    Hi I am going to try to make 2000 and work my way up. 10000 is mad crazy moves for me right now looking forward to having a really healthy life one day. I normally don't have pockets on me all day so what are the creative ways you keep it on you? my counter is on my cell phone.
  • JESICALOVESCLAY
    JESICALOVESCLAY Posts: 4 Member
    111grace wrote: »
    Hi I am going to try to make 2000 and work my way up. 10000 is mad crazy moves for me right now looking forward to having a really healthy life one day. I normally don't have pockets on me all day so what are the creative ways you keep it on you? my counter is on my cell phone.

I bought a misfit. You can even wear it as a necklace. This has encouraged me to walk more. As the day ends I know if I need to step it up, or if I have already met my goal.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    If I'm short of 10000 then I literally pace around my living room and turn on music :D

All the little things add up, aim for 10000 but don't beat yourself up if you don't reach it every day. Focus on the bigger picture, you're making positive changes in your life. Good luck!
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    111grace wrote: »

I started around 3000 steps a day, and now I'm up to 5000. I tried 6000 for a week, and forget about it - for now. Considering that this time last year I was barely able to stand, I'm quite pleased with the progress. Do what you can do. Don't be discouraged by people who say it shouldn't be a problem to do 10000. You know if you're doing your best or if you're making excuses.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    64crayons wrote: »
    Do what you can do. Don't be discouraged by people who say it shouldn't be a problem to do 10000. You know if you're doing your best or if you're making excuses.

I totally agree. This time last year I could barely move. Every little bit adds up! Now I can do things I never thought I would ever do.

Remember...there are people who are sitting on their couches doing nothing, so if you are doing 1000 or 2000 steps, or whatever, you are a SUPERSTAR!

• CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,842 Member
    When I get close to 10,000 in the evening, I get up and walk during commercials on TV. I also walk from the corner of my kitchen to corner of my living room.