Detoxing

2»

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    I agree with Dianne, vlcd's combined with laxatives, with only 4 pounds to lose, are huge waving flags that you should be checked by a doctor. You could also check MFP's help section in the meantime: https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1575987-eating-disorder-resources
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Go to your nutrition charts, go to the one for fibre. Change it to show 30 days, are you mainly hitting your goal? If not that is likely your problem.
  • I don't do laxative abuse. I HATE laxatives! I only took 1 because my mom told me to because of my constipation. I usually have 1-2 bowel movements a day but then it just stopped. I eat fiber everyday along with carbs and protein.
  • Plus I don't skip meals, some days I have 3 regular meals but most days 4-6 fequent meals.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    I don't do laxative abuse. I HATE laxatives! I only took 1 because my mom told me to because of my constipation. I usually have 1-2 bowel movements a day but then it just stopped. I eat fiber everyday along with carbs and protein.

How old are you that your mom has to tell you to take a laxative if you're not moving your bowels regularly?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Have a scoop of olive oil, some coffee, and do the massage like the man in this video says. Anyway, that's my remedy. Works in about 30 min.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XGwvPoiItw
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Coffee, exercise, fibre, prune juice, McDonalds, fatty food
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    I don't do laxative abuse. I HATE laxatives! I only took 1 because my mom told me to because of my constipation. I usually have 1-2 bowel movements a day but then it just stopped. I eat fiber everyday along with carbs and protein.

I found that the more carbs I replaced with fats it was a more moving experience. Others have said the same in other words. Remember carbs are in no way required for humans to be health but we have to have protein and fat or we will greatly shorten our lifespan.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    If you're constipated, try magnesium citrate.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    If you're constipated, try magnesium citrate.

I second this. It is very effective, and usually manages to break even the most stubborn of poop droughts :lol:
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    I was having this problem recently so I upped my fat intake and dropped my carbs down for a couple days and that did the trick. I hope you get it resolved, OP. Being bloated and uncomfortable is no fun.
  • Thank you everyone, i hope some changes will work.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    It's mostly a regular problem. I tried laxatives and everything but nothing works
    You really need a doctor.

I don't know why people are saying you're starving, but if you are, constipation is a huge problem. The #1 best thing to keep you regular is exercise. People who starve generally don't do much of it because they're laying around and starving.

Even if you're starving, starve on fruits and veggies and not peanut butter cups or Oreos. The fruits and veggies give you fiber and nutrients. The less you eat, the more the choices of food have to count. Eating a normal amount of healthy food is the key to a healthy diet that makes you happy. But if you absolutely must starve, at least make the food you do eat healthy food.

If you really have an ED or any trouble with undereating, seek recovery. Starving leads to unhappiness. Recovery is the way out of the pit.

Whether you're starving or you aren't, a doctor is the best place start.

As of last month this user was coming off of a vlcd by their own admission: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10270184/coming-out-of-starvation-mode-help/p1

VLCDs often cause constipation and coupled with frequent laxative use it could be a sign of deeper issues caused by the previous diet. A trip doctor is good advice.
    I agree with Dianne, vlcd's combined with laxatives, with only 4 pounds to lose, are huge waving flags that you should be checked by a doctor. You could also check MFP's help section in the meantime: https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1575987-eating-disorder-resources

We have an OP looking to "clean out" / "detox" (depending if you look at the wording of the posts or thread title) through the use of laxatives and teas ... admittedly coming off a vlcd ... that hasn't answered basic questions of age, height, weight, and food intake ... yet the community keeps giving laxative advice.

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    It's mostly a regular problem. I tried laxatives and everything but nothing works
    You really need a doctor.

I don't know why people are saying you're starving, but if you are, constipation is a huge problem. The #1 best thing to keep you regular is exercise. People who starve generally don't do much of it because they're laying around and starving.

Even if you're starving, starve on fruits and veggies and not peanut butter cups or Oreos. The fruits and veggies give you fiber and nutrients. The less you eat, the more the choices of food have to count. Eating a normal amount of healthy food is the key to a healthy diet that makes you happy. But if you absolutely must starve, at least make the food you do eat healthy food.

If you really have an ED or any trouble with undereating, seek recovery. Starving leads to unhappiness. Recovery is the way out of the pit.

Whether you're starving or you aren't, a doctor is the best place start.

As of last month this user was coming off of a vlcd by their own admission: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10270184/coming-out-of-starvation-mode-help/p1

VLCDs often cause constipation and coupled with frequent laxative use it could be a sign of deeper issues caused by the previous diet. A trip doctor is good advice.

We have an OP looking to "clean out" / "detox" (depending if you look at the wording of the posts or thread title) through the use of laxatives and teas ... admittedly coming off a vlcd ... that hasn't answered basic questions of age, height, weight, and food intake ... yet the community keeps giving laxative advice.

Amazing isn't it? Nobody could ever accuse this forum of having a glut of careful readers...
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    edited November 2015
    Delete