Oh my god, that was awful! (low-cal products you tried and hated)

Replies

• marigold125
    marigold125 Posts: 4 Member
    My husband loves the stuff. I think it tastes like paper towels.

Yeah, two slices of this stuff versus one slice of real bread - the choice is yours!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    One time, I felt like a grilled cheese sandwich. I got some horrible sliced stuff (I think it's the kind you can't legally call cheese) that *doesn't really melt*, it just beads up into these plastic looking balls
  • chelsea7162
    chelsea7162 Posts: 97 Member

Almond milk, or any nut/seed milk for that matter. Stop calling it milk, it's not. It tastes like chalk water. The only way I can enjoy it is if I make it myself, heat half of it to increase the viscosity, then blend it with the other half and a bit of butter, at which point it stops being low cal.

Almond milk isn't for everyone and if you're drinking it, always get the sweetened stuff. Coconut milk and chocolate almond milk is the way to go. Cashew milk is amazing too but don't expect it to taste like cow milk.
  • tomatoey
    Anything with stevia. It has a horrible chemical aftertaste which is strange since it is a plant. Give me real sugar any day (yes, I worship the sugar devil).
    Any diet soda except Diet Dr. Pepper. That seems to be the only diet soda that tastes like the regular version. I'm getting to where I can tolerate Coke Zero but Diet Coke is horrid.
    Low fat cheese sucks, too.

Oh yeah big +1 to Stevia. Any artificial sweetener is disgusting (for taste reasons only I'm talking), but Stevia = your mouth dying.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

Almond milk, or any nut/seed milk for that matter. Stop calling it milk, it's not. It tastes like chalk water. The only way I can enjoy it is if I make it myself, heat half of it to increase the viscosity, then blend it with the other half and a bit of butter, at which point it stops being low cal.

Almond milk isn't for everyone and if you're drinking it, always get the sweetened stuff. Coconut milk and chocolate almond milk is the way to go. Cashew milk is amazing too but don't expect it to taste like cow milk.

It's not that I expected it to taste like milk, I knew it didn't, I was just unprepared that it does not have the mouthfeel of milk. That satisfying rich creamy taste. Even coconut milk, the real thing not the diluted low calorie version, still cannot compare with whole fat milk, or even low fat.. despite being almost as thick as cream it still has watery undertones. Nut milks feel too "wet"... it's hard to explain.
  • tomatoey

It's not that I expected it to taste like milk, I knew it didn't, I was just unprepared that it does not have the mouthfeel of milk. That satisfying rich creamy taste. Even coconut milk, the real thing not the diluted low calorie version, still cannot compare with whole fat milk, or even low fat.. despite being almost as thick as cream it still has watery undertones. Nut milks feel too "wet"... it's hard to explain.

Would it help to think of them as "nut drinks"?
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    007Aggie wrote: »
    Laughing cow "cheddar" wedges. It was like eating processed cheese mixed with acetone.

FWIW, I eat a Swiss one just about every day.

Anything from LC is gross to me. I need full fat, real dairy.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Arctic Zero was perhaps the only time I actively wondered how to make myself vomit.

Anything made of sea kelp. I refuse to believe this stuff is edible.

Dannon Light and Fit yogurt makes me cry for my Mummy to wash my mouth out with soap.

Black bean brownies. Just no.
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    ekruska802 wrote: »
    Any fat free dairy product. They always feel weird in my mouth. I also tried Kashi cookies once. They tasted like responsible, which is not what I want in a cookie.

Lmao!!!!!
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    tomatoey wrote: »
    One time, I felt like a grilled cheese sandwich. I got some horrible sliced stuff (I think it's the kind you can't legally call cheese) that *doesn't really melt*, it just beads up into these plastic looking balls

Yes, as far as I can remember I have always hated sliced or jist American cheese in general. I was the only kid who hated grilled cheese unless it was made with cheddar which was rare back then (80's) for some reason. That stuff is vile.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    pssssh. Threads like this made me not want to try Arctic Zero. After I finally did, I don't know what all the fuss is about. Add some powdered pb, Walden Farms, maybe an oreo. You got yourself 200 calories of a frozen treat, high volume. To each his own. Oh, and I get my shirataki on all the time.
  • LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    Flavored seltzer or tonic water. Blech!
    Also caramel or chocolate flavored "light" yogurts. Just...no. I like whole milk yogurt such as Noosa.

I second this! I also dislike flavored waters. ugh
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    i tried some sort of sugar-free jam. awful. same for low-cal dressing. olive oil all the way!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    A lot of the low fat low cal stuff is so gross. It's either bitter from artificial sweetener or extra sweet from trying to compensate for fat removal (non fat ranch is so sweet it could be a dessert sauce ick)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Weight Watchers Mint Brownie Bites.

Dry, chemical taste, really off putting plastic - like texture of the icing that separated from the brownie. Totally unsatisfying and not at all worth th 80 calories.
  • midge_m
    midge_m Posts: 1,085 Member
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    Pretty much anything by Walden Farms, excluding the pancake syrup.

Yes! I sent my BF to the store one for chocolate sauce for something I was taking to a work party and Walden farms is what he came home with. To this day every food day we talk about how revolting it was.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    I don't spend (waste money) on "diet" foods. But I did buy fat free brick cheese once (didn't realize till I got home) It was pretty gross. I find the more low fat foods are the more processed it is and higher in sodium and sugar so I buy full fat foods. That's just me.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I didn't like PB2. Mixed into smoothies and other things, I couldn't detect any hint of peanut buttery taste...and mixed with water, it never reached a consistency I was happy with. I wouldn't say it's bad like a lot of the other things named in this thread...just pointless to me, and not worth giving up peanut butter.