December 2015 Running Challenge

If you ever thought about joining us, this is the last time to do it in 2015. Join us now to beat out the New Years Resolutionists in 2016. :-) Your virtual running group to keep you accountable and enjoy a virtual coffee with your fellow runners after you run. Make new friends and learn a few things.

Hi everyone. This is a continuation from the November (2015) Running Challenge which can be found at:
http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10276603/november-2015-running-challenge

Anyone can join in. New & Old. And if you found this thread late, you can join in at any time.
We have members that are total beginners all the way to marathon maniacs and beyond. We are a friendly and encouraging bunch.

Here the details from last month that applies here again.

Anybody want to join me for a running challenge? Set a goal here and mark it every day here. OPTIONAL: You can post your progress by creating a ticker at http://www.tickerfactory.com (If creating ones seems difficult, then don't let that stop you. Just type in your daily miles here.)

You can run, walk, or do treadmill. Just be consistent. I am setting a goal for 150 miles (I have a marathon this month on December 12th. I am in the middle of my taper and will be recovering after that. Don't let my high (or low) goal intimidate you. Some can do 25, 50; whatever you like. We can help motivate each other. What do you say? If you are new to running, set a low goal. (You can also log your miles in km's if you choose.)

You can set your goal now but wait until Tuesday December 1st to log your runs.

Also, don't forget to join our group which can be found at:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/21182-monthly-running-challange

There you will find lots of good info, and it's a place where everyone can talk to each other for further motivation. It's also a place to find help when there is a problem with this thread.

*******OPTIONAL TICKER*************
Info on tickers since I know there will be questions. Sign up for an account http://www.tickerfactory.com and create your ticker.
Then you need to update it after you do a run and post it here. Here is what you will need to do.

After setting up your ticker, you will need to make note of the weblink they give you so you can return. An example would be:

http://www.tickerfactory.com/exercise/w6K1EiX/ <<<< the last part will be a part of the image link (explained below) that will be supplied to you after you initially create your link.

When you return to TickerFactory with the weblink, go to your settings page. Make sure you type your pin in that you set when you created your ticker account.
Then where it says "Your current cumlative value, there is an add button. Just add what you just did and the cumlative value automatically changes. Then hit next.

Now after you added your new miles (or km's) to your ticker you need to post it here.

After you hit next, it will give you a bunch of codes suggesting on how to display your ticker.
Use the one at the bottom where it says Direct Image URL:

It will look something like:
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w6K1EiX/exercise.png

To display that correctly in your post, make sure you place the img tags around that link. So it will look, (removing the spaces in the img tags):

[ img ] http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w6K1EiX/exercise.png [ /img ]

^^^^^^^ Don't forget to remove the spaces between the brackets. ^^^^^^^^^^

Some key things to pay attention to when posting your ticker.

1: Use the link that ends in .png
2. Remember the [ img] and [ /img] tags go in between the link
3. remove the spaces in the img tags before posting
4. YES, there is a / in the second /img tag

Good luck! And happy running (or walking or treadmilling, ect). If you have any trouble or have questions, please feel free to PM me.

Stan

Replies

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    In for 90 again.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    In for 125 miles in December....
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    exercise.png
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    I think I'll go with 125 miles in December. My winter training is a bit different than the prior year, being more pace and time based on many runs. I suspect this will be tough starting out so I am going to forecast a bit lower total mileage than the plan would otherwise indicate just in case.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    I'm going to stick with 120 though that might be tough, I'm having some minor surgery on my wrist and doc said no running for at least 3 days after the surgery.

Thanks @stoshew71 for setting us up!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Most of November was a right off for me but I am back in the game again. Woo!

In for 100 km.
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    In for 53km
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    160 miles for December
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    75 for December for me. Same as last month.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    I'm in for 75 plus however much I missed November's goal. Will know tonight for sure!
  • smilelaughlove17
    smilelaughlove17 Posts: 134 Member
    I'm in for 45
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    I'll be in for 60 miles.
    If this rain every turns into snow, it will be a rough winter. as it is, saturday is supposed to be 50F. apparently, I didn't need to buy winter gear :wink:
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    edited November 2015
    I'm in properly this time!

We're just counting running right? Not walking or other things like swimming or cycling???
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    @emmab0902 just running, I think there is a multisport one out there too
  • mbehr1983
    mbehr1983 Posts: 29 Member
    In miles unknown maybe 30-50. I am starting marathon training on Dec 14 for the first Chattanooga Marathon on March 6th
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    exercise.png
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Hi, I'm back running. Need a bit of advice please. .

Fairly new to running, it takes me 55 minutes to run 7.5 km. I've not got as much time now so do you think that running 4.5km in 25 minutes twice a week is good enough to keep me fit? I really enjoy it I'm just not sure it's enough. ..any advice as to if you think splitting my run in two or doing the 7.5km for an hour. ..thanks guys whever you are in the world. :smiley:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    dawniemate wrote: »
    Hi, I'm back running. Need a bit of advice please. .

Fairly new to running, it takes me 55 minutes to run 7.5 km. I've not got as much time now so do you think that running 4.5km in 25 minutes twice a week is good enough to keep me fit? I really enjoy it I'm just not sure it's enough. ..any advice as to if you think splitting my run in two or doing the 7.5km for an hour. ..thanks guys whever you are in the world. :smiley:

Yes. A little bit of running is better than none! I think 2 days a week is fine.

And who wants to miss out on this great group?!
  • Elise4270
    I'm in for another 80+... Er 90+...

@Stoshew71 thanks again for the group!
    I saw a challenge and thought of you, and @skippygirlsmom, and others, It's a virtual one. 2016 miles in 2016. A bit rich for my legs. Maybe next year. Looks like I'll only be around 800 for this year.

Welcome everyone! I'm looking forward to another month with all of you!
  • Elise4270
    mbehr1983 wrote: »
    In miles unknown maybe 30-50. I am starting marathon training on Dec 14 for the first Chattanooga Marathon on March 6th

Welcome! Will this be your first marathon? I'm only toying with the marathon idea... If I'm lucky maybe the end of this year or next spring.