December Chat

Options
retirehappy
retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
Forgot to start this thread, sorry.

With the colder weather and snow, etc. These workouts on the blog today might come in handy:

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/4-indoor-cardio-routines-that-are-more-effective-and-fun-than-the-treadmill/

I used the treadmill at one of the motels while traveling and remembered how very much I HATE them, so boring. 15 mins. felt like and hour. Dancing and walking are much more my style of exercise.

Replies

• sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    So true. I've tried reading, watching TV on treadmill. Would rather dance while no one is watching. :-)
  • retirehappy
    Options
    This link has some good music to dance to:

renewmusic.com/

• sharondtd
    Options
    Android app users, the new update fixed both issues, the big problem and the lesser problem.. The worst was not being able to see complete diaries of friends and the irritation was of not being able to see what I was inputting in the forum posts.
    Log on, all, especially during the holiday season. :-)
  • retirehappy
    Options
    For those of us who geek out and use our tablets and smartphones for monitoring our behaviors, here is an app from Stanford University to check out. You design what you want to track and the apps gives you graphs and charts to measure your progress.

patienteducation.stanford.edu/myactionplanner/

The FAQ says it isn't available for Kindles (nor Nooks), but I know for a fact Kindles will side load any android apps. PM me if you need to know how to side load apps on Kindle, sorry don't know if it is even possible on Nooks.

Sharon, I know you had gotten pretty frustrated with android lately, glad they got the bugs out for ya.
  • Itreadlightly
    Itreadlightly Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am back here tracking after a several month break. I have had some major life changes-the biggest one is I moved from the isolation of of our ranch ( 15 miles to town) to a beach community where I would not be so isolated.
    Shortly after I spent some time visiting my family - lived out of my suitcase for 3 weeks.
    What is interesting is the habits I acquired held up well and I did not gain weight. I walked a lot when I was on vacation but did not count steps or calories.
    Here at my new home I walk with several others in the mornings and the beach is close as well.
    So back to tracking and hello to you all!
  • retirehappy
    Options
    I am back here tracking after a several month break. I have had some major life changes-the biggest one is I moved from the isolation of of our ranch ( 15 miles to town) to a beach community where I would not be so isolated.
    Shortly after I spent some time visiting my family - lived out of my suitcase for 3 weeks.
    What is interesting is the habits I acquired held up well and I did not gain weight. I walked a lot when I was on vacation but did not count steps or calories.
    Here at my new home I walk with several others in the mornings and the beach is close as well.
    So back to tracking and hello to you all!

Welcome back. I am a beach bum at heart and having a beach and others to walk with sounds great to me.

Glad your new habits helped you out.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to pop in and say Happy Chanukah to any people who may be celebrating this week. It's just me and hubby now, but dinner was made and candles are lit. For me, it isn't necessarily religion, but a tradition, that my non-Jewish husband of many years, encourages. This is the season of miracles, light, and peace. Enjoy everyone!
  • retirehappy
    Options
    gramanana wrote: »
    I just wanted to pop in and say Happy Chanukah to any people who may be celebrating this week. It's just me and hubby now, but dinner was made and candles are lit. For me, it isn't necessarily religion, but a tradition, that my non-Jewish husband of many years, encourages. This is the season of miracles, light, and peace. Enjoy everyone!

Thanks for stopping by. We miss you when you don't post :'(

Have a wonderful holiday season and may the world move more towards the light and peace, and that is gonna take a miracle right now.

Happy Hollies
  • sharondtd
    Options
    Happy Chanukkah. We know off that miracle, and let's sincerely hope miracles continue.
    GLAD to see folks getting back in touch, finding new ways to maintain their health. It's a good habit.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    It's more difficult to pop in using the iPad, at least, for me. But I'll try to be here more often. Not much to say, just holding my own which, of course, is a good thing. I don't know if I told this group, but I was diagnosed with mild to moderate COPD earlier this year and I'm not quite over the ups and downs to acceptance yet. I go to the Y twice a week for enhanced fitness and chair yoga to teach me how to w to control my breathing and strengthen my muscles. I don't know if I'll be able to go when the snow starts to fall because the Y is about 35minutes away through farm land. We'll see--I did it through a bad fog today! Be well everyone and enjoy the holidays, whichever one you celebrate!
  • retirehappy
    Options
    gramanana wrote: »
    It's more difficult to pop in using the iPad, at least, for me. But I'll try to be here more often. Not much to say, just holding my own which, of course, is a good thing. I don't know if I told this group, but I was diagnosed with mild to moderate COPD earlier this year and I'm not quite over the ups and downs to acceptance yet. I go to the Y twice a week for enhanced fitness and chair yoga to teach me how to w to control my breathing and strengthen my muscles. I don't know if I'll be able to go when the snow starts to fall because the Y is about 35minutes away through farm land. We'll see--I did it through a bad fog today! Be well everyone and enjoy the holidays, whichever one you celebrate!

Take notes in the class and do as many of the exercises as you can at home. Youtube has lots of good yoga videos, some not so good as well, but worth checking out.

The snow around here is pretty but a real hassle when driving so I know all too well how driving that far might not be possible in winter months.

Glad to hear you are doing okay in the diet department. You have come so very far.
  • Itreadlightly
    Options
    Crazy weather. Windy and rain but I did bundle up and walk this am.
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Happy Hanukkah, @gramanana and all who are lighting up the candles this week. And welcome back, @Itreadlightly! ~ Kathy

ha1u588m1sx1.jpg
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Crazy weather. Windy and rain but I did bundle up and walk this am.

You're a better woman than me. The 50+ mph wind kept me indoors, with no rain. I used dvds to get my 10 K in.
    Whatever works!
  • DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to do a quick check in. The craziness is my life is not quite over. Next week I have a colonoscopy and just completed my physical therapy so its winding down. My husband had some complications with his ankle surgery and will not be off work until January 11th, so I am going to have to deal with getting back on program with him home and that is not going to be easy. Considering everything, I have stayed pretty stable but my journaling and exercise have suffered and I am going to start working on that today. I also need a new computer keyboard and just typing this is challenging! Will stop back in at the beginning of the week when I hope to be back in full swing!
  • sharondtd
    Options
    Just figured out the cute slippers I wear here in Nevada do something to my step count. Been wondering, since it seemed I was moving a much as usual in the house. Switched to outside slip ons, and yup, I am still moving. :-)
  • Itreadlightly
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Been walking on my treadmill - the wind and the rain! What a dramatic weather week here on the central Oregon coast. The surf is up over the stairs I usually take to the beachypaty6hw3brr.jpeg
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Snowy day, it is a mess out there right now. No outdoor walking today :(. I have been using the Overdrive app for Kindle to get books from my
    local library. It is so easy to to just spend and spend in the Kindle store, and a lot of them are not worth reading. A few have been very good, but
    not my style really for most of them. So getting to grab books from the city library is a real treat for me.
  • sharondtd
    Options
    Husband has put foot down on playing tennis while the wind is blowing and it's cold. Subbing other things.
  • sharondtd
    Options
    Cool photo of your beach steps. !!!!