What do you guys do to stop yourself from eating when you aren't hungry?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Play video games. Hard to eat when hands are being occupied.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Play video games. Hard to eat when hands are being occupied.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

That's exactly what I was going to say.

I can eat all the radioactive meat I want in game :smiley:
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    I just don't eat. If I'm not hungry, I don't eat food.
  • runrascal
    runrascal Posts: 53 Member
    Maybe slightly off topic but I found myself standing at the fridge the other night saying "I want something to eat but I'm not hungry - it's not fair." and very sadly I walked away. Maybe my eating habit is getting better!
  • Itisibigj39
    Itisibigj39 Posts: 200 Member
    Play my PS4
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    I try not to snack as little bites of things activates my hunger although I know it works for other people.

I stick to 3 planned meals and have just told myself "I don't snack and eat between meals". I just don't do it, its not a thing I do - not negotiable. Changing my thinking has really helped me so that I don't need to negotiate and ponder over it - it is just a thing I no longer do, in the same was a vegan will tell you that they do not eat meat - not sometimes, not just when they feel like it - they don't. Ever.

With the option to snack eliminated, I need to deal with occasional hunger and tea, coffee (I don't take sugar so its an almost zero calorie option) and lots of water works for this. I am also less likely to be hungry when I am busy so I do my best to avoid boredom.

I leave my bag in the trunk of my car when I visit places where snacks and treats are easy to buy, as an added strategy. This works very well at the movies. I buy my ticket online and don't take any money or cards with me so that I am unable to buy from the concessions.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    When I have one of those days it usually makes itself known early, so I prepare for this by allocating calories to items that take a long time to eat. 50 grams of unshelled sunflower seeds takes me about an hour and a half to eat and costs about 130 calories. Half a scoop of protein powder + 3/4 cups of semi skimmed milk + xanathan gum and whatever flavoring I feel like having (usually it's a bit of vanilla extract or mango flavoring) makes a huge bowl of protein fluff that I eat slowly with a dessert spoon for another 150 calories. A large head of lettuce that I slowly peel and munch on is also a snack that keeps me occupied for a while. Lots of tea and some coffee (chai tea with semi skimmed milk and a couple of splendas is one of the more satisfying variations).

Basically, I allocate about 1/3 of my daily calories for snacks that take a long time to eat, and by the time the day is over my calories are either spot on or only a slightly higher than I planned for. The keys is to eat slowly and enjoy every bite/sip.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    I try not to snack during the day as that just seems to trigger a desire to continue snacking. I've found that by increasing protein and fat earlier in the day I don't get hungry as frequently. I also have a huge salad for dinner, sometimes that's all I have for dinner or before I eat the rest of dinner. It's hard to fill up on more calorie dense food when I've had a huge salad. This is useful for pizza night. If left to my own devices on pizza night I could easily eat the entire pizza, but by having salad first I can only eat 2 or 3 slices. I also log all treats in my snack section in my food diary, I can quickly see what I've eaten and it helps to keep me more accountable. I also don't keep snack food (other than fruits and veggies) in the house. If I want something to munch on, I either have to go to the store or make it myself which is convenient because I tend to want to aimlessly eat in the evenings before bed. Odds are I'm not going to want to cook (don't really use the microwave) and I'm also not going to want to change out of pajamas to go to the store.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I struggle with this too, but for me it helps to just decide to stick to the meal plan - four delicious, balanced meals every day - I'm including plenty of fruit, vegetables, protein and fat, all the food I love, in due time, and that's all I need. I plan for some sweet stuff regularly, but not too often - for instance pancakes w/sweet fillings every other Saturday, tapioca pudding w/maple syrup as dessert sometimes if I have soup for dinner. My smoothies are sweet enough from banana. Between meals, I will only drink water, tea and coffee. This is what I really want! It's working well, as long as I do it. But I can't just want to do it, I have to do it.

Included in the meal plan is a running inventory of fridge, freezer and pantry. Whenever I need to buy food, I write a list of what I need, bring it and stick to it. I cook my own meals as far as I'm capable of.

I don't buy "treats" and don't linger in front of those shelves in the grocery store either.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Being on a calorie allowance of 1200 a day means I don't have the option of eating when I'm not hungry loll
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    One thing that works for me is to weigh out things i'm considering eating. I just had my breakfast and was still in the mood to eat more. I have a donut on hand and once I weighed it out and saw how big of an impact it would have on my daily caloric intake... I changed my mind. It really helped me evaluate if it was worth it. It wasn't. Now if i have some extra calories the end of the night then I may indulge.

Plus Once I finished weighing and considering... I wasn't even hungry anymore. Lol.

