Coffee

2»

Replies

• JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Stevia isn't really an artificial sweetener the way Splenda and Sweet N Low are. I don't use any of it, personally, but Stevia comes from a natural source. If you like it, go for it. I use Natural Bliss creamer (which is sweetened with sugar) in my coffee and just account for it. I don't use more than 100 cals worth. It took time to reduce the amount, I used to do about 1/4 of my cup as creamer!

This might be something I try.
  • MrWilson6
    MrWilson6 Posts: 148 Member
    Common vote: artificial sweeteners suck ' lol

I'm with you on that.
  • 1098mn
    1098mn Posts: 44 Member
    I rarely drink coffee
    I drink green tea and to sweeten the green tea I add honey
  • VanessaLynn214
    VanessaLynn214 Posts: 11 Member
    1098mn wrote: »
    I rarely drink coffee
    I drink green tea and to sweeten the green tea I add honey

I LOVE coffee! However I agree with you about the tea! Add a little honey = YUM!

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited December 2015
    Stevia isn't really an artificial sweetener the way Splenda and Sweet N Low are. I don't use any of it, personally, but Stevia comes from a natural source. If you like it, go for it. I use Natural Bliss creamer (which is sweetened with sugar) in my coffee and just account for it. I don't use more than 100 cals worth. It took time to reduce the amount, I used to do about 1/4 of my cup as creamer!

OK, Except you can't lump Splenda (sucralose) in with Sweet 'N' Low (usually saccharin) because sucralose also comes from a natural source: sucrose (sugar).

ETA: The reason sucralose has no calories is because your body is unable to metabolize it after the changes. This is why sugar has calories and sucralose does not.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    I use a dash of really good maple syrup and a bit of half and half.. I drink one or two cups. Most of the time I don't even log it. One cup is roughly 40 calories. (coffee, 1 tbsp half&half, 1 tsp maple), so even if I drink two cups, don't log it, and hit my calorie goal for the day. Two cups of coffee only puts me over by 80 calories.. I just don't see it as necessary to log something that I have every single day like that.. Maybe i'm wrong.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    katy84o wrote: »
    I use a dash of really good maple syrup and a bit of half and half.. I drink one or two cups. Most of the time I don't even log it. One cup is roughly 40 calories. (coffee, 1 tbsp half&half, 1 tsp maple), so even if I drink two cups, don't log it, and hit my calorie goal for the day. Two cups of coffee only puts me over by 80 calories.. I just don't see it as necessary to log something that I have every single day like that.. Maybe i'm wrong.

I am the same way, which is also why I don't log water... I don't feel a need to log something with very low or zero calories. Except I started logging diet soda in Sept. when I decided to try to cut back. Logging it helps me go back and see how much I consume or haven't consumed. So there are non-calorie reasons to log things for some users.

As I get closer to my goal weight, I'll probably start logging those 10-15 calorie items (coffee & supplements). I've done it before when I was in plateaus and trying to get the most accurate data available, but stopped when I experienced results as expected. I am aware that as I have less to lose, the margin or error will become smaller and I'll need to log those calories.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I like stevia in other things but if I don't have room for sugar/cream in my coffee I'm definitely going to drink it black. That stuff is nasty in coffee.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    I prefer splenda myself. Stevia tastes awful.