Lost weight while working out at home? Anybody?

Replies

• rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited December 2015
    I lost 80 lbs and have been maintaining for over 2 and a half years. Haven't stepped one foot inside of a gym the entire time and I'm super fit.

I built up a home gym with a variety things such as weights, stepper, a mini-stepper, jump rope, hula hoop, a Pilates Reformer, resistance bands etc. Plus I use Youtube (Jessica Smith and Fitness Blender mainly) and exercise dvd's. I love to walk outside when I can and I use walking workouts.

You can get into the best shape of your life without a gym membership. :)
  • JustChristy79
    JustChristy79 Posts: 156 Member

I went from a size 20 to a size 6 by just walking.

Later I added P90X, running, Fitness Blender workouts, wii Fit, etc, but I've never had a gym membership. The nearest gym to my house is an hour round trip. I'm a busy mom! Ain't nobody got time for that!

You absolutely can lose weight without a gym membership. : )
    That's interesting how long did it take you? And how many miles did you used to walk?

I don't know exactly. I wasn't keeping track of anything. Looking back, I don't know how I lost so much weight not tracking anything or even weighing myself, but I did. I started walking during my sons soccer practice, so about 90 min. Later, I added a 30 min walk with my husband after dinner. So about 2 hours a day, I guess. I probably lost about 50 lbs in 5 months. After that I was kind of up & down, depending on how motivated I was, but eventually lost a little more.

z0ynbf947cbx.jpeg

• MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    I haven't gone to the gym and have lost almost 70lbs. I Have an exercise bike that I use in my basement. I ride it approx 50-60 minutes a day, 7 days a week, no excuses.
    How long did it take u to loose 70 pounds thats alot!

It's only been 2 1/2 months or so, but I was 388lbs to start so I lost weight alot faster than most because of how big I was and how low of a calorie intake I started at(doctor approved). Then I started working out and the lbs came off faster.
  • JustChristy79
    JustChristy79 Posts: 156 Member
    I haven't gone to the gym and have lost almost 70lbs. I Have an exercise bike that I use in my basement. I ride it approx 50-60 minutes a day, 7 days a week, no excuses.

It's only been 2 1/2 months or so, but I was 388lbs to start so I lost weight alot faster than most because of how big I was and how low of a calorie intake I started at(doctor approved). Then I started working out and the lbs came off faster.

Interesting. That's really amazing. What was your suggested calorie intake, if you don't mind sharing??? I promise not to judge or tell you that you're doing it all wrong--because obviously you're doing great! (Of course, I can't speak for everyone else. Ha!)
  • Eri0515
    Eri0515 Posts: 85 Member
    There is a gym in the complex I live in but I hate the way they have it set up. As soon as you open the front door to the office the first thing you see is a wall of glass into the gym. Sorry but I'm not a fish and I don't want to be on display. So, I have lost 33 lbs without being in the gym. The only workout I have done was this past summer, water walking in the pool.
  • babylovers
    babylovers Posts: 66 Member
    I lost most my weight(80 pounds) doing one session each day of Jillian Michaels shredded and eating a strict diet. It can be done I do believe you loose weight in the kitchen tho.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    All my workouts are at home indoors. Started with Fitnessblender, added adjustable dumbbells and eventually barbell, weights, bench and rack. Lost 55 lbs but weight loss was mostly because of calorie deficit.
  • katzunghope
    katzunghope Posts: 28 Member
    I went from a size 20 to a size 6 by just walking.

Later I added P90X, running, Fitness Blender workouts, wii Fit, etc, but I've never had a gym membership. The nearest gym to my house is an hour round trip. I'm a busy mom! Ain't nobody got time for that!

You absolutely can lose weight without a gym membership. : )
    That's interesting how long did it take you? And how many miles did you used to walk?

I don't know exactly. I wasn't keeping track of anything. Looking back, I don't know how I lost so much weight not tracking anything or even weighing myself, but I did. I started walking during my sons soccer practice, so about 90 min. Later, I added a 30 min walk with my husband after dinner. So about 2 hours a day, I guess. I probably lost about 50 lbs in 5 months. After that I was kind of up & down, depending on how motivated I was, but eventually lost a little more.

z0ynbf947cbx.jpeg

loulamb7 wrote: »
    All my workouts are at home indoors. Started with Fitnessblender, added adjustable dumbbells and eventually barbell, weights, bench and rack. Lost 55 lbs but weight loss was mostly because of calorie deficit.
    Eri0515 wrote: »
    There is a gym in the complex I live in but I hate the way they have it set up. As soon as you open the front door to the office the first thing you see is a wall of glass into the gym. Sorry but I'm not a fish and I don't want to be on display. So, I have lost 33 lbs without being in the gym. The only workout I have done was this past summer, water walking in the pool.