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    I reason with myself....and think about how many minutes I'd have to exercise to burn the calories off if it puts me over my target....lol.

A cup of hot tea or hot coffee (I drink both unsweetened and without cream/milk...though I might sneak a tsp or 2 of honey in the tea) often does the trick for me for minimal, if any, calories.
  • KikiBerry
    KikiBerry Posts: 64 Member
    I eat bigger meals so that I am fuller longer. 6 small meals don't work for me, I'd rather have 2 large meals and room for a later snack if I need it.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    If I am at home, I start up a video game, or get on my computer - something to distract me. At work, I focus on straightening my department, and keep my water bottle full of ice water. If I absolutely cannot fight it off, I try to keep healthy/low calorie things around our house - apples, carrots, pickles, etc. That way, if I MUST eat, it's not as big of a blow to my daily calories. :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Drink water or walk.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    edited November 2015
    Have the same issue. I'm not sure it's anxiety related? Like if I have something I'm supposed to do but don't want to do it yet or what. Don't know the answer, but thanks for starting this thread!

Here are the things I"ve tried:
    • Tea seems to help the most (more than coffee), but doesn't solve it completely or all the time.
    • Diet ice tea is my favorite drink and helps a lot with that feeling, but I can easily drink 80oz of it in 10 minutes, so I use that sparingly.
    • I've tried cold carbonated water (seltzer water), to help fill up. The problem though is that I'm not hungry, so feeling more full doesn't resolve the issue.
    • There are some days when I'm feeling more logical and balanced, and I can simply ignore the feeling knowing that I'm not hungry.
    • Other days, when nothing else works, I end up eating a bunch of stuff. If it comes down to eating, I really try to start out with celery sticks and carrots, even though I really want 15 soft-baked Peperidge farm mint-brownie cookies. Then I go to oatmeal/oatbran, 2 servings worth, add peanut butter powder, cinnamon, and use calorie free sweetener or low free syrup. That seems to help, with the heaviness of the oatmeal and the sugary taste. That's still about 300-500 calories, but like I said, I can most definitely eat 5x that in other snacks.

Good luck, and let me know what you find that works for you so I can try it out too.
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I get up and move.

Yeh. I was going to say that. When you are sitting around and feel the urge to shove something in your mouth... Walk away. Go outside. Take a walk around the block. Work in your yard or clean out the garage or something. Call your best friend and get lost in the conversation.

You already know the urge to eat is an habitual reflex. It's a habit. You are bored and, with nothing else to preoccupy your mind, you default to the eating 'thing'. But, here's a thought. If you don't already have a dead tree journal of your diet journey, start one. Go out and buy yourself a nice journal and a good ink pen and go old school. Then, when you feel the urge to grab something and start munching, grab your journal instead. Write about what you are thinking and feeling and how you want to grab something to eat even though you do not feel hungry. You just want to eat.

Focusing on what is motivating the urge can help you to understand it and, thus, conquer it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Soopatt wrote: »
    I try not to snack as little bites of things activates my hunger although I know it works for other people.

I stick to 3 planned meals and have just told myself "I don't snack and eat between meals". I just don't do it, its not a thing I do - not negotiable. Changing my thinking has really helped me so that I don't need to negotiate and ponder over it - it is just a thing I no longer do, in the same was a vegan will tell you that they do not eat meat - not sometimes, not just when they feel like it - they don't. Ever.

With the option to snack eliminated, I need to deal with occasional hunger and tea, coffee (I don't take sugar so its an almost zero calorie option) and lots of water works for this. I am also less likely to be hungry when I am busy so I do my best to avoid boredom.

Yes, this is exactly what worked for me. Whenever I fall back into the habit of snacking (like when I did a week long bike trip where I was eating all the time, as I needed the calories) I find I have to train myself again to get back into my normal schedule, but it only takes a few days -- probably a week or so the first time I did it.

When I first started this I let myself eat raw veggies when I felt the urge to snack, but nothing else, and I realized I wasn't really hungry within a few days and stopped feeling that urge to eat. Then I started just walking around a little or getting coffee (black) or water or writing a little bit about why I wanted to eat (or even just planning a dinner based on what tastes I thought I wanted).

For me it was really about habit, so changing that so I don't think about eating outside of meals was the key.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Drink water and/or brush teeth.

Sometimes I'll walk to the computer and pre-log the calories of the item I'm thinking of eating. Usually the shock of what the extra calories will do is enough to stop me from actually consuming it.
  • ClassicVegan
    ClassicVegan Posts: 7 Member
    Eat. But, I choose something with high protein. If that doesn't work, I try to change my environment by going for a walk or drive.