You guys are so much inspiring!!!!!
  • TasnimEz
    TasnimEz Posts: 280 Member
    I haven't been to a gym at all, never have while losing weight. This time around I started with just Leslie Sansone walking videos, turns out my neurological condition makes me not tolerate exercise like that very well so a few months in I found pilates. Did only that (random videos at my level) for 6 months. Just recently started lifting, I follow the program in the free mini course by Nia Shanks. 3 days a week and on rest days I take short walks. Simple and effective.
    I lose weight very slowly though but that's because I eat at a tiny deficit, but really, losing weight at home without a gym is 100% possible. :smile:
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    I lost over 50lbs without going to the gym. I used a wii fit in my living room, and started walking more. I am a total gym nut now, but then no way did I want anyone to see me!
  • angelnymphet
    angelnymphet Posts: 4 Member
    I used to be 75kg after breaking my leg but after it healed I got to 65kg by exercising at home the summer before last summer. I did workouts from YouTube, it's free and the Zumba ones are especially fun to do. Now I got Insanity Max 30(am starting it today).

I can't afford to go to the gym. I'd have to pay for transportation because going by foot for an hour and a half is time-consuming and I am a student that has a job.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    I don't like gyms. I have a treadmill and lost the majority of my weight walking on it while watching all 10 seasons of Supernatural on Netflix. :) I set a rule for myself that I could not watch it unless I was on my treadmill. Sam and Dean have a way of keeping me walking a lot.
  • BleuBerryS
    BleuBerryS Posts: 80 Member
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I don't like gyms. I have a treadmill and lost the majority of my weight walking on it while watching all 10 seasons of Supernatural on Netflix. :) I set a rule for myself that I could not watch it unless I was on my treadmill. Sam and Dean have a way of keeping me walking a lot.

Thats a really good idea, I should do that.
  • MalkinMagic71

Interesting. That's really amazing. What was your suggested calorie intake, if you don't mind sharing??? I promise not to judge or tell you that you're doing it all wrong--because obviously you're doing great! (Of course, I can't speak for everyone else. Ha!)

I started at between 1200 and 1250 when I first started. I think my doctor started me that though because he thought I probably wouldn't stick to it. I've since upped it a bit between 1300-1400 a day. I honestly could probably eat a bit more with how much I work out, but for me at least I'm in a pretty good spot. I'm not hungry during the day, I can still eat the foods I want(in moderation), and when I know I'm going to go out and have a big meal like this last weekend then I do an extra workout to compensate for it. It may not work for everyone, but it has been working well for me.
  • Stop1510
    Stop1510 Posts: 26 Member
    @MalkinMagic71 Congratulations on your loss that is awesome:) I am getting a recumbant bike next week and I was wondering if you have an upright bike or recumbant bike. I don't think it will make too much of a difference for me as long as I am moving and getting my heart rate up but I was just curious what you use and how you like your bike.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I lost weight without having to 'leave the house' to workout, all my workout were youtube or dvd - Fitness Blender/Jessica Smith/Jillian Michaels/ Nerd Fitness....and I walk outdoors when its not lashing with rain!
    I lost 2 dress sizes/21lbs going from a UK 14 to a UK 10 through counting calories and exercising basically at home. Absolutely doable and been maintaining that loss for 2+ years :smile: Its all about consistency :smile:
  • bkbenda
    bkbenda Posts: 265 Member
    Lots of good suggestions already provided. I would add to check out "You Are Your Own Gym". It is a program that uses body weight exercises and can be done anywhere. A weight lifting program will help preserve muscles while losing weight. There is an app that has a lot of exercises to build your own program as well as prebuilt programs. There is a book by the same title and another book "Body By You" that is geared for women. The app provides enough info to get started but the books are excellent resources.
  • MalkinMagic71
    Stop1510 wrote: »
    @MalkinMagic71 Congratulations on your loss that is awesome:) I am getting a recumbant bike next week and I was wondering if you have an upright bike or recumbant bike. I don't think it will make too much of a difference for me as long as I am moving and getting my heart rate up but I was just curious what you use and how you like your bike.

I haven an upright bike. I initially bought one from Target that was under 200$.. it worked great for me. Then i came across someone selling a nordictrack bike for 100$ that they never used. So I snatched that up and got a 500$ machine for 100$, so now I use that one more often than not, and the bike from Target my wife uses and I use on occasion to change things up.
  • Stop1510
    Stop1510 Posts: 26 Member
    @MalkinMagic71 The upright is probably more challenging, I am guessing but starting with a recumbant is better than not starting at all (I Hope). That was a great snag on the Nordictrack! My bike was under $ 200 as well, made by Exerpeutic, the reviews were good. I see much of your success had to do with restricting calories as well something I need to work on. Congratulations again and hope you continue on your downward slope of weight loss.
  • DarrenKH
    DarrenKH Posts: 21 Member
    edited December 2015
    These personal examples are amazing, I will have to try some, and will show this to my wife and a few others. I run and swim, mainly, but I want more strengthening exercises etc. A friend on MFP has lost almost 30 lbs using an elliptical, and I'm thinking of getting one second hand.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!